Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Von Ryan's Express 1965

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
I streamed this last night and watched the original in stunning HD for the first time ever. Hadn't watched it at all in a long time. Alert readers may remember that this was a favorite of Rick Nueheisel and he said he always rooted for Ryan to make it at the end
even though he dies every time you watch it

Talk about a role tailor made for Johnny Fontaine. If you could show one Frank Sinatra movie this would be a good one. He's the Star.

This was 20 years after the war and as a kid growing up that's all we watched. Nobody hated the Nazis more than baby boomers in their living rooms

The 60's were also the evolution of the war movie from the propaganda John Wayne of the 50's to the counter culture heroes of the 60's like Kelly's Heroes.

Nazis weren't cartoon characters which made them more scary. They were "good Germans" doing horrible things.

All this and a bottle of wine and a fresh bowl while watching.

NOC I am sure

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's a criminally underrated WW2 film. Frankie was a terrific actor. As good as Bing if not better.

Imagine if Elvis could have acted.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863

I streamed this last night and watched the original in stunning HD for the first time ever. Hadn't watched it at all in a long time. Alert readers may remember that this was a favorite of Rick Nueheisel and he said he always rooted for Ryan to make it at the end

Talk about a role tailor made for Johnny Fontaine. If you could show one Frank Sinatra movie this would be a good one. He's the Star.

This was 20 years after the war and as a kid growing up that's all we watched. Nobody hated the Nazis more than baby boomers in their living rooms

The 60's were also the evolution of the war movie from the propaganda John Wayne of the 50's to the counter culture heroes of the 60's like Kelly's Heroes.

Nazis weren't cartoon characters which made them more scary. They were "good Germans" doing horrible things.

NOC I am sure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zwW7iWinrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlywcuw-1TU
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    Swaye's Wigwam

NOC I am sure

Both Von Ryan and the Great Escape had prisoners gunned down by the Nazis. As a kid that was shocking
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

NOC I am sure

My old man gets too sad watching The Great Escape.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,075
    Founders Club

NOC I am sure
    Okay Boomer!
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,547
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was reading a story about Scott Grady on his 6 day journey in Bosnia being chased by Serbs during the war in the mid 90's so watched Behind Enemy Lines last night.

How could they screw up a story based on true events. Wasn't even close. The movie was OK until the ending - just ridiculous ending.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    LebamDawg said:

I was reading a story about Scott Grady on his 6 day journey in Bosnia being chased by Serbs during the war in the mid 90's so watched Behind Enemy Lines last night.

How could they screw up a story based on true events. Wasn't even close. The movie was OK until the ending - just ridiculous ending.

*O'Grady

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,312
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

NOC I am sure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwEv6N37gPY