Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Crypto doomsday

2»

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    My father in law has a semi for crypto right now. His thought is it's more a hedge against the dollar should something happen. My thought is that if the US dollar collapses you'd be smarter to own gold and bullets for bartering and defending what's yours. Crypto is useless in that situation, IMO.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021

My father in law has a semi for crypto right now. His thought is it's more a hedge against the dollar should something happen. My thought is that if the US dollar collapses you'd be smarter to own gold and bullets for bartering and defending what's yours. Crypto is useless in that situation, IMO.

That’s pretty much how I think about it and what I’d do.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    DJDuck said:

Don’t have much to ad except we are a stable Couple that own our home and have $400,000 equity in it. All our kids went to private school at great expense. We are retired and living comfortably.

We also are invested in Cryptocurrenncy and it has done very well for us.

Your husband sounds like quite the risk taker
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

Don’t have much to ad except we are a stable Couple that own our home and have $400,000 equity in it. All our kids went to private school at great expense. We are retired and living comfortably.

No tomfoolery!
  • Options
    dnc said:

DJDuck said:

We’re going to have to have a talk about the bullying. This is a safe space on HCH.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,178
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I get the whole blockchain technology. Lots of cool applications - title industry comes to mind. Also anything that needs a clear chain of ownership/transactions - royalty interests in oil & gas come to mind. Both super labor intensive paper-pushing, recording at court houses, etc. Pain in the ass.

I do NOT get crypto currency. Looks to me to be a commodity trade and until it becomes more fungible as a means of exchange, I can't wrap my head around it as an investment. I can put my money in, but how the fuck do I get it out without paying some banker-man a fee to convert it to cold hard cash.....which is kind of what they are trying to avoid in the first place.

Until I can go to the grocery store and buy pepperoni sticks (Hempler's best, by the way- the jalapeno cheese is goddamned delicious) and vodka with my phone/bitcoin, it doesn't do me much good.

Da fuq is a fungible?
    Mushrooms?
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,859
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

Have a friend that has made some money off of it and talks constantly about it. His main point is that the dollar is going to inflate and isn’t backed by anything. That’s true of any currency really though.While I’m no fan of the US monetary policy, the dollar is backed by something, the US military.
  • Options
    I'd rather spend my 10.99 on crypto than on a subscription to Dawgman.com.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Bob_C said:

Have a friend that has made some money off of it and talks constantly about it. His main point is that the dollar is going to inflate and isn’t backed by anything. That’s true of any currency really though.While I’m no fan of the US monetary policy, the dollar is backed by something, the US military.
    The dollar is backed by more than that. Channeling @UW_Doog_Bot here, but the dollar is backed by ... the entirety that is the United States. All the Tug Chicken Little hysteria aside, where else you wanna be more than here?

My Dad, the Cuban one with the broken Engrish, and I got into a good political debate the other night. As I do in the Tug, I pointed out that Trump was 8 for 10 with me, but I like to talk about his fuck-ups, otherwise it's a dick pulling contest and those are no fun (for me anyway).

He's a Trump guy 100, and will never move an inch. Even on the hair. Anyway, he got fired up at me, felt like I was trading barbs with @RaceBannon , and went on this passionate speech. The executive summary is he loves this country, he wasn't born here but he's going to die here and his kids and grandkids call it home. He's an American and he is going to oppose anybody and anything that has designs on weakening or hurting it. He really means it.

Now, the guy lives a little over 90 miles from where he was born and spent his childhood. People speak Spanish there and much of the culture he knew can still be felt there. The land and the climate is similar to Cuba as well. Why does he love this place so much? The same reason why the US dollar isn't just backed by the US military. It's backed by what this country has been and still is. The fact that you can make it here without having been born into a given set of social circumstances. All of that leads to all of what we have here. That's what's backing the dollar. The country. The economy. The people. The ingenuity and creativity. The educational and economic and political opportunities. All of that.

• Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

No worries DJ. Your contributions here are appreciated.

I will say that you’re the only person in your age range who I personally know who owns crypto.

@DJDuck’s age may be the perfect age to invest in Bitcoin for short-term as he also has equity in a home and I assume hard currency savings and market assets.

I don’t see how a “currency” that isn’t backed by a nation-state and all of those associated resources is a long-term winner, but I admit I’m just getting up to speed on it and @jecornel’s article posted made more sense than most things I’ve read on it.

• Options

No worries DJ. Your contributions here are appreciated.

I will say that you’re the only person in your age range who I personally know who owns crypto.

@DJDuck’s age may be the perfect age to invest in Bitcoin for short-term as he also has equity in a home and I assume hard currency savings and market assets.

I don’t see how a “currency” that isn’t backed by a nation-state and all of those associated resources is a long-term winner, but I admit I’m just getting up to speed on it and @jecornel’s article posted made more sense than most things I’ve read on it.

Agreed on all that.