Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Point of the day...

HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Follow this guy on Twitter...have my own thoughts on him but thought this was appropriate for this bored.

And if things aren't looking good in your portfolio...

Comments

• Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,502
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Follow this guy on Twitter...have my own thoughts on him but thought this was appropriate for this bored.

Don't confuse IQ with QE. Very powerful message in just a few words.
    I'm at the lowest % of equities since 2000 based on this thinking.
    Of course, I may be wrong but the mounting risk has me seeking calmer waters.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2021
    Blu82 said:

I bought $5000 in Zoom last year at ~$50a share and my brother bought the same. That one easy buy is now sitting at over $34,000. What would you do?

I’m not a Finance Guy other than being aware but my brother and I and our wives saw Zoom as a good buy so we jumped in.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Blu82 said:

Interesting. I asked this question the other day and got few takers. Basically, is it time to park equities in your retirement until the market resets?

It's a balance of FOMO on incremental value loss vs. riding the market down and missing an opportunity to jump back on good buying opportunities.

I have never sold all of my equities. I'm not that kind of guy. I'm a buy and hold kind of guy, so when the shit hits the fan, I get hit. But I also don't panic and sell when things are shitty either.

I'm just wondering if now the signs are so obvious that it makes sense to finally do it.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021
    As an s&p 500 heavy guy for your core investment, you should never sell and continue your cash allocation into it Full steam ahead. For all of the reasons you set it up that way in the first place. Just keep Buying shares. Reinvesting all cash, CG and distributions.

Yes, even now. It’s the only way to hang with the 90%. What If S&P 500 is headed to 5,000? 10, 25k? Don’t fight the fed.
    One day, you can just switch the lever over to paying dividends in cash, if needed.

As I recall you’re 60% sp 40% other, right?

Still not sure where this board is going, but it has great potential.

Thanks Creep for running it.

• Options
    doogie said:

As an s&p 500 heavy guy for your core investment, you should never sell and continue your cash allocation into it Full steam ahead. For all of the reasons you set it up that way in the first place. Just keep Buying shares. Reinvesting all cash, CG and distributions.

Yes, even now. It’s the only way to hang with the 90%. What If S&P 500 is headed to 5,000? 10, 25k? Don’t fight the fed.
    One day, you can just switch the lever over to paying dividends in cash, if needed.

Happy to do it. My sense is that it's going to take a good mix of topics. Along with straight, hardcore trading chat, we need to mix it up. I'm serious when I say that political economy, along with pure econ talk, is fair game here. We've got real estate investment with @pawz , which, as Derek intimated the other day, may be the single most important topic for most of us from a wealth building standpoint.

I didn't realize until I came to this sub-board, but there are some hard core finance guys here. @godawgst is a Fin Techie. He and @UW_Doog_Bot had some good exchanges. You couldn't read through all that and not come away with something and be just a little smarter. The @89ute is a sophisticated trader. There are many others. @Tequilla is in the game. If we turn all you guys and the many others here loose, yeah, there is a lot of potential for a meaningful exchange.

I've always found that when you're around a lot of smart people and you express yourself, the process of those other people checking you, agreeing with you, disagreeing you, amplifying what you said, pointing out the implications of what you said ... all that benefits you tremendously, and so it stands to reason someone else might get something out of it.

It's no joke: there are a lot of smart dudes on HCH. I think back to the Dawgman dayz and lolz ... that place has nothing on this one.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    doogie said:

Yep. A little over 60% S&P, close to 40% Extended Mkt. Index. In the investment account some MS, Cisco and few other techs I bought after the tech. bubble blew up in March 2000, and I've just held. Back then, never did I think there would be dividends to reinvest with those companies. It was unheard of.

I'm glad someone thinks so. This is what my temperament is built for, and I'm not ready to build bond ladders. I'm not that old. I can't imagine just picking day and getting all the way out of it only to watch the market keep climbing.

In fast strategy and slow strategy, I'm definitely genetically coded for slow strategy. When I'm down $500 at the black jack table in Vegas, I walk away and start focusing on the other things to do down there and I never look back. I swing to get on base. It's just who I am.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,810
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

doogie said:

Happy to do it. My sense is that it's going to take a good mix of topics. Along with straight, hardcore trading chat, we need to mix it up. I'm serious when I say that political economy, along with pure econ talk, is fair game here. We've got real estate investment with @pawz , which, as Derek intimated the other day, may be the single most important topic for most of us from a wealth building standpoint.

I didn't realize until I came to this sub-board, but there are some hard core finance guys here. @godawgst is a Fin Techie. He and @UW_Doog_Bot had some good exchanges. You couldn't read through all that and not come away with something and be just a little smarter. The @89ute is a sophisticated trader. There are many others. @Tequilla is in the game. If we turn all you guys and the many others here loose, yeah, there is a lot of potential for a meaningful exchange.

I've always found that when you're around a lot of smart people and you express yourself, the process of those other people checking you, agreeing with you, disagreeing you, amplifying what you said, pointing out the implications of what you said ... all that benefits you tremendously, and so it stands to reason someone else might get something out of it.

It's no joke: there are a lot of smart dudes on HCH. I think back to the Dawgman dayz and lolz ... that place has nothing on this one.
    Hurtful.
  • Options

doogie said:

Hurtful.
    Forensic accounting and securities regulation? I’m all in.
  • Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,502
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Blu82 said:

I bought $5000 in Zoom last year at ~$50a share and my brother bought the same. That one easy buy is now sitting at over $34,000. What would you do?

I’m not a Finance Guy other than being aware but my brother and I and our wives saw Zoom as a good buy so we jumped in.
    Never fall in love with your inventory.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Never fall in love with your inventory.
    It’s a nice addition to it. When Apple or MS buys them boom Zoom it’s go time? Or am I reading it wrong?