Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Another outrageous chapter in the destruction of Western Civilization

DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited January 2021 in Tug Tavern
British University Dropping Study of Chaucer as it ‘Decolonises’ Curriculum

“would end all teaching on texts central to the development of the English language, including the Dark Age epic poem Beowulf, as well as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight”

“ Foundational texts such asThe Canterbury Tales and the Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf would no longer be taught, under proposals to scrap medieval literature. Instead, the English faculty will be refocused to drop centuries of the literary canon and deliver a “decolonised” curriculum devoted to diversity.”

“ Professors were told that, to facilitate change, management planned to stop all English language courses, cease medieval literature, and reduce early modern literature offerings.

Despite Chaucer’s position as “the father of English literature”, he will no longer be taught if plans currently under consultation go ahead.

They would end all teaching on texts central to the development of the English language, including the Dark Age epic poem Beowulf, as well as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Sir Thomas Malory’s Le Morte D’Arthur, the Viking sagas, and all works written earlier than 1500 would also be removed from the syllabus.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/01/british-university-dropping-study-of-chaucer-as-it-decolonises-curriculum/

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,868
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Can't wait until Billy Shakespeare is cancelled as well as Saxon's "Crusader"
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Can't wait until Billy Shakespeare is cancelled as well as Saxon's "Crusader"

Othello was an Uncle Tom?

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    3 choices as I see it.

1. Get involved with the school bored where these decisions are made and effect direct local change

2. Find another (private?) school for your kids

3. Suck it up buttercup, nothing stays the same.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Juvenile doogie again embarrassed he got his ignorant ass kicked and now following me around like a little puppy nipping at my ankles.

Can you read you fucking moron?

COLLEGES DON’T HAVE SCHOOL BOARDS YOU DIPSHIT😂😂😂😂😂

THIS IS IN ENGLAND YOU IMBECILE 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Other than that hey.......😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Didn’t see College or I wouldn’t have responded.

But now I will.

Attending any college is a choice. Don’t like the offering? Pick a different restaurant. I know, it’s hard for ducks

Have you thought of moving to “England” (lol)?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,204
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I've been told knowing Chaucer won't land anyone a job. What's college for, anyway?
  • Options
    doogie said:

Didn’t see College or I wouldn’t have responded.

But now I will.

Attending any college is a choice. Don’t like the offering? Pick a different restaurant. I know, it’s hard for ducks

Have you thought of moving to “England” (lol)?

Obviously you care more about denigrating me because you keep making these inane posts than talking about English literature and it’s value to the foundations of Western Civilization. You obviously are ill prepared to discuss this subject or others like Shakespeare the Greek tragedies etc.

• Options
    Hey, dipshit.

Those voices in your head telling you things? That’s what you need to get checked out.

Ts and Ps
  • Options
    HHusky said:

I've been told knowing Chaucer won't land anyone a job. What's college for, anyway?

Looks like Pitch recognized his own words.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

As I have told you on the Shed lawyers are poorly educated lot and not very well rounded as you continue to prove. What does reading most things have to do with a job directly.HUDS you are a pitiful person. People like you don’t even realize your education was inadequate.

BTW I never thought of college as just a way to get a job. That is a pretty ignorant view.
  • Options
    DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

As I have told you on the Shed lawyers are poorly educated lot and not very well rounded as you continue to prove. What does reading most things have to do with a job directly.HUDS you are a pitiful person. People like you don’t even realize your education was inadequate.

captured before edit.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

BTW I never thought of college as just a way to get a job. That is a pretty ignorant view.
    This is awesome! Really.

You don't follow the bored too good, Deej.
  • Options
    doogie said:

DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

captured before edit.
    Oh no! What does that mean moron? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Wow ya got me this time. Wow you really have an obsession. I’m glad to take so much of a moron’s time. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    Captured before edit! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 😂😂😂😂😂🤫
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    HHusky said:

DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

This is awesome! Really.

I don’t care about the board. It is superfluous to our conversation and an obfuscation.

“In spite of being a scientist, I strongly believe an education that fails to place a heavy emphasis on the humanities is a missed opportunity. Without a base in humanities, both the students — and the democratic society these students must enter as informed citizens — are denied a full view of the heritage and critical habits of mind that make civilization worth the effort.

There is, of course, another way to view the question of whether a liberal arts education has value. It can be seen as posing the question as to whether college should be seen as some kind of higher vocational training, instead: a place to go to for a specific certification for a specific job.

Here, too, I would push back strongly.

For those who go to college, the four years spent there are often the sole chance we give ourselves to think deeply and broadly about our place in the world. To turn college into nothing more than job training (emphasizing only those jobs that pay well), represents another missed opportunity for students and the society that needs them.

So, these are my traditional answers to the traditional questions about the value of humanities and arts education vs. science and engineering. From my standpoint as a scholar, I'll stand by them and defend what they represent to the last breath.-Opinion, Adam Frank

• Options
    DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

This is awesome! Really.

I don’t care about the board. It is superfluous to our conversation and an obfuscation.

“In spite of being a scientist, I strongly believe an education that fails to place a heavy emphasis on the humanities is a missed opportunity. Without a base in humanities, both the students — and the democratic society these students must enter as informed citizens — are denied a full view of the heritage and critical habits of mind that make civilization worth the effort.

There is, of course, another way to view the question of whether a liberal arts education has value. It can be seen as posing the question as to whether college should be seen as some kind of higher vocational training, instead: a place to go to for a specific certification for a specific job.

For those who go to college, the four years spent there are often the sole chance we give ourselves to think deeply and broadly about our place in the world. To turn college into nothing more than job training (emphasizing only those jobs that pay well), represents another missed opportunity for students and the society that needs them.

So, these are my traditional answers to the traditional questions about the value of humanities and arts education vs. science and engineering. From my standpoint as a scholar, I'll stand by them and defend what they represent to the last breath.-Opinion, Adam Frank

You don't respond well to agreement.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,954
    Standard Supporter
    DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

DJDuck said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

This is awesome! Really.

I think this was largely true decades ago. Humanities are now just indoctrination into being a leftard. No critical thinking is approved. At Oregon in the 1970s, Sociology and Political Science programs were already thoroughly contaminated by commies. The History program was still pretty traditional Western Civ and you could actually learn about how the US became the best and fairest country in the history of the world. Toss in some traditional economic classes and a minor in Accountancy and you could both do numbers and sh*t and about how fragile our Constitutional Republic was from a historical concept. That is now considered hate speech. Sad.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    my apologies to Elton John

And can you feel the unity tonight?
    It is where we are
    It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
    That we got this far
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    doogie said:

3 choices as I see it.

1. Get involved with the school bored where these decisions are made and effect direct local change

2. Find another (private?) school for your kids

3. Suck it up buttercup, nothing stays the same.

Don't do #1, or you'll send couch potato invalid @dflea into a colossal meltdown.