Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Clemson Tigers: Hardcore Husky's Adopted Team

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited January 2021 in College Football Forum
I remember laughing when I read @CokeGreaterThanPepsi's post on Hardcore Husky: "This is the strangest thing I've ever seen on Hardcore Husky, and there have been lots of strange things here."

The year was 2016 and Coker was responding to my post about adopting the Tennessee Volunteers as my new team to follow. It stemmed from conversations I had with the late @DeLarry, who was a regular on Hardcore Husky for years. We'd both grown tired of seeing the Huskies mismanaged. From the Gilby years, through Willingham and Sark, and into two years of Chris Petersen.

Larry and I decided to pick a team and become fans. We agreed that we didn't want to take the easy route and go with Alabama or LSU. We wanted to identify a team that was on the rise and reap the benefits of watching them develop into champions.

I suggested ASU but Larry didn't want to pick a Pac-12 team which would put him in the position of having to root against Washington. He suggested Texas but I had my reasons for not wanting them. He loved the idea of Michigan but that is a team that I could never root for. After kicking the tires of a few more programs, we settled on the Tennessee Volunteers. Larry and I started a short-lived podcast called Volunteer Half Brains and we decided that once a year we would go on a road trip and see the Vols play football.

Well, as many of you know, the Butch Jones era ended with losing records and the proclamation that his players were "Champions in Life". (Which was the very kind of crap we loathed from the Willingham/Sark years at UW).

The podcast was short-lived, and for the past five years I've "endured" jokes on Hardcore Husky about "Derek's Vols".

We all have hope that Washington coach Jimmy Lake will succeed, but there are warning signs suggesting a downward trend. Anyway, we need at least a full season to see how that goes.

But given the Pac-12 and Washington's approach toward dealing with the Covid situation in 2020, there's no guarantee that UW will even play a full schedule in 2021.

I need some football joy in my life, so I recently I decided to adopt another team. If DeLarry was alive right now, I would be having conversations with him about which team to select. But as many of you know, Larry was struck and killed by a car in April 2020. So he's no longer here.

I'm not sure what team Larry would want these days. But I do know that teams in the south will play a full 12-game schedule in 2021 -- even if there's nuclear winter, they will play! I still didn't want to select an Alabama or LSU. My Vols are in ruins and headed for probation. I really dig South Carolina's colors but I don't see any signs that they're going to do anything special in the near future.

But I like Clemson and their uniforms. I like Dabo Swinney and it seems like he'll be there another 10-15 years. I dig Travis Etienne even though he's on his way to the NFL. Clemson is serious about football.

So, Clemson it is. Most UW fans won't care, but that's fine, as we have all kinds of other forums here to fill their needs.

If by chance DeLarry is aware of this new board, he's no doubt chuckling right now.

Clemson opens the 2021 season vs. Georgia in Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC.

Our buddy Larry Kirby, aka "DeLarry" and "DongJames" (1977-2020)

Larry's obit:

https://legacy.com/obituaries/coastalcourier/obituary.aspx?n=larry-jamad-kirby&pid=196155573

Comments