Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why has University of Washington Defense Been So Good?

Comments

• Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is the 22 yard safety a Jimmy wrinkle that UW has done the last three years or were the Dwags doing this since 2014? Honest question.
    I don't remember this being an object of conversation until the last few years.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,002
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    He should have included some film from our Stanford games where they tear our defense up.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Is the 22 yard safety a Jimmy wrinkle that UW has done the last three years or were the Dwags doing this since 2014? Honest question.

I second that. I don't see anything inherently wrong with having a very deep safety on certain looks.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

I second that. I don't see anything inherently wrong with having a very deep safety on certain looks.

As a wrinkle, or a look it seems fine but UW seemed to run this “look” all the time in our epic four game season. My question is was this deep safety stuff run between ‘14 and ‘16 or was it something Jimmy implemented when he became DC and then asked Kwat to continue last year? Just wondering if any of you game tape guysms know the answer to this. TIA
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Does Mike have any interest in being an OC?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,449
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's been good from an advanced metrics standpoint but teams with less talent consistently beat it now which is the most important stat of all.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

As a wrinkle, or a look it seems fine but UW seemed to run this “look” all the time in our epic four game season. My question is was this deep safety stuff run between ‘14 and ‘16 or was it something Jimmy implemented when he became DC and then asked Kwat to continue last year? Just wondering if any of you game tape guysms know the answer to this. TIA

I wish I had some game tape. If it became more prevalent, I wonder if it was more to do with personnel. The D missed arguably its two best players in Tyron and Levi O. Tuli L. & Latu were also out for a lot of the season (plus Bowman missed a couple of games) so maybe they instructed the Cover 3 safety to play a little deeper most snaps.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,299
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The insanely deep safety has always been a staple of the Kwiatkowski defense. Always.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The insanely deep safety has always been a staple of the Kwiatkowski defense. Always.

Gracias. I just don't remember anyone here calling it out or having any problem with it until 2019 and 2020.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I looked at some first quarter clips of bowl games from 2014-2017.

In the Cactus Bowel vs OSU, Kwat played his deep safety between 10-13 yards back around 75% of the time. 14-16 yards the other 25%

In the Fried Oreo bowel vs Mississippi school for the poors, Kwat ran his deep safety 14-16 yards back around 35% of the time. 17-19 yards 60% and 10-13 yards 5%.

In the Peach Bowl vs Bamers, Kwat ran the safeties almost exclusively, around 85%, 13-16 yards back. I saw maybe a handful of possessions where he pushed them to 17-19 yards. I think this was due to a true freshman Hurts not being a great passer.

In the Tortilla bowl vs PSU Jimmy ran the deep safety almost exclusively, around 80%, 14-16 yards back. Once again maybe a handful of 17-19 yard starting points.

In the Shitty Rose Bowl Jimmy ran the safeties about half and half. 55% 17-19 yards and 45% 14-16 yards.

In the Vegas Bowel Jimmy ran 90% 17-19 yards. In fact Bryant basically planted his feet 19 yards exactly from the LOS.

In the Utah game from this year the times the camera would show the deep safety he was usually starting 17-19 yards back. Mostly though they didn't pan far enough out to see the deep man.

It appears (small sample size, I know) that the defense has gradually shifted to pushing the safeties back 17-19 yards over the years with it maxing out in the 2018 season and continuing to current days. I've only seen the safeties back 20 plus yards on film from this year though. Thats crazy deep to me. Probably an indictment of the kids we are trotting out right now? Who knows. I'd like Jimmy and the poor guy he hires that everyone will hate to be a bit more multiple in what they do in terms of down and distance. Why have your safety 19 yards deep on a third and three? Why run the umbrella at all vs Stanford, Cal, Utah or current day Colorado? The stubbornness to run the same stuff and lose to the same teams every year is a head scratcher.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I wonder if they will line-up shallower again with a better and more veteran front DL and LB corp in 2021 than 2020. Plus they have more pass-rushing options beyond ZTF (Bowman back, Latu back, Smalls as a true sopH).