Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture of 1996?

2»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Jerry Maguire

I love Fargo. It’s such a subtle and well crafted film, with this delightful dark humor.

While I did not grow up in the Midwest, I spent enough time there visiting my extended family I appreciate how the film masterfully captures that region’s vibe.

My aunts really do talk like Frances McDormand‘s character.

When I was in school we had a couple of big old gals from Canader on the women's squad. They used to think I looked like a young version of William H Macey and would call me Lundegaard. As retaliation I dated their much better looking Cuban American (shout out @creepycoug ) room mate.

Typical.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Happy Gilmore
    You’re gonna die clown!!!
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Trainspotting
    Tequilla said:

You’re gonna die clown!!!

If only all of the dialog was as good as that.

And more scenes of Julie Bowen in lingerie.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,316
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    F.O Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
    Bottle Rocket.
  • Options
    IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Independence Day
    Voted Independence Day but none of those movies really did anything memorable for myself.

Set It Off should have been given consideration by the Academy https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117603/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,970
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fargo

Bottle Rocket.

IFL Bottle Rocket. Jimmy Caan’s second best role ever.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2021
    F.O Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
    Many of these movies are ok, but very forgettable. I say we just skip this year and move on.

Happy Gilmore is my favorite of the bunch, but close to classics like Tommy Boy and Dumb and Dumber.

Swingers outside of a couple hilarious moments is kind of a dud. (Super fan 99) (Mikey wins) (leaving the chick about a hundred messages) (the golfing scene, and talking about dressing up as Goofy)
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swingers
    chuck said:

It should probably be Fargo. I cant turn off Fargo or Trainspotting, but Fargo is really the kind of masterwork that should win awards like the best picture Oscar. I impulsively clicked on Trainspotting though.

Jerry Maguire and Swingers are also good, however Tom Cruise is in one and Swingers would be shite without Vince Vaughn.

Edit...further support for my vote. I submit the greatest cinematic character in the history of movies...

Another edit...Holy shit i jist keep laughing at Bagby when u think of this scene. "The wee lassy got glassed. No cunt leaves till we find out which cunt did it!"

Swingers is great. Vince Vaughn is in it because his friend that has gone on to be a Hollywood titan wrote the role for him.

Favreau also picked Robert Downey Jr to play Iron Man at a time it was tough to cast Downey Jr. I don’t like the Superhero movies, but Downey was great as Tony Stark and has the same ego and quick wit needed for the character.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Trainspotting

chuck said:

It should probably be Fargo. I cant turn off Fargo or Trainspotting, but Fargo is really the kind of masterwork that should win awards like the best picture Oscar. I impulsively clicked on Trainspotting though.

Jerry Maguire and Swingers are also good, however Tom Cruise is in one and Swingers would be shite without Vince Vaughn.

Edit...further support for my vote. I submit the greatest cinematic character in the history of movies...

Another edit...Holy shit i jist keep laughing at Bagby when u think of this scene. "The wee lassy got glassed. No cunt leaves till we find out which cunt did it!"

Swingers is great. Vince Vaughn is in it because his friend that has gone on to be a Hollywood titan wrote the role for him.

Favreau also picked Robert Downey Jr to play Iron Man at a time it was tough to cast Downey Jr. I don’t like the Superhero movies, but Downey was great as Tony Stark and has the same ego and quick wit needed for the character.
    I agree on Downey. He really was good in Iron Man. Honestly I never really liked him much even though he was a perfect fit for most of his roles. I just didn't like the roles.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fargo
    Happy Gilmore? Christ