Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

California’s Heavy Tax Increase On The Wealthy; Financial Impact On Residents

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    What'll start to happen is this: the wealthy will claim residence somewhere else, which is easy to do, and live there because they like California as a physical location (most people do). Then they'll pay zero wealth tax other than property and the burden will be felt even more heavily by those who can't afford to play the tax game.

I know a guy who runs a PE firm that specializes in health care investments. He's loaded. Wants to be in the Bay Area because his son is at Stanford, he has other family there and he likes it there. He's been in Austin for 25 years. I asked him what he'd sell his house for, he said, "I'm not selling my house. Cali would crush me with taxes. As far as they are concerned, I'm still a Texas resident and always will be."
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

What'll start to happen is this: the wealthy will claim residence somewhere else, which is easy to do, and live there because they like California as a physical location (most people do). Then they'll pay zero wealth tax other than property and the burden will be felt even more heavily by those who can't afford to play the tax game.

I know a guy who runs a PE firm that specializes in health care investments. He's loaded. Wants to be in the Bay Area because his son is at Stanford, he has other family there and he likes it there. He's been in Austin for 25 years. I asked him what he'd sell his house for, he said, "I'm not selling my house. Cali would crush me with taxes. As far as they are concerned, I'm still a Texas resident and always will be."
    Between taxes and the cost of living, the techie crowd moving up here effectively get a 50% raise. It's no joke.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

I'm just the opposite - live elsewhere in an undisclosed bunker. One of my companies is affiliated with a subsidiary in California. Not a fucking chance I will ever personally have a connection to the State of California for tax purposes. No apportionment of revenue or expenses, nothing. Once you're on their roles, you're fucked forever.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,716
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cali will follow you around and track you down for their taste
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

The Throbber has enough LLCs to make Hunter Biden blush.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Is this thinly veiled mom smack?
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,954
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You volunteered.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,716
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said: