Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Doog in the High Castle (UW Football Alternate History) - Jimmy Lake OC Hire

2»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,211
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think that politics were much of a consideration in 1993 when we dropped football. We had been a little slice of the SEC in Seattle and everyone was pretty happy about it until

The saying goes that all politics are local. That means the campus at UW. Walsh embarrassed them but they were thinking that anyway. Suzzallo thought the players were mercenaries.

UW has managed over thirty years to monetize mediocrity so why fix it if it isn't broken. There are less people willing to pay for it and that is when it will change

Football pays for it all. As I have said before and will say again a University has every right to be an academic power and to tell sports to fuck off.

Its the half stepping that annoys me

And demographics are changing in the south but football is immersed in the fabric for now. Huntsville has been building rockets in Alabama for decades. Rocket surgeons love football too

You can love football from any political persuasion in my opinion

Completely co-sign on this.

I do think it’s possible to have your cake and eat it though. Lots of schools have done the ABUNDANCE thing with being academis and football powerhouses, but that balance is TUFF to maintain.

I thought UW was starting to strike that equilibrium with Petersen, but I suspect as our? star starts to fall with football the powers that be will just push all their chips in playing school.
    You can easily do both. Stanford was almost there with Harbaugh

The admin has to want it or at least not stop it
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,211
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think that politics were much of a consideration in 1993 when we dropped football. We had been a little slice of the SEC in Seattle and everyone was pretty happy about it until

The saying goes that all politics are local. That means the campus at UW. Walsh embarrassed them but they were thinking that anyway. Suzzallo thought the players were mercenaries.

UW has managed over thirty years to monetize mediocrity so why fix it if it isn't broken. There are less people willing to pay for it and that is when it will change

Football pays for it all. As I have said before and will say again a University has every right to be an academic power and to tell sports to fuck off.

Its the half stepping that annoys me

And demographics are changing in the south but football is immersed in the fabric for now. Huntsville has been building rockets in Alabama for decades. Rocket surgeons love football too

You can love football from any political persuasion in my opinion

I’m far from an expert on this but I thought at the tim, upper campus was already mad at James for speaking at a Reagan or Bush event that was part of the motivation for not sticking up for the football program.

I agree with you 100% that as long as mediocre football pays the bills, UW won’t do a thing to put pressure on Lake or a future UW coach.
    I think that's a bit of an urban legend

The Seattle Times wasn't happy