Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

7th Annual Jesse Callier Commemorative Post-Collegiate Career Impact Ranking Initiative

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

That was, for the most part, the worst JCCPCCIRI I have done yet. I felt like I needed to turn the test over and see if I missed some questions. You should of added Osborn and Spiker so I could have added another one star and another two star. The elite evaluation skills the staff earned through the first few classes has taken a direct hit with the last two surveys IMHO. Outside of Molden and Taylor this survey featured a lot of JAGS and non starters. Yuck.

And Onwuzurike and to a lesser extent Tryon.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

That was, for the most part, the worst JCCPCCIRI I have done yet. I felt like I needed to turn the test over and see if I missed some questions. You should of added Osborn and Spiker so I could have added another one star and another two star. The elite evaluation skills the staff earned through the first few classes has taken a direct hit with the last two surveys IMHO. Outside of Molden and Taylor this survey featured a lot of JAGS and non starters. Yuck.

And Onwuzurike and to a lesser extent Tryon.
    Absolutely.
  • I'd be interested in a similar poll, but measuring the individual's impact on Hardcore Husky rather than on the football team. Chin and Soderburg would be rated much higher.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021

This is a myth.

CP's first class was amazing. After that his classes were all more pedestrian.

I've been saying it for years but I will say it again- everybody discounts how lucky that 2014 class was especially considering CP put it together in just two months from scratch.

CP never had a class like that at Boise and was unlikely to have another class like that again at UW if he had stayed for another 20 years (unless we actually became Clemson of the West.)

Its just too bad he never found a QB to pair with Gaskin, those TEs, and that defense.
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    It was definitely an odd year. You either left because you sucked, or because you are likely to get drafted relatively high. The guys in the middle you'd typically have like Watty, McGrew, and Bowman for the most part decided to return.

I think next year we're going to see the return to a more normal distribution of scores.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,702
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Anyone that bitched out received a 1 from me. Don’t care what you did prior to this yr. Coach with no ballz has players with no ballz. Go figure.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Anyone that bitched out received a 1 from me. Don’t care what you did prior to this yr. Coach with no ballz has players with no ballz. Go figure.

I get the vibe that you like to get your ass kicked when you're drunk. Accurate?
  • I'm still mystified by Garbers leaving. I guess it's just the new free agency culture at work.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,702
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

I get the vibe that you like to get your ass kicked when you're drunk. Accurate?
    It’s like you knew me in a past life.

I use to get super shitty at HS parties and hit on the girls with the bf’s twice my size or get convinced to bare knuckle box. Once picked a fight with the starting RB which resulted in my tooth going through my lip. I have 4 smaller face scars and a few on my head. So yes, I use to get pummeled because my mouth wrote checks my fists couldn’t cash.

Then one time I picked up a pool stick prior to my usual ass beating. Didn’t have to use it but from there I “was crazy” and didn’t get fucked with anymore.

Not so much any more.

CSB, I know.
    edited January 2021

This is a myth.

I've been saying it for years but I will say it again- everybody discounts how lucky that 2014 class was especially considering CP put it together in just two months from scratch.

CP never had a class like that at Boise and was unlikely to have another class like that again at UW if he had stayed for another 20 years (unless we actually became Clemson of the West.)

Its just too bad he never found a QB to pair with Gaskin, those TEs, and that defense.
    To follow up with some stats:

NFL Draft picks by recruiting class:

2014: 8/25 (32%) (6 first/second rounders)
    2015: 3/25 (12%) (0)
    2016: 3/17 (18%) (2) with Wattenberg, Levi, Kamari, and Kizer still pending.
    2017: 0 drafted so far with 10 still with the program or declared for 2021 draft. 5-6 likely draft picks.
    2018: 13/20 remain with program. 5-6 a fair estimate again.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is a myth.

2014 was an amazing class and you are probably right. That said, it's very frustrating when you realize that some of the elite guys in that class would not get a sniff in later years. And we had to read all about us leveling up and about the blue chip ratio when the reality is most of our blue chips were low end ones.

We have had some good teams (2016-2018) but have lacked an elite player or two. You sub Browning with a stud QB and we are contending for natties. Another 1st or 2nd round OL would have been huge. If Pete's offensive scheme wasn't retarded, that would have helped too. Since I've been following UW recruiting (early 2000's), we have typically recruited the same. There have been some dud classes, but Gilby, Ty, Sark, and Pete all had low end top 25 classes at some point.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,709
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We had a chance with Petersen to see his guys play. The Baird Imperative

8 and 5

This is a myth.

2014 was an amazing class and you are probably right. That said, it's very frustrating when you realize that some of the elite guys in that class would not get a sniff in later years. And we had to read all about us leveling up and about the blue chip ratio when the reality is most of our blue chips were low end ones.

We have had some good teams (2016-2018) but have lacked an elite player or two. You sub Browning with a stud QB and we are contending for natties. Another 1st or 2nd round OL would have been huge. If Pete's offensive scheme wasn't retarded, that would have helped too. Since I've been following UW recruiting (early 2000's), we have typically recruited the same. There have been some dud classes, but Gilby, Ty, Sark, and Pete all had low end top 25 classes at some point.
    All of the 2014 guys would have been takes in 2015 and 2016. We weren't beating Oregon or Stanford or USC or Notre Dame or even UCLA for any out of state recruits in those cycles.

The "leveling up" didn't start until 2017 and then really 2018 and 2019 we were up against all national programs or USC/Stanford/Oregon/UCLA for every recruit.

So yeah- we might not have taken Gaines, Dissly, Pettis or Sample those last few years...but we'd already seen that we needed to "level up" to get back to the playoffs. We couldn't count on all those guys falling in our laps again like they did in 2014.
  • seatownfunkseatownfunk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 802
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Woof said:

Poll is out via your HCH inbox. I'll keep it open for a couple days, so if you still want to participate, let me know.

Why do you hate me?
  • I'm sure probably none of you care, but I'm going to post my "real" scores I would have put if I could have been more precise (with decimals and comments):

Bronson: 2.3 - He contributed, he started-ish for about a year, but was pretty "meh" at best. Should have been a depth filler, but Levi's leaving and Tuli's injury (or COVID) forced Bronson into more playing time than he merited.

Chin: 1.9 - he scored a couple touchdowns, but just didn't possess the "it" factor that would give any quarterback that worked with him confidence to pass to him on a regular basis. That said, we all know his impact here on HH has been higher than most.

Garbers: 0.2 - Supposedly he competed in the fall camp. That's about all we got. Maybe he'll tear it up at UCLA. Maybe he'll convert to WR there. Who knows. Who cares. -.8 from the 1 because he negatively affected our QB depth.

Ty Jones: 2.7 - He was better than Lenius/Dickey. He should have been much better but for injuries and drops. Odd that he's moving on, but I don't think we'll miss him much.

McKinney: 2.1 - His Rose Bowl performance was painful to watch. He never really stood out otherwise. Telling that Asa Turner and others passed him on the depth chart. He did play, he did fill depth, he wasn't Manu-levels of bad most of the time, but was just "meh".

Molden: 4.5 - Among the best DBs we've had, even when he was a freshman. Has a knack for being at the right place at the right time, but doesn't "wow" you with his speed. Not as big a hitter as Byron Murphy, not as visibly "maximum effort" as Myles Bryant, but phenomenal technique, instinct, and "football smarts". He will definitely be missed (unless Kyler Gordon ends up better).

Norgaard: 1.3 - Heard about him from time to time, considering Harris getting dinged up from time to time at center. Clearly not sufficient skill/talent, as he was easily surpassed by Watty and Mele. That said, he was "valuable depth", so not a flat 1.

Onwuzurike: 3.3 - I really wanted him to be a 4, and he probably would have, if he'd played this last season. That said, despite his great play in 2019, he just didn't have enough playing time or enough games to merit a 4 from me. Like Molden, he'll definitely be missed, but less so than if he'd played in 2020.

Pa'ama: 1 - No playing time, and left the team with little notice. Hope his life turns out ok, but his impact on the team was a net zero.

Jacob Sirmon: 1.8 - His aborted transfer-portaling summer of 2019 left a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted to see him do something good, but even in garbage time, he just felt awkward, unprepared, and unimpressive. Maybe he'll have better luck elsewhere. I don't count his leaving to be as negative as Garbers, because what I saw just didn't give me confidence that he was a particularly valuable backup.

Soderburg: .8 - He has been among the most consistently reviled Huskies on HH, and I don't think I've ever really dug down to the true story of why. That said, he had a scholarship and didn't ever really contribute, thus taking away from the possibility of us having another, potentially helpful player on the roster. So, -.2 points

Taylor: 3.2 - Solid contributor, physical specimen, decent techniques, but never really shone. Maybe he'll be able to improve at the next level. I don't think we'll miss him very much; we have a lot of great DBs still waiting in the wings (so long as the new DB coach doesn't screw it up...)

Thompson: 1 - Heard all fall how he was competing and neck-and-neck with the other QBs. He never made it onto the field. No idea what kind of depth he would have provided. At the same time, I'm not disappointed he's moving on.

Tryon: 2.8 - He flashed in 2019, but was inconsistent. I would have loved to have seen him in 2020, but don't blame him for opting out. That said, his lack of playing impacted the score I gave him. I like the guy, I really liked his development curve at the UW, but I just didn't see enough. He'll be missed, but not as much as Levi and Molden. With ZTF, Latu, Smalls, and others, we've got surprising depth at the position. I hope Tryon makes it at the next level.

Yary: .8 - Had Otton left, Yary's score would have been worse. Thanks to Otton's return, we won't miss Yary in 2021. That said, anytime a player causes drama, it's a net negative for the program. Hence the -.2

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I'm sure probably none of you care, but I'm going to post my "real" scores I would have put if I could have been more precise (with decimals and comments):

Bronson: 2.3 - He contributed, he started-ish for about a year, but was pretty "meh" at best. Should have been a depth filler, but Levi's leaving and Tuli's injury (or COVID) forced Bronson into more playing time than he merited.

Chin: 1.9 - he scored a couple touchdowns, but just didn't possess the "it" factor that would give any quarterback that worked with him confidence to pass to him on a regular basis. That said, we all know his impact here on HH has been higher than most.

Garbers: 0.2 - Supposedly he competed in the fall camp. That's about all we got. Maybe he'll tear it up at UCLA. Maybe he'll convert to WR there. Who knows. Who cares. -.8 from the 1 because he negatively affected our QB depth.

Ty Jones: 2.7 - He was better than Lenius/Dickey. He should have been much better but for injuries and drops. Odd that he's moving on, but I don't think we'll miss him much.

McKinney: 2.1 - His Rose Bowl performance was painful to watch. He never really stood out otherwise. Telling that Asa Turner and others passed him on the depth chart. He did play, he did fill depth, he wasn't Manu-levels of bad most of the time, but was just "meh".

Molden: 4.5 - Among the best DBs we've had, even when he was a freshman. Has a knack for being at the right place at the right time, but doesn't "wow" you with his speed. Not as big a hitter as Byron Murphy, not as visibly "maximum effort" as Myles Bryant, but phenomenal technique, instinct, and "football smarts". He will definitely be missed (unless Kyler Gordon ends up better).

Norgaard: 1.3 - Heard about him from time to time, considering Harris getting dinged up from time to time at center. Clearly not sufficient skill/talent, as he was easily surpassed by Watty and Mele. That said, he was "valuable depth", so not a flat 1.

Onwuzurike: 3.3 - I really wanted him to be a 4, and he probably would have, if he'd played this last season. That said, despite his great play in 2019, he just didn't have enough playing time or enough games to merit a 4 from me. Like Molden, he'll definitely be missed, but less so than if he'd played in 2020.

Pa'ama: 1 - No playing time, and left the team with little notice. Hope his life turns out ok, but his impact on the team was a net zero.

Jacob Sirmon: 1.8 - His aborted transfer-portaling summer of 2019 left a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted to see him do something good, but even in garbage time, he just felt awkward, unprepared, and unimpressive. Maybe he'll have better luck elsewhere. I don't count his leaving to be as negative as Garbers, because what I saw just didn't give me confidence that he was a particularly valuable backup.

Soderburg: .8 - He has been among the most consistently reviled Huskies on HH, and I don't think I've ever really dug down to the true story of why. That said, he had a scholarship and didn't ever really contribute, thus taking away from the possibility of us having another, potentially helpful player on the roster. So, -.2 points

Taylor: 3.2 - Solid contributor, physical specimen, decent techniques, but never really shone. Maybe he'll be able to improve at the next level. I don't think we'll miss him very much; we have a lot of great DBs still waiting in the wings (so long as the new DB coach doesn't screw it up...)

Thompson: 1 - Heard all fall how he was competing and neck-and-neck with the other QBs. He never made it onto the field. No idea what kind of depth he would have provided. At the same time, I'm not disappointed he's moving on.

Tryon: 2.8 - He flashed in 2019, but was inconsistent. I would have loved to have seen him in 2020, but don't blame him for opting out. That said, his lack of playing impacted the score I gave him. I like the guy, I really liked his development curve at the UW, but I just didn't see enough. He'll be missed, but not as much as Levi and Molden. With ZTF, Latu, Smalls, and others, we've got surprising depth at the position. I hope Tryon makes it at the next level.

Yary: .8 - Had Otton left, Yary's score would have been worse. Thanks to Otton's return, we won't miss Yary in 2021. That said, anytime a player causes drama, it's a net negative for the program. Hence the -.2

Chinvalid rating. Chin is HH 5 star. Dude left a massive impact on HH
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2021
    Here is how I do it

1- Zero impact
    2-Played some
    3-Starter....getting good at this point and am noticing you
    4- You going to the league. Making plays every game and earning postseason honors
    5- Balls out Playa/Wardaddy Not many get a 5. Nobody this year. Levi would have prolly but he quit