Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

wait, people dont want to see the same teams over and over and over again?

side note, sage move by espn to spend so much on the SEC (and nba for that matter).

side note to the side note:

Will college football’s power brokers implement changes to the Playoff after this season of poor viewership, or will they simply chalk it up to the pandemic and other political factors and hope for a better season next fall? I’d assume it’ll be the latter, especially since there’s a built-in excuse for poor semifinal viewership in the next two seasons: the semifinals will take place on New Year’s Eve in both 2021 (a Friday) and 2022 (a Saturday).

so, 2022 will not be special?

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Always use the built in excuse in order to not have to do anything that requires effort.
    These people belong in the government
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just do Power 5 conference winners with a +1 for whatever the best conference's runner up was or something. 1 participant based on subjectivity is fine.

People will watch their conference get smoked. They won't watch if their conference isn't even in it.

And fuck the non power 5's. Fuck all of them. To hell. Stop scheduling them and giving them money. Bleed them out.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,393
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    16 team playoff and eliminate non-conference patsies.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You'll never have a greater available viewing audience as last night given that COVID effectively has left everybody at home with not much to do other than watch TV

To have numbers drop so much tells you that there's a fundamental problem with the sport
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

You'll never have a greater available viewing audience as last night given that COVID effectively has left everybody at home with not much to do other than watch TV

To have numbers drop so much tells you that there's a fundamental problem with the sport

thought this as well but viewership is down across all sports.

tbh, i think not having fans (or at least a sellout crowd) hurt tv viewership.

fucky year though.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

Getting off Monday night would be good too

It should be on a Saturday night. But they want to copy the NCAA basketball model
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People love dynasties. The NBA crashed when MJ retired.

Saturday in January belongs to the NFL. Friday night is the night as when the Bucks beat the Canes in 01

The playoffs suck not because the same teams are there but because winning the league and the Rose Bowl doesn't matter anymore. The entire focus of the sport is on the playoff starting in July

We? could play a tuff non con schedule in the Pac 10 and go 1-2 and still look to the league and the Rose Bowl as real goals.

College football is a regional sport with national teams. We got rid of the regional and now have a couple national teams. Having Bama beat Cinnci by 60 in an extra round won't help ratings

Win the league get a great bowl. As in 91 have the Canes and Huskies play a plus 1

There is no REAL national champion Nor does there need to be
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ATBS Roll Tide

Shut the fuck up and beat them on the field. Same as it ever was

If UW had built on 2016 instead of Pete retiring in 17 who knows.....
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

People love dynasties. The NBA crashed when MJ retired.

Saturday in January belongs to the NFL. Friday night is the night as when the Bucks beat the Canes in 01

The playoffs suck not because the same teams are there but because winning the league and the Rose Bowl doesn't matter anymore. The entire focus of the sport is on the playoff starting in July

We? could play a tuff non con schedule in the Pac 10 and go 1-2 and still look to the league and the Rose Bowl as real goals.

College football is a regional sport with national teams. We got rid of the regional and now have a couple national teams. Having Bama beat Cinnci by 60 in an extra round won't help ratings

Win the league get a great bowl. As in 91 have the Canes and Huskies play a plus 1

There is no REAL national champion Nor does there need to be

Dynasties in pro sports rely on the popularity of superstar athletes, like Jordan. In college, especially with people leaving early for the pros, there is no time to build those kind of individual "brands."

This is why college basketball sucks compared to the day when guys like Patrick Ewing or other stars played for 3 or 4 years.

The thing about the playoff is that it leads to media sucking off the same 4 teams. Once it is expanded the media have to suck off a few more teams and leagues, and that leads to more media attention and legitimacy.

College football can't rely on just promoting 4 teams, that's the only reason I can think to expand.

Swaye's Wigwam

Expanding will only extend the time that Bama is sucked off by the networks

Give more fans more to live for. Bring back the conference tie in to major bowls and get rid of the playoff

Bama would have played ND in the Sugar Bowl

Ohio State would have played UW in the North Division Rose Bowl

Clemson and Oklahoma would have played in the Orange Bowl

You sill have the Cotton and Fiesta

Then plus 1
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I didn't watch it because it was on ESPN. I'm not the only one boycotting that network.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,393
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Opening up the playoff to more teams allows those other teams to recruit and sell kids that they can be in the playoff without going to 1 of 3-4 programs. I think it makes a huge difference for guys like Emeka and JTT if UW actually cared.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Expanding will only extend the time that Bama is sucked off by the networks

Give more fans more to live for. Bring back the conference tie in to major bowls and get rid of the playoff

Bama would have played ND in the Sugar Bowl

Ohio State would have played UW in the North Division Rose Bowl

Clemson and Oklahoma would have played in the Orange Bowl

You sill have the Cotton and Fiesta

Then plus 1
    WE WANT RICE!
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,698
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

Just do Power 5 conference winners with a +1 for whatever the best conference's runner up was or something. 1 participant based on subjectivity is fine.

People will watch their conference get smoked. They won't watch if their conference isn't even in it.

And fuck the non power 5's. Fuck all of them. To hell. Stop scheduling them and giving them money. Bleed them out.

I agree with this. All of it.

Also agree with beat Bama on the field. Every starter in the Bama d backfield is from So Fla. Win a fucking recruiting battle Diaz. These kids are down the street from you. They had Surtain forever but kept losing. They had Sony Michelle locked up very early. Same thing. Eventually they say fuck it I want to win.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2021

TommySQC said:

I was promised the cfp would make me cum in my pants it would be so exciting.

Another great thing ruined by people trying to "improve it".

Sven would not shut up about a playoff

Thats when I knew it would suck
    He moved onto stroke and turn judge.