Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Bright Side of COVID-19

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
is that it is providing me with an almost daily opportunity to demonstrate to my kids that the free market beats the government any day of the week.

Cases in point:

1. Ordered a framed picture of school stuff for one of my kids back in like, September. It took what it took to put it together, but it has been sitting at the Post Office in Pawtuckett, RI for over two months. Apparently they've got the crud and just can't work. No warning. Just not working. Still getting paid, I'm sure. Still waiting.

2. Paid the special freight for expedited passport renewal for one of my kids. Over $200 bucks. Did this in early November. Expedited is 4 to 6 weeks. Guess what? PP office got it on January 6th. Again, the post office.

My kids were like, "Don't lose it. It's COVID, Dad. They can't help it." I asked them, "So how long does it take when you order more of your Lulu Lemon stuff to get here?

Crickets.

Fed Ex, UPS, etc. find a way. The PO? Literally lets packages sit. It's their entire fucking business and this is what they do. I hate to say it, but Trumpf was right about that one.

So when the DMV can't do their work, they schedule appointments out until forever from now and just have the state change the rules. If your license expired after March 1, 2020, it's automatically been extended for 90 days. Can't work? Change the rules.

Private sector can't do that; so they find a way to make it fucking work.

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    The IRS cashed my check for 2019 and never applied it. I've got to sit on the phone with them for like 4 hours now lol
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A former employer sent a 2 Day envelope with some time sensitive documents. It arrived almost a month later. Luckily they also sent an email and I had already handled it online. Fuck the USPS.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    USMChawk said:

A former employer sent a 2 Day envelope with some time sensitive documents. It arrived almost a month later. Luckily they also sent an email and I had already handled it online. Fuck the USPS.

Yep. I’ve reached my limit with them.

USMChawk said:

Yep. I’ve reached my limit with them.
    I'm hearing biden will clean things up.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,395
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021

is that it is providing me with an almost daily opportunity to demonstrate to my kids that the free market beats the government any day of the week.

Cases in point:

1. Ordered a framed picture of school stuff for one of my kids back in like, September. It took what it took to put it together, but it has been sitting at the Post Office in Pawtuckett, RI for over two months. Apparently they've got the crud and just can't work. No warning. Just not working. Still getting paid, I'm sure. Still waiting.

2. Paid the special freight for expedited passport renewal for one of my kids. Over $200 bucks. Did this in early November. Expedited is 4 to 6 weeks. Guess what? PP office got it on January 6th. Again, the post office.

My kids were like, "Don't lose it. It's COVID, Dad. They can't help it." I asked them, "So how long does it take when you order more of your Lulu Lemon stuff to get here?

Crickets.

Fed Ex, UPS, etc. find a way. The PO? Literally lets packages sit. It's their entire fucking business and this is what they do. I hate to say it, but Trumpf was right about that one.

So when the DMV can't do their work, they schedule appointments out until forever from now and just have the state change the rules. If your license expired after March 1, 2020, it's automatically been extended for 90 days. Can't work? Change the rules.

I didn't even realize my license was expired this past summer until a Costco checker mentioned it when I was buying a nice cab that drank like a merlot (or whatever the schtick is). Nearly one month expired and the DMV had not sent me a renewal letter, etc. So I jump online to do it myself because in-person offices are closed and the DMV says that, because my last in-person renewal with new photo was 10 years ago, I cannot renew online and must go in-person. Another 3 weeks pass and I get a renewal notice in the mail so I go online to see if it'll work this time, or if I have to go in-person to get the new photo. Online renewal actually works this time and I now will have a license at age 45 with a picture of me from when I was 29.

CSB
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Cases in point:

Crickets.

I didn't even realize my license was expired this past summer until a Costco checker mentioned it when I was buying a nice cab that drank like a merlot (or whatever the schtick is). Nearly one month expired and the DMV had not sent me a renewal letter, etc. So I jump online to do it myself because in-person offices are closed and the DMV says that, because my last in-person renewal with new photo was 10 years ago, I cannot renew online and must go in-person. Another 3 weeks pass and I get a renewal notice in the mail so I go online to see if it'll work this time, or if I have to go in-person to get the new photo. Online renewal actually works this time and I now will have a license at age 45 with a picture of me from when I was 29.

CSB
    The Throbber never did receive the new sticker for his boat last year. Carried the receipt around all summer in case water smokey pulled me over.

• HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,954
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    For all the trashing of the USPS, I never experienced much problem relying on it before the Trump Administration. Was that Covid, by design, or both?

On the receiving something I expected at home side, I would be hard-pressed to say whether the USPS or mail theft was to blame. Mail theft has run rampant in my neighborhood.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,516
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    UPS is renting Penske trucks to meet delivery. Just saw it today and talked to the UPS guy. Simply to meet the sheer volume. There is action right there!
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    HHusky said:

For all the trashing of the USPS, I never experienced much problem relying on it before the Trump Administration. Was that Covid, by design, or both?

On the receiving something I expected at home side, I would be hard-pressed to say whether the USPS or mail theft was to blame. Mail theft has run rampant in my neighborhood.

That's fair. Though w/o some evidence I'm not going to assume he did something to cause them to be unable to respond to the Vid.

The DMV and pretty much every other public sector service has just been on a full-pay fucking vacation for going on a year now.
    jecornel said:

UPS is renting Penske trucks to meet delivery. Just saw it today and talked to the UPS guy. Simply to meet the sheer volume. There is action right there!

Eh when I worked at DHL we rented them all the time when there were spikes. Quite common really.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    A present I sent for Christmas went from the Jersey City Post Office to the Brooklyn Post Office and back four tims before showing up yesterday.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    UPS will rent Penske and U-Hauls for peak season (holidays), which has been getting longer and longer the past few years.

You might appreciate getting your packages in the mail faster, but the drivers at many distribution centers got the crud just like USPS. They have/had entire teams fly in to centers that had half of their drivers out to fill in. Those are often driver supervisors and management staff instead of drivers. My favorite story is my buddy who had to shit into a bag in the back of the truck. Then right back to work! UPS is a crappy (lol) place to work.

I can’t speak to FedEx or DHL, although I imagine there is a ton of overlap, but Amazon is coming for them. UPS has actually started to refuse delivery of some Amazon stuff. Similar idea to US companies selling out to China for profit now and in 10 years China will be making the exact same product with zero reasons to buy American ever again.