Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The $200 Million Dollar Password - For Real, I guess

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Lost passwords? Really? If he doens't remember it, then, boom! $200 million lost? Sounds legit. Is this one of our guys?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/technology/bitcoin-passwords-wallets-fortunes.html?smtyp=cur&smid

@Purple_Pills ? Say it ain't so.

Comments

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    2 guesses left.

For 220 million.

No pressure.

lol
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    dflea said:

2 guesses left.

For 220 million.

No pressure.

lol

Right. That wouldn't be believable in a fucking movie.

What kind of market is this that you can lose $200 mill. on a fucking password. It's like we're playing grab ass with monopoly money.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just sat down to cut and paste the article and I see cc has allready done it.

And you think you've had a bad day...... ugh
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    godawgst said:

Just sat down to cut and paste the article and I see cc has allready done it.

And you think you've had a bad day...... ugh

Indeed. I would be up 24/7 scouring my house and my car and office for some fucking clue to jog my memory.

It would be the most careful typing of my life when I took my next shot.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,687
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2ish years ago there was the guy who died whilst being the only person who knew the master password for the ewallet.

Something like $130M. * POOF *
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,687
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

2ish years ago there was the guy who died whilst being the only person who knew the master password for the ewallet.

Something like $130M. * POOF *

Whooops. Embargoed. And still dead.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/crypto-ceo-died-with-passwords-to-137-million-but-the-money-is-gone-2019-3-1028009684

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fuck this guy - he's an idiot.

If you KNEW that losing your password essentially means losing your life, you sure as fuck would have that password etched in your bathroom mirror, written down on a piece of paper and locked in a safety deposit box, put in a sealed envelope with your attorney in trust. Whatever. Christ, it's standard practice for even the dumbest of us motherfuckers to have backups made of our data, whether that's dropbox or a floppy disk. This is nothing different than that.

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

If you KNEW that losing your password essentially means losing your life, you sure as fuck would have that password etched in your bathroom mirror, written down on a piece of paper and locked in a safety deposit box, put in a sealed envelope with your attorney in trust. Whatever. Christ, it's standard practice for even the dumbest of us motherfuckers to have backups made of our data, whether that's dropbox or a floppy disk. This is nothing different than that.

Tattoo seems the most obvious

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

BRILLIANT!

Until Hans Gruber kidnaps you and cuts off your arm.

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

BRILLIANT!

Until Hans Gruber kidnaps you and cuts off your arm.

Hans gruber did nothing wrong