Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Has Hopkins been fired yet?

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Jen is half-right with that.

Sorry - Conroy has had more than enough tim and Dollar is just recycling Romar assistants.

And Hop whiffed on Rose. The Boner would have been the correct hire there but he's sipping margaritas at Pepperdine.

• no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 757
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    This is a special kind of FS if true. Firing assistants? After the season is over?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    no_uh said:

This is a special kind of FS if true. Firing assistants? After the season is over?

They're cheaper and probably on short term contracts. Plus they can't recruit and evaluate talent worth shit.

• no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 757

no_uh said:

They're cheaper and probably on short term contracts. Plus they can't recruit and evaluate talent worth shit.

Nobody on this coaching staff can recruit or evaluate talent. I guess Willingham should have just been allowed to fire his assistants after 0-12. If the athletic department is too tight on money for the buyout, they should go get a loan. Hell, pledge Hec Ed as security too. It's not that hard. All of this smells like mismanagement from the top and pathetic attempts to safe face by you know who.
  • IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment

Sorry - Conroy has had more than enough tim and Dollar is just recycling Romar assistants.

And Hop whiffed on Rose. The Boner would have been the correct hire there but he's sipping margaritas at Pepperdine.

If Romar would have been allowed to coach out the season he was fired then had his coaching job evaluated after that season as promised by Jen then Ken Bone would have been on Romar's staff coaching the offense. As would have coach Dollar who Romar was brining back on his staff most likely replacing Will Conroy.

Jen is just redirecting and deflecting because the assistants (Conroy, Dollar, Rice) aren't the issue, it's the inexperienced head coach that she hired to run the program after being so impressed by his pre interview push ups, he's is the root of the problem.

Get rid of Mike Hopkins and she'll get rid of the problem but her ego and wealthy, influential Tyee Club boosters that brought Mike Hopkins to Montlake most likely want to give Mike Hopkins more time to turn around the program which he is sinking.

Syracuse West is a failure...and Mike Hopkins came to the UW from a dirty NCAA sanctioned program. Lay down with an inexperienced head coach from a dirty basketball program and wake up four years later in despair wondering where LoRo's recruits went.

Bring on the BRoy coaching era at Montlake!!!!!!!

no_uh said:

no_uh said:

Nobody on this coaching staff can recruit or evaluate talent. I guess Willingham should have just been allowed to fire his assistants after 0-12. If the athletic department is too tight on money for the buyout, they should go get a loan. Hell, pledge Hec Ed as security too. It's not that hard. All of this smells like mismanagement from the top and pathetic attempts to safe face by you know who.
    Those very same wealthy, influential Tyee Club boosters that ante up'd for LoRo's buyout (3.2 million) in order to bring Mike Hopkins to Montlake need to dig deep in their collective pockets and buyout Mike Hopkins by making him an offer that he can't refuse.

• biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,982
    Is there any truth to that rumor? What a fucking joke if so.
  • PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021
    Longtime poster from other site but haven’t post there in ages and likely won’t again. The elitism with the powers that be is off the charts so fuck em.

Anyway...been a die hard hoop fan for last 35 years.

I have met Hopkins and watched practice. Played in college and still play to this day.

Here is a simple take on him based from experience

He used his enthusiasm to help try and cover up all his coaching defects. He hugged me the very first time he met me because my family donates a lot of money. I imagine I get jack shit if I’m a normal plebeian but a reach around if he knew I was a Tyee member.

Today’s players don’t want to play a zone 24/7. That is for old men in the Psbl. Syracuse has lost its recruiting swagger for a decade now. Jen Cohen has literally destroyed both hoops programs.

Hopkins and whoever coaches the ladies team need to be fired, as well as everyone on their staff except maybe Will Conroy. Cameron dollar needs to step away from Chick fil A and start hooping in the bellevue league again when it opens.

I play with a ton of local CC level talent.(yes today...undercover outdoors...play 2-4 times a week. About 40-50 of us total in the mix) None of them ever mention a word about husky basketball. It wasn’t like that during the Romar era. Even at the end young kids would talk about the dawgs.

Hopkins has more hair than we have wins and that’s not saying much.

The only good thing about sucking so bad is that the losses don’t hurt much as they are expected.
    Wtf?

First time poster

Just posted a bunch of shit and it somehow got deleted. Not sure if it was me

Anyway....

Hopkins sucks
    Ladies coach sucks
    Cohen sucks

Local talent could care less about the dawgs right now. I play with a large group of 40-50 players undercover outdoors right now and half are 16-22 year olds. None talk about the dawgs. It was never like that during the Romar Era. Even at the end kids talked about the dawgs.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

Wtf?

First time poster

Just posted a bunch of shit and it somehow got deleted. Not sure if it was me

Anyway....

Hopkins sucks
    Ladies coach sucks
    Cohen sucks

Local talent could care less about the dawgs right now. I play with a large group of 40-50 players undercover outdoors right now and half are 16-22 year olds. None talk about the dawgs. It was never like that during the Romar Era. Even at the end kids talked about the dawgs.

I just PM'd you. I was reading it when a strange error message popped up and your post disappeared. I'm not sure what happened, I haven't seen that happen before. In any event, you are more than welcome to post your opinions here.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club
    In Prestonluv's original post, he also stated he has been following basketball closely for 35 years...

You think Conroy wants to run a 2-3 zone? No, no he doesn't. Local recruits aren't running from Conroy, they are running from Hop.
    Facts.

Conroy can't get the top local Sea-Tac area HS recruits to commit to the UW because of Mike Hopkins. Plus, they don't like the way that Mike Hopkins singled out, scapegoated top local HS recruit Jaden McDaniels for last season's Husky tailspin by benching him. When we can all see now that it wasn't Jaden's fault it was Mike Hopkins fault for his mismanagement of overseeing the roster/season.

Mike Hopkins won't be getting any Rotary AAU recruits in the near future from what I have been hearing no matter how hard Will Conroy recruits them. And if Jen has Mike Hopkins fire Will Conroy s a scapegoat it will set him back even further in the greater Seattle basketball community.

I find it very believable that every critical thinking person who closely follows Husky men's basketball can see that Mike Hopkins and his refusal to adapt his coaching strategies, tactics to fit his players strengths is the problem. His in game basketball acumen is lackluster as he stays married to the 2-3 zone and his Xs & Os are very elementary in nature.

To fix this current UW men's basketball program disaster Jen needs to dig out the roots of the program (Mike Hopkins) and replace them with new roots (Travis DeCuire, BRoy, etc) not just trim the hedges (fire the assistant coaches) in order to give a new appearance on the very same bush (program).
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

Yeah. Hoop is my life man.

Followed dawgs since the 80s.

Family has had season tiks to Football since the 50s but I could care less about football.

The amazing thing is that we don’t have a pro hoops team and for 4 years there has been very little talk among the kids I play with regarding the huskies. I’m not talking division 1 recruits. I am talking about the small college players...ones that should at least be fans of the huskies. Very few of them care and that wasn’t the case during most of the Romar Era.

Who want to play in a duck fart zone that slows the game down. Syracuse is struggling in recruiting and has been for a decade now. Kids don’t want to play zone. All things equal most kids will choose a school that play man to man which forces a quicker pace of game.

Hopkins lost this team mid last year. There was talks of a mass exodus at end of last year but it seems many were swayed to stay with promises of PT opportunities.

Hopkins is nothing but a used car salesman who fooled the so called elite at UW.

Stay
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Firing the assistants is a nice I'm showing you that I'm really mad and serious about fixing the problem ... but it's one step away from a complete dead person walking situation with the head coach plus you're not going to be able to hire any assistants worth a damn because they are all going to know that they are jumping on the sinking ship.

Moreover, the thing that this year has completely insulated Jen from, and the thing that she's going to put her head in the sand about is the attrition of the season ticket base. I suspect that in a non-COVID environment she was going to lose probably in the range of 25% of season tickets. Next year, she's going to lose probably close to 50% if Hop is back because everybody with a pulse knows that he is pretty much damaged goods at this point combined with people that are going to have NHL season tickets and aren't going to give a shit about going to watch Hop lose by 15.

The one thing that I marginally disagree with is that McDaniels was made an example of last year That's perception. The reality is that his body language was largely terrible and ranks right up there with Tony Wroten for me as least likable Huskies.

Jen won't pull the plug though because not only is Hop her hire, but Wynn is also her hire, and the programs are basically the definition of dreck at this point.
    Tequilla said:

Firing the assistants is a nice I'm showing you that I'm really mad and serious about fixing the problem ... but it's one step away from a complete dead person walking situation with the head coach plus you're not going to be able to hire any assistants worth a damn because they are all going to know that they are jumping on the sinking ship.

Moreover, the thing that this year has completely insulated Jen from, and the thing that she's going to put her head in the sand about is the attrition of the season ticket base. I suspect that in a non-COVID environment she was going to lose probably in the range of 25% of season tickets. Next year, she's going to lose probably close to 50% if Hop is back because everybody with a pulse knows that he is pretty much damaged goods at this point combined with people that are going to have NHL season tickets and aren't going to give a shit about going to watch Hop lose by 15.

The one thing that I marginally disagree with is that McDaniels was made an example of last year That's perception. The reality is that his body language was largely terrible and ranks right up there with Tony Wroten for me as least likable Huskies.

Jen won't pull the plug though because not only is Hop her hire, but Wynn is also her hire, and the programs are basically the definition of dreck at this point.

That so called perception is a reality to those within Rotary AAU and the Seattle basketball community. People, players, recruits talk and that's the word on the street courts. Which is why Mike Hopkins won't be getting any more recruits from the Rotary AAU basketball program word to Nolan Hickman (Kentucky), Paolo Banchero (Duke) and Shane Nowell (Arizona).

I saw nothing wrong with Jaden's body language last season. Even when he was benched he enthusiastically cheered on his teammates from the bench which was visible to anyone that followed Husky basketball last season. If by body language you may mean that Jaden didn't run around the court smiling and laughing well he's not a circus clown. Jaden has a relatively moderate subdued demeanor on the court similar to that of Kawhi Leonard.

I actually like what both Tony Wroten Jr and Jaden McDaniels did by choosing the UW over other offers and playing for the UW. I will always support local kids that choose to stay home and play for the UW over other University offers no matter what may happen on the court for better or for worse.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

That so called perception is a reality to those within Rotary AAU and the Seattle basketball community. People, players, recruits talk and that's the word on the street courts. Which is why Mike Hopkins won't be getting any more recruits from the Rotary AAU basketball program word to Nolan Hickman (Kentucky), Paolo Banchero (Duke) and Shane Nowell (Arizona).

I saw nothing wrong with Jaden's body language last season. Even when he was benched he enthusiastically cheered on his teammates from the bench which was visible to anyone that followed Husky basketball last season. If by body language you may mean that Jaden didn't run around the court smiling and laughing well he's not a circus clown. Jaden has a relatively moderate subdued demeanor on the court similar to that of Kawhi Leonard.

I actually like what both Tony Wroten Jr and Jaden McDaniels did by choosing the UW over other offers and playing for the UW. I will always support local kids that choose to stay home and play for the UW over other University offers no matter what may happen on the court for better or for worse.
    1) Perception is often reality and once you’ve lost that with a core group it’s borderline impossible to get that back

2) Not trying to be an ass, but the AAU community in Seattle has rubbed me wrong for a long time ... there’s an individual selfishness about everybody wanting to get theirs that just doesn’t jive with how I see things

3) Your insinuation of what I consider positive body language is laughable and borderline insulting. My comments regarding Jaden is how often when things weren’t going well for himself he often dropped his head and sulked. Too often he made selfish decisions leading to technicals.

4) I’ve never once made comments not being appreciative or respective of Jaden choosing UW. Everybody has their reasons for things and can understand reasons for leaving early. That said, my opinion is anybody telling him he was ready for the NBA was blowing smoke up his ass. I hope for the best for his NBA career but I don’t have high expectations ... particularly with the situation he’s landed in.

5) For me, I will always call them as I see them and I’m not about blowing smoke up people’s ass. If you aren’t ready you aren’t ready. The truth is hard and not everybody always wants to hear it.
    edited January 2021
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

1) Perception is often reality and once you’ve lost that with a core group it’s borderline impossible to get that back

2) Not trying to be an ass, but the AAU community in Seattle has rubbed me wrong for a long time ... there’s an individual selfishness about everybody wanting to get theirs that just doesn’t jive with how I see things

3) Your insinuation of what I consider positive body language is laughable and borderline insulting. My comments regarding Jaden is how often when things weren’t going well for himself he often dropped his head and sulked. Too often he made selfish decisions leading to technicals.

4) I’ve never once made comments not being appreciative or respective of Jaden choosing UW. Everybody has their reasons for things and can understand reasons for leaving early. That said, my opinion is anybody telling him he was ready for the NBA was blowing smoke up his ass. I hope for the best for his NBA career but I don’t have high expectations ... particularly with the situation he’s landed in.

5) For me, I will always call them as I see them and I’m not about blowing smoke up people’s ass. If you aren’t ready you aren’t ready. The truth is hard and not everybody always wants to hear it.
    Most instances of truth are mostly based in one's perception as what may seem true to one person may not seem true to another.

America's Capitalistic based society is all about everyone wanting to get theirs...and?

I seen every player on the UW's team get upset during last season and this season at different points even the coaches. If that is sulking so be it. Selfish decisions led to technicals? Many of Jaden's technicals could be easily argued as refs singling him out. The only legit technical in my mind was the one for throwing the ball back at the UCLA player while he was sitting on the bench. The other technicals against Arizona, Montana, Utah, Hawaii, and I can't recall the other technical off the top, were all subjected to referee discretion.

Jaden was more than ready for the NBA and has proven as much in his limited minutes as a rookie for Minnesota. The NBA's wide open game is better suited for his all around skill set on both ends of the court. His NBA future is very bright despite where he landed and barring injuries. And just from my reading the various Minnesota Timberwolves fan forums like Canishoopus the T'Wolves fans are very excited about his NBA future as well. They really like what they have seen from Jaden in limited minutes and some even want him thrown into the regular rotation right now.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. The only opinion that matters in most cases like Jaden's is his own. And he thought that he was ready to make the jump to the NBA. He was a first round draft pick and will earn more than $10 million dollars from his four year rookie contract before taxes.
    Let’s ignore the actual coaching of Hopkins for now

Let’s assume Naz returned

Team wouldn’t sniff .500 even with God coaching.

This team has a talent level that is only rivaled by Loggers and Lutes.

Next years talent level might stoop down to SVCC, BCC and LBCC levels.

Cohen should Cut ties with Hop before I finish this deuce.