Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Greatest American General of All Time?

13»

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Worshington

FireCohen said:

Not even fucking close. Not giving into temptation of power makes him a great man. He set a crazy precedent that other leaders after him had to follow.

True but it's hard to say whether this fits under Washington the general of the Continental Army or Washington the politician and father of a nation. I rank Washington, Grant and Ike in this exercise based only on their wartime resume.

Quite honestly Mitch, I didn't think George Washington would ever lead in this poll, yet here he is. I just love him for when the corrupt guys in the Continental Congress wanted him to be king... Washington reportedly kneeled before them to hand over his sword and insisted that we be a republic and not a monarchy. Even if that story might be gussied up with some BS, I just love that humility. It's awesome.

I eat that shit up too. Dude is a fucking legend in terms of history of humanity. History is littered with fucking men that got corrupted by power
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sherman
    William TeCUMseh Sherman

Choice was easy.
    Worshington

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Not even fucking close. Not giving into temptation of power makes him a great man. He set a crazy precedent that other leaders after him had to follow.

True but it's hard to say whether this fits under Washington the general of the Continental Army or Washington the politician and father of a nation. I rank Washington, Grant and Ike in this exercise based only on their wartime resume.

Quite honestly Mitch, I didn't think George Washington would ever lead in this poll, yet here he is. I just love him for when the corrupt guys in the Continental Congress wanted him to be king... Washington reportedly kneeled before them to hand over his sword and insisted that we be a republic and not a monarchy. Even if that story might be gussied up with some BS, I just love that humility. It's awesome.

I eat that shit up too. Dude is a fucking legend in terms of history of humanity. History is littered with fucking men that got corrupted by power
    @FireCohen not spitting hot aids. I’m positively shocked.
    Thanks?
  • FireFireCohenFireFireCohen Member Posts: 73
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Worshington

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    I am a digit clock
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Stonewall Jackson
    Lots of idiots around here love racists I see.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Worshington
    Cougzz said:

1. George Marshall; Genius who supervised Eisenhower and generated the Marshall Plan.
    2. George Washington; Turned down the job of “King”. Also unequivocally won his war.
    3. Winfield Scott; Planned and led the first large scale amphibious landing and ground assault on foreign soil. He set the stage for D Day and WWII Pacific island hopping campaigns.

4. General Farris: Led the American invasion of Grenada

ftfy
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sherman
    Swaye said:

Lots of idiots around here love racists I see.

#whywestayed
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,654
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021
    Swaye said:

By WW2 the American military was like Secretariat, a tremendous machine. Generals were CEOs and @Logistics was on a global scale. There were thousands of staff doing the grunt work

Washington and Grant et al were more of a one man show

To add to @RaceBannon 's point...

Ike clearly got the job done, but it you had subbed in another figure I don't know that the outcome looks much different. We still beat the Nazis.

I don't think you can say that about Washington or Grant. W/o either of those guysm being the man of the hour, I don't know that we? win.

I still rank Grant ahead of Washington, because George fucked up in the summer of 1776 and damn near lost the war. Furthermore, his greatest victory at Yorktown was the ultimate case of it being better to be lucky than good. It was miracle that the French navy didn't fuck up and got to the Chesapeake before the Royal Navy. I mean how often did the French beat the British at sea?
    I definitely have some decency bias for Ike.
    Recency or decency bias? Ike was a very decent man, of course.
    Kay Summersby agrees.

Wood - kinda got that librarian/stern school teacher thing going on.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Patton
    I go with Patton. Because, why not? And I've watched the movie with my uncle 1,000 times, and will watch it 1,000 moar before my tim is up.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2021
    MacArthur
    I will stand up and support MacArthur! Because

My elementary school was named for him.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2021
    Grant

Honorable mentions...

Phil Sheridan
    Winfield Scott
    Omar Bradley
    Black Jack Pershing
    Storming Norman
    Zachary Taylor

I do love me some Anaconda Plan.

While his legacy is certainly tarnished by his involvement with The Trail of Tears, Old Fuss and Feathers got a lot of great FREE PUB! from the Duke of Wellington and General Lee, who both spoke highly of his work as a general, which was a long ass tim...1814-1861.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Stonewall Jackson

Honorable mentions...

Phil Sheridan
    Winfield Scott
    Omar Bradley
    Black Jack Pershing
    Storming Norman
    Zachary Taylor

While his legacy is certainly tarnished by his involvement with The Trail of Tears, Old Fuss and Feathers got a lot of great FREE PUB! from the Duke of Wellington and General Lee, who both spoke highly of his work as a general, which was a long ass tim...1814-1861.
    Scott was actually brilliant, but the senseless murder of many thousand Cherokee kind of puts a damper on things.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Ike
    Swaye said:

Honorable mentions...

Phil Sheridan
    Winfield Scott
    Omar Bradley
    Black Jack Pershing
    Storming Norman
    Zachary Taylor

Scott was actually brilliant, but the senseless murder of many thousand Cherokee kind of puts a damper on things.
    Scott is credited with giving the 3rd Armored Cavalry its motto:

The regiment’s motto “Blood and Steel” and its nickname “Brave Rifles” derive from an accolade given to the regiment during the Mexican-American War by General Winfield Scott.

Scott said, “Brave Rifles! Veterans! You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel!”