Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This Day in Music January 11

1924 - Slim Harpo
American blues musician Slim Harpo. His most successful and influential recordings included ‘I'm a King Bee’ (1957), ‘Rainin' In My Heart’ (1961), and ‘Baby Scratch My Back’ (1966). A master of the blues harmonica, his stage name was derived from the popular nickname for that instrument, the "harp". He died of a heart attack on 31 January 1970 aged 46.

1942 - Clarence Clemons
Clarence Clemons, also known as The Big Man, saxophonist with E Street Band, (1987 UK No.16 single Born To Run). He released several solo albums and in 1985, had a hit single with "You're a Friend of Mine," a duet with Jackson Browne and as an actor Clemons featured in several films, including New York, New York and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Clemons died from complications caused by a stroke on June 18, 2011.

1946 - Naomi Judd
American country music singer Naomi Judd. With her daughter, Wynonna Judd, she formed the highly successful singing duo known as the Judds. They scored twenty top-10 country hits (including fifteen at No.1) and went undefeated for eight consecutive years at all three major country music awards shows. In addition, the duo won five Grammy Awards.

1949 - Frederick Dennis Greene
Frederick Dennis Greene, who was a member of Sha Na Na, the US rock 'n' roll group. Sha Na Na hosted the Sha Na Na syndicated variety series that ran from 1977 to 1981.

1956 - Big Bank Hank
Big Bank Hank (Henry Lee Jackson), rapper from The Sugarhill Gang who were the first hip hop act to have a hit with the cross-over single 'Rapper's Delight' in the pop charts in 1979. He died on Nov 11th 2014 aged 58 from kidney complications due to cancer.

1958 - Vicki Peterson
Vicki Peterson, guitar, vocals, The Bangles, (1986 UK No.2 single with the Prince song 'Manic Monday', 1986 US No.1 single 'Walk Like An Egyptian').

1964 - The Kingsmen
'Louie Louie' by The Kingsmen was the No.1 song on the US Cash Box music chart. For a while, the record was banned by a handful of US radio stations because of its indecipherable lyrics, which were rumored to contain some naughty words. Even the F.B.I. investigated the song, but finally concluded that they could find nothing wrong.