Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Academis questions for Creep

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Woof said:

Woof said:

As a fellow Virginia resident, unless she's getting into McIntire, I agree that UW is probably better for the quant-ish stuff.

For lowly liberal arts degrees, UVA or William and Mary are definitely better. UW is a relatively unknown quantity out here.

Penn State is the ASU of the Northeast.

Mostly true. If "lowly liberal arts degrees" include physics, psychology, sociology and math (just off the top of my head), and a smattering of other stuff, UW is actually better than UVa, and I'd expect it's better than W&M across the board ... at least in terms of department rankings, which is driven by research; something with which W&M can't compete with UW.

UVa is going to have the prestige edge amongst the snooty smarty crowds, and it's better than UW in several/some things; and it's overall more selective and harder to get into than UW. So the Wall Street people will like it more, as just one example of how that plays out.

Comp. Sci. or anything in the health sciences and UW is clearly better school. You're right that not everybody will know that, but at that level uninformed you shouldn't care.
    For undergrad, strong disagree, because what most prestigious employers and grad schools care about is the difficulty of getting into said school, along with the average GPA/SAT/ACT type stuff.

The stats for the three schools are as follows:
    UVA - 25% acceptance, 1430 SAT
    W&M - 36% acceptance, 1415 SAT
    UW - 49% acceptance, 1340 SAT

Now if a student just wants to be a teacher or a nurse, or just get a diploma and not pursue a graduate degree, the argument is moot. If you want to get a job on Wall Street, are pursuing a few specific degrees like CompSci, or get into a top grad school, then the name on your undergrad degree matters much more.

For grad schools, I'm in agreement with everything you said. UW punches far above its undergrad ranking across almost every graduate degree.
    Truth. I’m a pour because of my Pumpeii Mill UW BA.

And also cause I’m lazy as fuck at academis.
    You or somebody asked about Willamette. Yes, solid school. You can't be dumb and slide in. It's an not elite place by ranking, reputation or substance, but it's a solid small private college. In this category, none of the PNW schools are ranked super high nationally, and there are a variety of reasons for that. I rank the NW liberal arts colleges as follows:

Whitman/Reed - academically in their own league in the PNW and pretty much beyond dispute. Very hard to get in; your classmates will all be smart and intellectually rigorous kids. If you say something stupid in class, it will really stand out. These guys are more comparable to (but not as highly ranked as) the Little Three, Pomona, Claremont, Middlebury, Swarthmore, Hamilton, Colgate, Bowdoin, Colby, etc. If small college in the PNW is what you want, these are the top 2 and it's pretty clear. How Fetters got into Whitman I'll never know.

Willamette/UPS/PLU/Lewis&Clark - decent gap between these guysms and Whitman/Reed, but solid schools. L&C may be a little more selective than the others here.

Whitworth/Linfield/GF - I might be wrong in terms of selectivity; this is more general impression.

If I'm forgetting someone, it doesn't really matter.

I am a big Willamette fan. Mostly because without Willamette I wouldn't be here. My two dads met while one was in law school and the other an undergrad.

I have no idea the status anymore, however the Law School used to be exceptional. My dad's class had a lot of people who went on to elite careers. I don't remember all of them but one specifically was the first to take on the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church for diddling little bois. From there he went and lectured at Oxford.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021
    pawz said:

Woof said:

Woof said:

As a fellow Virginia resident, unless she's getting into McIntire, I agree that UW is probably better for the quant-ish stuff.

For lowly liberal arts degrees, UVA or William and Mary are definitely better. UW is a relatively unknown quantity out here.

Mostly true. If "lowly liberal arts degrees" include physics, psychology, sociology and math (just off the top of my head), and a smattering of other stuff, UW is actually better than UVa, and I'd expect it's better than W&M across the board ... at least in terms of department rankings, which is driven by research; something with which W&M can't compete with UW.

UVa is going to have the prestige edge amongst the snooty smarty crowds, and it's better than UW in several/some things; and it's overall more selective and harder to get into than UW. So the Wall Street people will like it more, as just one example of how that plays out.

Comp. Sci. or anything in the health sciences and UW is clearly better school. You're right that not everybody will know that, but at that level uninformed you shouldn't care.
    For undergrad, strong disagree, because what most prestigious employers and grad schools care about is the difficulty of getting into said school, along with the average GPA/SAT/ACT type stuff.

Now if a student just wants to be a teacher or a nurse, or just get a diploma and not pursue a graduate degree, the argument is moot. If you want to get a job on Wall Street, are pursuing a few specific degrees like CompSci, or get into a top grad school, then the name on your undergrad degree matters much more.

For grad schools, I'm in agreement with everything you said. UW punches far above its undergrad ranking across almost every graduate degree.

You or somebody asked about Willamette. Yes, solid school. You can't be dumb and slide in. It's an not elite place by ranking, reputation or substance, but it's a solid small private college. In this category, none of the PNW schools are ranked super high nationally, and there are a variety of reasons for that. I rank the NW liberal arts colleges as follows:

Whitman/Reed - academically in their own league in the PNW and pretty much beyond dispute. Very hard to get in; your classmates will all be smart and intellectually rigorous kids. If you say something stupid in class, it will really stand out. These guys are more comparable to (but not as highly ranked as) the Little Three, Pomona, Claremont, Middlebury, Swarthmore, Hamilton, Colgate, Bowdoin, Colby, etc. If small college in the PNW is what you want, these are the top 2 and it's pretty clear. How Fetters got into Whitman I'll never know.

Willamette/UPS/PLU/Lewis&Clark - decent gap between these guysms and Whitman/Reed, but solid schools. L&C may be a little more selective than the others here.

Whitworth/Linfield/GF - I might be wrong in terms of selectivity; this is more general impression.

I am a big Willamette fan. Mostly because without Willamette I wouldn't be here. My two dads met while one was in law school and the other an undergrad.

I have no idea the status anymore, however the Law School used to be exceptional. My dad's class had a lot of people who went on to elite careers. I don't remember all of them but one specifically was the first to take on the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church for diddling little bois. From there he went and lectured at Oxford.

It's a good school. I would not have blinked an eye if any of my kids had wanted to attend. Basically, most kids who can get into Willamette can get into UW undergrad today. The people I know from there are smart and effective and tend to be pretty successful.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

@creepycoug how do I keep my sons from becoming lowly quooks or boovs?

Didn’t read through the thread. But take them to a small town in Eastern or Central Oregon, where it’s legal to pump your own gas on the weekend.
    whlinder said:

Send them to Willamette or George Fox?

The jooges would have accepted Linfield.

pawz said:

Woof said:

Woof said:

It's a good school. I would not have blinked an eye if any of my kids had wanted to attend. Basically, most kids who can get into Willamette can get into UW undergrad today. The people I know from there are smart and effective and tend to be pretty successful.
    It used to be that most Willamette kids were from California 20 years ago but moar are local now. Be it paying out of state tuition in this ECONOMIS!!! or whatever the factor is, many more are locos. And considering Oregon Public High Schools consistently are bottom 10 in performance and grad rates, it should open some eyes. However Tokyo U is still a big thing at Willamette with hundreds coming over the blue pond every year to study. And as we know, Salem ain’t Malibu. So basically I’ve spun a lot of circles here to say that Willamette is still probably a decent school.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Honestly can’t complain about UW education itself, but trying get jobs on the east coast fucking sucked with it coming out of school. Definitely a brand issue
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021

Woof said:

Agree with all of this, but to 99% of the world a UVA degree is an elite degree. UW is not. I say this as a UW grad (undergrad). UVA, whether deserved or not, is the east coast Berkeley (whether deserved or not). But maybe that is what you were saying anyway. English isn't my first language. And neither is Cuban.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    d
    haie said:

You should have your kids go to Portland State. That way they can go be someone's bitch in Hillsboro and be an unfunny Twitter douche hanging out with the rest of the dregs of the Portland area talking about their jack duck fandom and why they're smarter than everyone else because of their politics.
    I'm probably going to have to start the kids on the rowing machine around age 14-15 to get them into UW out of state. Worked for me. I'm was Cuog material academically coming out of HS.
    Kaepsknee said:

pawz said:

Woof said:

Woof said:

It used to be that most Willamette kids were from California 20 years ago but moar are local now. Be it paying out of state tuition in this ECONOMIS!!! or whatever the factor is, many more are locos. And considering Oregon Public High Schools consistently are bottom 10 in performance and grad rates, it should open some eyes. However Tokyo U is still a big thing at Willamette with hundreds coming over the blue pond every year to study. And as we know, Salem ain’t Malibu. So basically I’ve spun a lot of circles here to say that Willamette is still probably a decent school.
    Willamette tuition is the same for in- or out-of-staters.
    Founders Club

d

haie said:

You should have your kids go to Portland State. That way they can go be someone's bitch in Hillsboro and be an unfunny Twitter douche hanging out with the rest of the dregs of the Portland area talking about their jack duck fandom and why they're smarter than everyone else because of their politics.
    I'm probably going to have to start the kids on the rowing machine around age 14-15 to get them into UW out of state. Worked for me. I'm was Cuog material academically coming out of HS.
    That's obvious.
    edited January 2021
    Swaye said:

Woof said:

Agree with all of this, but to 99% of the world a UVA degree is an elite degree. UW is not. I say this as a UW grad (undergrad). UVA, whether deserved or not, is the east coast Berkeley (whether deserved or not). But maybe that is what you were saying anyway. English isn't my first language. And neither is Cuban.
    We speak Cuban here engin. I thought we? were clear at the time of the transfer of power.

Agreed; UVa is the Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill is the UCLA. The east coast doesn't have a lot of great public universities outside of the academies, which is a different kettle of fish altogether. The midwest and west are where that game is played best. Florida has become a very solid public U, as has Georgia. But they would suffer the same "ok" reputation rep as UW. UVa and UNC are acceptable to the academis elites. As far as publics, Cal is the better school, followed somewhat closely by Michigan, just IMO.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Woof said:

We speak Cuban here engin. I thought we? were clear at the time of the transfer of power.

Agreed; UVa is the Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill is the UCLA. The east coast doesn't have a lot of great public universities. The mid-west and west are where that game is played best. Florida has become a very solid public U, as has Georgia. But they would suffer the same reputation rep as UW. UVa and UNC are acceptable to the academis elites. As far as publics, Cal is the better school, followed somewhat closely by Michigan, just IMO.
    Yeah around these parts I think most people "in the know" kind of think Cal, UVA and Michigan are kind of the class of the publics, followed by the second tiers like UNC, Texas, UCLA, etc.
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Woof said:

Agreed; UVa is the Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill is the UCLA. The east coast doesn't have a lot of great public universities. The mid-west and west are where that game is played best. Florida has become a very solid public U, as has Georgia. But they would suffer the same reputation rep as UW. UVa and UNC are acceptable to the academis elites. As far as publics, Cal is the better school, followed somewhat closely by Michigan, just IMO.
    Yeah around these parts I think most people "in the know" kind of think Cal, UVA and Michigan are kind of the class of the publics, followed by the second tiers like UNC, Texas, UCLA, etc.
    That's generally how I think of them. UVa is a different animal. On research prowess alone, I would guess they can't compete with the big big dogs like Cal or Michigan, and probably a lot of others like UW, Texas, etc. UVa is more classically elite based on history, campus, etc. It's looks, feels and behaves like a fancy schmancy private school and excels in the things that those schools excel in ... law, business, etc. It's basically Georgetown but, by accident of history, it's publicly funded. The experience there, I would guess, is unique and quite different from that of being in a yuge state university like Cal or Michigan.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Woof said:

That's generally how I think of them. UVa is a different animal. On research prowess alone, I would guess they can't compete with the big big dogs like Cal or Michigan, and probably a lot of others like UW, Texas, etc. UVa is more classically elite based on history, campus, etc. It's looks, feels and behaves like a fancy schmancy private school and excels in the things that those schools excel in ... law, business, etc. It's basically Georgetown but, by accident of history, it's publicly funded. The experience there, I would guess, is unique and quite different from that of being in a yuge state university like Cal or Michigan.
    I would agree. It is really unique. Almost no publics get to be "elite" without research dollars, and by that measure UVA doesn't stack up. It really is treated like a Columbia or Brown or what have you, even though it's a public. It occupies a unique space, but is undoubtedly a high end education and it will propel you if you want Law or Business - as you indicated. It's a great school. Unlikely the progeny of Swaye ever go there, though with the Tribal affiliation (which I will abuse because why not) who knows?