Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Academis questions for Creep

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
@creepycoug how do I keep my sons from becoming lowly quooks or boovs?

Comments

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Send them to Willamette or George Fox?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Is Willamtte any good academically? I tend to be anti private school unless it’s elite enough to merit the cost.
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2021

whlinder said:

Is Willamtte any good academically? I tend to be anti private school unless it’s elite enough to merit the cost.
    I have no idea. I only mentioned the two Oregon schools I know other than the gas pumpers in our conference because my cousin went to George Fox and my dad went to Willamette. Both are pretty smart and got advanced degrees and aren’t fuck ups, but that’s obviously a tiny sample.

Agree on private schools in general. I’ve got a couple of years to convince my kid that Penn State is not worth the money over Virginia schools.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I have no idea. I only mentioned the two Oregon schools I know other than the gas pumpers in our conference because my cousin went to George Fox and my dad went to Willamette. Both are pretty smart and got advanced degrees and aren’t fuck ups, but that’s obviously a tiny sample.

Agree on private schools in general. I’ve got a couple of years to convince my kid that Penn State is not worth the money over Virginia schools.
    My row boat dude, you are chocked full of public ivy’s in VA. It’s ridiculous. UVA plus William and Mary. Fuck Pedo St, no offense to Mrs @whlinder of course.

Shockingly, UW isn’t ranked that far of Oregon bright now. UW is 58 and Oregon is 103.

We? Are behind a lot of schools I would view as inferior.
    Standard Supporter
    Oh I know, but the girl likes football. So she wants to go to Penn State. I’m working on it.
    I’m throwing stones in a glass house with that since I didn’t apply to UVA or any other Virginia school.

UW is better than that but with it being so big the amazing things it does get averaged down. I know a lot of UVA people and I swear that for the quantitative fields UW is way better.
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    As a fellow Virginia resident, unless she's getting into McIntire, I agree that UW is probably better for the quant-ish stuff.

For lowly liberal arts degrees, UVA or William and Mary are definitely better. UW is a relatively unknown quantity out here.

Penn State is the ASU of the Northeast.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Woof said:

As a fellow Virginia resident, unless she's getting into McIntire, I agree that UW is probably better for the quant-ish stuff.

For lowly liberal arts degrees, UVA or William and Mary are definitely better. UW is a relatively unknown quantity out here.

But with a little bit of extra child raping on the side
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Woof said:

Mostly true. If "lowly liberal arts degrees" include physics, psychology, sociology and math (just off the top of my head), and a smattering of other stuff, UW is actually better than UVa, and I'd expect it's better than W&M across the board ... at least in terms of department rankings, which is driven by research; something with which W&M can't compete with UW.

UVa is going to have the prestige edge amongst the snooty smarty crowds, and it's better than UW in several/some things; and it's overall more selective and harder to get into than UW. So the Wall Street people will like it more, as just one example of how that plays out.

Comp. Sci. or anything in the health sciences and UW is clearly better school. You're right that not everybody will know that, but at that level uninformed you shouldn't care.
    whlinder said:

Oh I know, but the girl likes football. So she wants to go to Penn State. I’m working on it.
    I’m throwing stones in a glass house with that since I didn’t apply to UVA or any other Virginia school.

UW is better than that but with it being so big the amazing things it does get averaged down. I know a lot of UVA people and I swear that for the quantitative fields UW is way better.

Agreed. UW, for whatever reason, has never been all that successful in getting its rep. on the east coast. They tend to think of Cal and Furd and UCLA first among schools in the west.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    edited January 2021
    In a world where Bachelors degrees in pumping gas are just being handed out, where you get one from doesn’t really matter. It’s where you get your Masters degree in pumping gas that matters.
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769

Woof said:

Mostly true. If "lowly liberal arts degrees" include physics, psychology, sociology and math (just off the top of my head), and a smattering of other stuff, UW is actually better than UVa, and I'd expect it's better than W&M across the board ... at least in terms of department rankings, which is driven by research; something with which W&M can't compete with UW.

UVa is going to have the prestige edge amongst the snooty smarty crowds, and it's better than UW in several/some things; and it's overall more selective and harder to get into than UW. So the Wall Street people will like it more, as just one example of how that plays out.

Comp. Sci. or anything in the health sciences and UW is clearly better school. You're right that not everybody will know that, but at that level uninformed you shouldn't care.
    For undergrad, strong disagree, because what most prestigious employers and grad schools care about is the difficulty of getting into said school, along with the average GPA/SAT/ACT type stuff.

The stats for the three schools are as follows:
    UVA - 25% acceptance, 1430 SAT
    W&M - 36% acceptance, 1415 SAT
    UW - 49% acceptance, 1340 SAT

Now if a student just wants to be a teacher or a nurse, or just get a diploma and not pursue a graduate degree, the argument is moot. If you want to get a job on Wall Street, are pursuing a few specific degrees like CompSci, or get into a top grad school, then the name on your undergrad degree matters much more.

For grad schools, I'm in agreement with everything you said. UW punches far above its undergrad ranking across almost every graduate degree.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Woof said:

For undergrad, strong disagree, because what most prestigious employers and grad schools care about is the difficulty of getting into said school, along with the average GPA/SAT/ACT type stuff.

Now if a student just wants to be a teacher or a nurse, or just get a diploma and not pursue a graduate degree, the argument is moot. If you want to get a job on Wall Street, are pursuing a few specific degrees like CompSci, or get into a top grad school, then the name on your undergrad degree matters much more.

For grad schools, I'm in agreement with everything you said. UW punches far above its undergrad ranking across almost every graduate degree.
    Truth. I’m a pour because of my Pumpeii Mill UW BA.

And also cause I’m lazy as fuck at academis.
    edited January 2021

Woof said:

Woof said:

Truth. I’m a pour because of my Pumpeii Mill UW BA.

And also cause I’m lazy as fuck at academis.
    You or somebody asked about Willamette. Yes, solid school. You can't be dumb and slide in. It's an not elite place by ranking, reputation or substance, but it's a solid small private college. In this category, none of the PNW schools are ranked super high nationally, and there are a variety of reasons for that. I rank the NW liberal arts colleges as follows:

Whitman/Reed - academically in their own league in the PNW and pretty much beyond dispute. Very hard to get in; your classmates will all be smart and intellectually rigorous kids. If you say something stupid in class, it will really stand out. These guys are more comparable to (but not as highly ranked as) the Little Three, Pomona, Claremont, Middlebury, Swarthmore, Hamilton, Colgate, Bowdoin, Colby, etc. If small college in the PNW is what you want, these are the top 2 and it's pretty clear. How Fetters got into Whitman I'll never know.

Willamette/UPS/PLU/Lewis&Clark - decent gap between these guysms and Whitman/Reed, but solid schools. L&C may be a little more selective than the others here.

Whitworth/Linfield/GF - I might be wrong in terms of selectivity; this is more general impression.

If I'm forgetting someone, it doesn't really matter.

Woof said:

Woof said:

I think we're in general agreement across the board actually. UVa is more selective. I was just saying that UW has some departments that are quietly among the nation's best ... top 10 or 15. More than people tend to think. In those departments, at least, you can say UW is the better school. But department rankings are affected by research metrics, and it's questinable how relevant that is to the undergraduate experience.

There are exceptions. If, for example, you want Comp. Sci, UW is the clear choice, even at undergrad. We're just better at that than all but a small handful of schools and the people who matter know it. Other than that and a few other things, the measure of relevance for undergraduate studies is selectivity ... how smart are your freshman classmates. And on that score, UVa is better than UW, no question. That's where the reputation factor comes in, and you're right. It matters. Not forever, but it does matter for a time.