Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Greatest American General of All Time?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant
    Tequilla said:

Patton was the definition of talking shit and his boys backing it up

He wins the award for greatest shit talking pre game speech of all time.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Worshington
    Not even fucking close. Not giving into temptation of power makes him a great man. He set a crazy precedent that other leaders after him had to follow.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant
    FireCohen said:

Not even fucking close. Not giving into temptation of power makes him a great man. He set a crazy precedent that other leaders after him had to follow.

True but it's hard to say whether this fits under Washington the general of the Continental Army or Washington the politician and father of a nation. I rank Washington, Grant and Ike in this exercise based only on their wartime resume.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Worshington
    Quite honestly Mitch, I didn't think George Washington would ever lead in this poll, yet here he is. I just love him for when the corrupt guys in the Continental Congress wanted him to be king... Washington reportedly kneeled before them to hand over his sword and insisted that we be a republic and not a monarchy. Even if that story might be gussied up with some BS, I just love that humility. It's awesome.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Quite honestly Mitch, I didn't think George Washington would ever lead in this poll, yet here he is. I just love him for when the corrupt guys in the Continental Congress wanted him to be king... Washington reportedly kneeled before them to hand over his sword and insisted that we be a republic and not a monarchy. Even if that story might be gussied up with some BS, I just love that humility. It's awesome.

Sorry he owned slaves therefore that made him the worst General ever. Tear down his statues.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant

George III said that him resigning his post would make him the greatest man in the world.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Patton
    went with Patton cause he was just nuts, and the end of an era, not really a politician which I like.

Ike was the beginning of politically correct military administration.

Thought for sure @swaye was going to go with Custer...my Indian friends always do without having to have a poll.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant
    LebamDawg said:

went with Patton cause he was just nuts, and the end of an era, not really a politician which I like.

Ike was the beginning of politically correct military administration.

Thought for sure @swaye was going to go with Custer...my Indian friends always do without having to have a poll.

Custer was only a Lt. colonel when team @Swaye scalped his Pumpeii esque golden blonde locs.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    Patton

Honorable mention for the guy that can save you money and time
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant

This guy has the incorrect 5 star rank on his helmet.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Worshington
    Mad_Son said:

This guy has the incorrect 5 star rank on his helmet.
    Interesting observation. I'm beginning to suspect he may not be a real general.
    I assumed he was a member of The Village People
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021
    Grant

By WW2 the American military was like Secretariat, a tremendous machine. Generals were CEOs and @Logistics was on a global scale. There were thousands of staff doing the grunt work

Washington and Grant et al were more of a one man show

To add to @RaceBannon 's point...

Ike clearly got the job done, but it you had subbed in another figure I don't know that the outcome looks much different. We still beat the Nazis.

I don't think you can say that about Washington or Grant. W/o either of those guysm being the man of the hour, I don't know that we? win.

I still rank Grant ahead of Washington, because George fucked up in the summer of 1776 and damn near lost the war. Furthermore, his greatest victory at Yorktown was the ultimate case of it being better to be lucky than good. It was miracle that the French navy didn't fuck up and got to the Chesapeake before the Royal Navy. I mean how often did the French beat the British at sea?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021
    Grant

By WW2 the American military was like Secretariat, a tremendous machine. Generals were CEOs and @Logistics was on a global scale. There were thousands of staff doing the grunt work

Ike clearly got the job done, but it you had subbed in another figure I don't know that the outcome looks much different. We still beat the Nazis.

I don't think you can say that about Washington or Grant. W/o either of those guysm being the man of the hour, I don't know that we? win.

I still rank Grant ahead of Washington, because George fucked up in the summer of 1776 and damn near lost the war. Furthermore, his greatest victory at Yorktown was the ultimate case of it being better to be lucky than good. It was miracle that the French navy didn't fuck up and got to the Chesapeake before the Royal Navy. I mean how often did the French beat the British at sea?
    I definitely have some decency bias for Ike.
    Recency or decency bias? Ike was a very decent man, of course.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Stonewall Jackson

I definitely have some decency bias for Ike.
    Recency or decency bias? Ike was a very decent man, of course.
    Kay Summersby agrees.
  • CougzzCougzz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1. George Marshall; Genius who supervised Eisenhower and generated the Marshall Plan.
    2. George Washington; Turned down the job of “King”. Also unequivocally won his war.
    3. Winfield Scott; Planned and led the first large scale amphibious landing and ground assault on foreign soil. He set the stage for D Day and WWII Pacific island hopping campaigns.