Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PFF: Oregon vs Washington vs USC – Offense Analysis

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021

You're assuming Shough is Oregon's starting quarterback next year. That is highly doubtful. It's either Anthony Brown or Ty Thompson

This sounds familiar. Oregon fans were touting Shough as being better than Herbert a year ago.
    The Shough evolution has been one of the most-entertaining Pac-12 cycles I've ever seen. Going into the season Shough was definitely better than Herbert and possibly better than Mariota and now he's shown to at least be pretty questionable as a redshirt sophomore and now it's onto the next guys. The Sewell evolution was similar where he was the greatest offensive lineman in history but as soon as he opted out the offensive line was still somehow going to be just as good without him.

If there are football gods, Oregon might have some bad luck with QBs coming up after having two guys they didn't really want in Mariota and Herbert turn into what they became.
    Bullshit. Try a little harder dude. Nobody was saying that. And nobody said or implied that they wouldn't miss Sewell.

Try and have some semblance of objectivity, at least for appearances.

You're assuming Shough is Oregon's starting quarterback next year. That is highly doubtful. It's either Anthony Brown or Ty Thompson

This sounds familiar. Oregon fans were touting Shough as being better than Herbert a year ago.
    Lolz. There's more than one of them.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,059
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Brown or Thompson would still be a major question mark at QB. Brown was nice in a few appearances but that's way different than being a starting QB every down and clearly Shough beat him out in practice. Starting a true freshman would be a major question too no matter how highly rated. UW with Huard at least has a decent set up where if Huard wins the job over Morris it shows he's probably pretty good because Morris showed well in 2020. Thompson also seems a lot like Shough to me in a guy who looked like a mid-four star type guy with some skills who gets a lot of hype out of the Oregon camp/fans.

Sounds dangerously similar to another poster who hung around here .... and his student.

Staff? True??
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Brown or Thompson would still be a major question mark at QB. Brown was nice in a few appearances but that's way different than being a starting QB every down and clearly Shough beat him out in practice. Starting a true freshman would be a major question too no matter how highly rated. UW with Huard at least has a decent set up where if Huard wins the job over Morris it shows he's probably pretty good because Morris showed well in 2020. Thompson also seems a lot like Shough to me in a guy who looked like a mid-four star type guy with some skills who gets a lot of hype out of the Oregon camp/fans.

Sounds dangerously similar to another poster who hung around here .... and his student.
    FREE PUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    DJDuck said:

That is a lie

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/66242/change-my-mind-duck-fans

In the famous words of btp, "lol"
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    @DJDuck struggling on every thread.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,388
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So much anger. I guess I missed the tone of this site and didn't realize any statements couldn't contain a little bit of hyperbole but yes, there were plenty of Dooks on Twitter that were touting how they were more excited for Shough than Herbert. Saying they thought he would be better than Mariota is a bit of a joke but that's more of a comment on the general hype fans were giving Shough with no real proof of anything.

With the Mariota recruitment I only remember what I vaguely remember from the excellent source of Doogman and recruiting rankings but I also don't remember much excitement from the Oregon camp when he was signed. He was definitely an underrated recruit though and if UW truly didn't sell out for him and was fine with Derrick Brown that was a huge miss. I for sure know and remember Oregon only took Herbert after whiffing on a ton of QBs. I will also give them credit for that though as at the time I thought a lot more schools should have taken a shot on him.

Either way, the pre-hype on Shough was way more loud than it was for either of those guys. That is all.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

So much anger. I guess I missed the tone of this site and didn't realize any statements couldn't contain a little bit of hyperbole but yes, there were plenty of Dooks on Twitter that were touting how they were more excited for Shough than Herbert. Saying they thought he would be better than Mariota is a bit of a joke but that's more of a comment on the general hype fans were giving Shough with no real proof of anything.

With the Mariota recruitment I only remember what I vaguely remember from the excellent source of Doogman and recruiting rankings but I also don't remember much excitement from the Oregon camp when he was signed. He was definitely an underrated recruit though and if UW truly didn't sell out for him and was fine with Derrick Brown that was a huge miss. I for sure know and remember Oregon only took Herbert after whiffing on a ton of QBs. I will also give them credit for that though as at the time I thought a lot more schools should have taken a shot on him.

Either way, the pre-hype on Shough was way more loud than it was for either of those guys. That is all.

To be fair, people who actually know about Oregon football (not djduck) were definitely way more excited for Mariota than shough.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

If you’re going to make statements that are overtly doogish at least don’t sound so defensive about it.

No one was more hyped for Shough than Mariota before their first starts. Mariota was the talk of the off season before 2012, I don’t remember so much buzz for a redshirt freshman before that or since.

As an FYI when Mariota was signed there was plenty of hype, but no need for an off season natty when real ones were on the table. Folk stories of Mariota being a 2-star recruit is ESPN’s doing because they had him as such. 247 had Mariota as a 4-star, and Rivals had him as a high 3-star above Manziel, Everett Golson, etc. Many of the people on my board preferred the Texas kid, Super Manziel they called him, but were saying if this kid is as fast as he looks it’s going to be amazing.

You’re welcome to mock people for thinking Shough would be better than Herbert but not for being excited for Shough. He was a blue chip recruit that looked good in the spring game and in mop up duty. You say there’s no proof but people had literally seen him play in blowouts and be 12/15 for 144 yards and 3 TDs while being surprisingly fast for someone that looks like the bully in an 80s teen movie. I saw him in the 2019 spring game and I saw a guy who could definitely play. It’s not like Oregon fans are the ones who created the hype, the national media took one look at him and anointed him the next great Oregon QB. The articles on Shough from back then:

Quarterback Justin Herbert is still elite, throwing a pair of touchdown passes and making zero errors. However, back-up quarterback Tyler Shough stole the show. Oregon fans can breathe easy knowing the Ducks have a reliable backup quarterback.

People had Herbert fatigue. If anyone forgot, he was wildly inconsistent. Everyone knew he had the tools to be an NFL QB but they also saw him miss plays any QB should make. Thank Arroyo, if Moorhead was the OC in 2018 and 2019 it would have been a different story.

You also said that if Huard beats out Morris it’s a sign that he’s good and if Thompson wins Oregon’s job it’s troubling. How the fuck does that make sense? Don’t misunderstand the poont, I never want to see Shough start another game. Shough soughs and was fools gold, but he produced more:

Shough: 223 YPG, 63.6%, 9.3 Y/A, 1.86 TD/ .86 INT, 160.4 rating, 39 YPG rushing 4.1 YPC
    Morris: 224 YPG, 60.9%, 8.3 Y/A, 1 TD / .75 INT, 136.0 rating, 14.25 YPG rushing 3.4 YPC

You’re critiquing quookery over Ty Thompson, in the den of the savior, big dick QB fan club.

I never count on a true freshman QB and cringe when people do. But you have to remember Thompson is Oregon’s highest rated QB recruit ever. Thompson won the national player of the year award, a second state title he carried the team to, had both reputable recruiting sites name him the best QB at the Elite 11, and is already on campus looking like someone put a child’s head on the body of an NFL linebacker. Scouting QBs reliably is nigh impossible, those who have devoted their whole life to it can’t do it consistently. Thompson has the things you want: build, athleticism, and most importantly: the arm talent talent that Shough doesn’t have and is the number one predictor of QB success. He’s stepping into a situation with no clear cut incumbent, an offense that matches his skills, and enough talent around him.

Let people quook about it. They might look dumb, and that’s when you come back and rub their faces in it.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wasn't Herbert's problem that he broke his leg or something in high school and therefore missed the TBS circuit? I remember him being a decent recruit, then getting hurt and falling off a cliff, then the local team gave him an offer sort of thing.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

Wasn't Herbert's problem that he broke his leg or something in high school and therefore missed the TBS circuit? I remember him being a decent recruit, then getting hurt and falling off a cliff, then the local team gave him an offer sort of thing.

You’re correct. Herbert broke his leg junior year.

Herbert barely had any tape before his senior year. Didn’t do any camps, figured he could maybe join his brother at Montana State. He was also a baseball guy, had a fastball in the 90s and went something like 11-1 with two strikeouts per inning.

I can’t even blame Helf if he never offered Herbert, kind of amazing that he did after a month of his senior year. Already had a higher ranked QB in Terry Wilson. Herbert wasn’t even the best QB in the state, that was Elijah Molden’s QB. Threw for 9000 yards with 105 TDs and 4 INTs in two years, ran for another 20 TDs or so, won state player of the year both years, MaxPreps national player of the year. Best high school QB I’ve ever seen, live or on tape - including Kyler Murray. Decided he was too short to play football in college, last I heard he was an All American baseball player for Stanford.

I was pulling shit out of my ass, threw it against the wall, and had that pointed out. That is all.

We? know.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Why even play the game?