Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Robin Hood accts mysteriously looted and

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    That's just the worst. I keep my investments in a couple of accounts. One discount brokerage where I can trade for free; and the other where money is managed. Both big names; the latter for which I pay.

I hate on-line only anything where you get stuck in phone tree loops.

I also use two factor all over the place and, for high balance accounts, I change my PW all the tim.

This is one of the great challenges of our time, and it's only going to worsen.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My trust in the internet fell by about 90% today.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You never know when some startup, especially one whose primary product is a mobile app, was made overlooking critical security. It happens way more often than you think, people compromise in the worst way trying to get to market as fast as possible.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,907
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    haie said:

You never know when some startup, especially one whose primary product is a mobile app, was made overlooking critical security. It happens way more often than you think, people compromise in the worst way trying to get to market as fast as possible.

This story has given me pause, because I've had a Roth IRA and an IRA account in Wealthfront for a good number of years.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited January 2021
    haie said:

Yeah the more I learn the more I sit there thinking "this company probably has no fucking clue"

I get the feeling it's a bunch of mobile devs and front end dudes who just throw some shit up and aws and it looks good so fuck it. When the going gets tough just get a new job.

Spending weeks and months hardening a system with no obvious benefit to corporate execs gets no brownie points

Promotion based architecture
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,262
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

haie said:

Yeah the more I learn the more I sit there thinking "this company probably has no fucking clue"

I get the feeling it's a bunch of mobile devs and front end dudes who just throw some shit up and aws and it looks good so fuck it. When the going gets tough just get a new job.

Spending weeks and months hardening a system with no obvious benefit to corporate execs gets no brownie points

That’s a great fucking phrase
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    haie said:

Your industry moves at warp speed. No surprise there. First to market, sell and move on to the next thing. Back in the day, I remember working on deals with true start-ups ... there was one guy and his buddy who would coble these software applications together on a shoe string and walk away with 9 or 10 mill. for a product that felt like a well-conceived spreadsheet. I would marvel at what companies would pay for these things and, not surprisingly, you'd never hear about the product again.

Microsoft did a lot of that acquisition just to kill, but other PE would buy it and I'd wonder if the fund investors ever made any money on these deals. The products and technology seemed so ... I don't ... unimpressive.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Your industry moves at warp speed. No surprise there. First to market, sell and move on to the next thing. Back in the day, I remember working on deals with true start-ups ... there was one guy and his buddy who would coble these software applications together on a shoe string and walk away with 9 or 10 mill. for a product that felt like a well-conceived spreadsheet. I would marvel at what companies would pay for these things and, not surprisingly, you'd never hear about the product again.

Microsoft did a lot of that acquisition just to kill, but other PE would buy it and I'd wonder if the fund investors ever made any money on these deals. The products and technology seemed so ... I don't ... unimpressive.
    lol there are so many order managers in e commerce that are absolute piles of shit that I would classify as pretty spreadsheet wrappers that functionally do nothing different. And they all appear to be really successful.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

My biggest pet peave is web devs promoting themselves as 'full stack' when they've only ever hooked up a backend that was self managed with a simple schema. Didn't have to give a shit about security, db tuning, schema design, system architecture, nothing.

Like, that's a web developer and it's not easy to be one of those, but it's a flat out lie to market yourself on GitHub/Twitter/LinkedIn as "full stack"
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    haie said:

haie said:

My biggest pet peave is web devs promoting themselves as 'full stack' when they've only ever hooked up a backend that was self managed with a simple schema. Didn't have to give a shit about security, db tuning, schema design, system architecture, nothing.

Like, that's a web developer and it's not easy to be one of those, but it's a flat out lie to market yourself on GitHub/Twitter/LinkedIn as "full stack"
    I am into all that stuff lol. Ive been fiddling with all these new reverse proxies this weekend.

It also makes me realize that everyone is really into overcomplicating shit
  • Options
    edited January 2021

haie said:

haie said:

I am into all that stuff lol. Ive been fdiddling with all these new reverse proxies this weekend.

FTFY
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

I am into all that stuff lol. Ive been fiddling with all these new reverse proxies this weekend.

It's about swinging your e-peen instead of what it should be about: making a stable product to make yourself money, and make others money who utilize and integrate with your platform.
  • Options
    lol new plan -
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

It's about swinging your e-peen instead of what it should be about: making a stable product to make yourself money, and make others money who utilize and integrate with your platform.
    Maybe if Trump came out in favor of microservices everyone would do better lol
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    haie said:

I was told that there would be no epeen measuring on this sub.