Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Greatest American General of All Time?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

The Greatest American General of All Time? 37 votes

Worshington
24%
DerekJohnsonFire_Marshall_Billdncbiak1Bad_MotherDuckerpawzFireCohenjhfstyle24RDR 9 votes
Old Hickory
0%
Grant
16%
RaceBannonspudenMiley_CyrusDoog_de_JourYellowSnowEdwin_Bambino 6 votes
Sherman
16%
Mad_SonYouKnowItalumni94huskyhooliganIPukeOregonGrellowBearsWiin 6 votes
Lee
0%
Stonewall Jackson
2%
Swaye 1 vote
Ike
13%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverHFNYGreenRiverGatorzFishpo31TheRoarOfTheCrowd 5 votes
MacArthur
2%
whlinder 1 vote
Patton
21%
Dawgtona79smoothdawgcreepycougTequillaDude61LebamDawgJoeEDangerouslyLostDoogReward 8 votes
Ridgeway
2%
HHusky 1 vote

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant
    Hard to go against the Father of the country but Grant helped save it
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant

Washington’s greatest achievement as a general was keeping an Army in the field which alone makes him one of the greatest figures in history. But his greatest triumph over the Brits took a lot of luck and French help.

Grant to your point, pretty much single handed saved the Union and was both a brilliant tactical general and master grand strategist. Lee was former, but not the later.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant
    Honorable mentions...

Phil Sheridan
    Winfield Scott
    Omar Bradley
    Black Jack Pershing
    Storming Norman
    Zachary Taylor
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Patton
    Patton was the definition of talking shit and his boys backing it up
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Worshington
    Mad_Son said:

Write in for the sweatpants general.

@koopdog
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,512
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Ike
    biak1 said:

Washington dammit. The other guys really just had to not fuck things up and they’d eventually win with manpower/materiel/resource advantages.

As college football shows us you still get credit for not fucking things up. But GW won independence and popped off.

True though someone like Ike had much more complicated logistics and headaches of humans (such as Montgomery and De Gaulle). Eisenhower's brilliance was also in taking action while not feeling the need to show off tactical genius. He wasn't afraid to sack under-performing lower generals either.

Still I think you're right in that GW's odds of success were so low yet he miraculously found a way to get the job done strategically and tactically.

Grant was excellent too, GW and he were both considered the best horsemen of their respective times.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,676
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Worshington
    The top 3 became POTUS rather easily.

1. Worshington
    2. Ike
    3. Grant

the rest ...

5. Profit
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,809
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021
    According to this, it’s Lee.
    Grant.

My vote is for General Motors or General Mills.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,809
    Swaye's Wigwam

Honorable mentions...

Phil Sheridan
    Winfield Scott
    Omar Bradley
    Black Jack Pershing
    Storming Norman
    Zachary Taylor

Nathanael Greene.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

According to this, it’s Lee.
    Grant.

My vote is for General Motors or General Mills.

General Unrest making a push.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    Stonewall Jackson
    You people are mostly idiots. I'm right, because I'm usually right.

Ridgeway is a close second.
    Founders Club
    Stonewall Jackson

Swaye said:

You people are mostly idiots. I'm right, because I'm usually right.

Ridgeway is a close second.

Jackson was brilliant at getting his men to fight in places where his opponents didn’t think he could get to. Compared to the top 3 though, he really only had to deal with tactical considerations. As I went through this list, I went back and forth between Jackson, Grant and Ike.
    That was really my consideration - tactical mastery of warfare. By that measure, I think Jackson is hands down the best. I will grant there are other measures - adeptness at managing a war effort (Ike and Grant), instilling fighting spirit and a will to win (Washington), etc. So, kind of depends on what measure you use to evaluate the choices. For sheer kick ass tactical battle planning, Stonewall has no American equal, though Ridgways work with the 82'nd Airborne in WWII and halting the Chinese offensive in Korea is legendary shit.
    Founders Club
    Stonewall Jackson

Washington’s greatest achievement as a general was keeping an Army in the field which alone makes him one of the greatest figures in history. But his greatest triumph over the Brits took a lot of luck and French help.

Grant to your point, pretty much single handed saved the Union and was both a brilliant tactical general and master grand strategist. Lee was former, but not the later.
    I never find this to be a fair comparison. Lee seems to not be a grand strategist, but Lee had no real industry supporting him, no Navy to support his field positions, and no railroad of any note to support him from land. I had a lecturer at the National War College once tell me "Lee's grand strategy WAS tactical mastery of specific battles and campaigns." He had no choice. He knew he could not win a long sustained strategic war. It was a "be better than the other guy for like 2 years and kill their will to win, or it's over" strategy.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Grant
    Swaye said:

I never find this to be a fair comparison. Lee seems to not be a grand strategist, but Lee had no real industry supporting him, no Navy to support his field positions, and no railroad of any note to support him from land. I had a lecturer at the National War College once tell me "Lee's grand strategy WAS tactical mastery of specific battles and campaigns." He had no choice. He knew he could not win a long sustained strategic war. It was a "be better than the other guy for like 2 years and kill their will to win, or it's over" strategy.
    Lee’s grand strategy of tactical victories worked until it didn’t. Ultimately his jerb was to keep a confederate army in the field until the north lost the political will. He got fucking greedy after Chancellorsville and thought he was invincible and then bet the house at Gettysburg. Major blunder here. Following that he got caught in Grant’s meat grinder and his army withered away.

I do give Lee a tremendous amount of credit for doing the right thing at the end which was to surrender and not go full on VC the hills of Appalachia.