Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tyler Shough has entered the transfer portal.

13»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    animate said:

animate said:

People forget that sports illustrated had a mock game with washington getting a chance at a game winning field goal at close range ...

At that time SI was the sports rag of choice ...

Wow! Can’t believe I’ve never heard about this.
    not sure if serious ... but i'll bite.

basically, SI thought that UW was the better team and stopped just short of declaring a victor in a mythological game.

'Canes fans were not happy of course.
    JFC. Read the room.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

animate said:

animate said:

People forget that sports illustrated had a mock game with washington getting a chance at a game winning field goal at close range ...

At that time SI was the sports rag of choice ...

Wow! Can’t believe I’ve never heard about this.
    not sure if serious ... but i'll bite.

basically, SI thought that UW was the better team and stopped just short of declaring a victor in a mythological game.

'Canes fans were not happy of course.
    The SI title is just a legitimate as the polls.

Meaning it’s a split title and the Hurricanes would have whooped the Dawgs. I said so, so it’s true.
    No. The polls were the legitimate mechanism of the day. The magazine that would give Frank Deford 12 pages for a piece on fly fishing was the same magazine that published a cover issue that Miami should drop football. They didn't go through the NCAA website and see the numerous schools, Washington included, with just as many violations, and suggest they drop football. They didn't suggest Barry Switzer's 1980s Oklahoma Sooners or 1990s Nebraska Cornholers, about as outlaw as it gets, drop football.

SI had a boner for Miami, as did a lot of publications. The Doog is forgetting to mention that as he tries to uphold it as if it's evidence of anything. Desperate. One title will do that.

The facts are simple: Miami humiliated Notre Dame several times in a legendary and heated home and home series back around that time. People didn't like it. Today, nothing Miami did would even be noticed. But Miami was nouveau riche then and screamed inner city urban, and the mainstream didn't like them for those very reasons. Period. It's beyond dispute.

So take the Doog's reference to that POS publication with a Yuge grain of salt. And laugh at it as do I.