Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Where have all the dive bars gone?

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
This is a spin off from @YellowSnow’s poast about the closing of the Tug Tavern (RIP).

The West Seattle blog article mentioned Poggies in the junction. It’s still a dive but for how long can it survive? It’s in some prime real estate.

I think West Seattle still has the Yen Wore and possibly the Admiral Pub but longtime dives like the Alki Tavern, Ralph and Sally’s and now the Tug are lost to history. Fuck, even the lounge at the Maharaja got renovated and is no longer a seedy looking place.

Is there a point to this thread other than me trying to remember some of the snotty dive bars I’ve been to in west Seattle? Probably not.

What local dive bars are still kicking in Seattle?

Comments

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    damn - I did not realize the impact I would have by moving away from Seattle...

My liver thanks me
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its cheaper to drink at home

Now safer too
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Is Linda's on Capitol Hill still around?

Lake City Way has grimy shitholes, but they are probably all out of business after this COVID bs.

Great spot in Purdy called Local Boys. Chinsane beer selection and 40 taps.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Welcome to Biden's Amerikkka
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

Now safer too

It's vastly cheaper to drink at home. The service is far better as is the music.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I figured a few decades ago that I had used up my white drunk driving privilege
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Although Seattle was great in the 80s

Pioneer Square
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    When I lived in Greenwood, we found a few to hang at...Korthaus (gone), Little Red Hen, Molly McGuire's, Hattie's. Used to go to Harvey's on 99, but it was getting pretty dicey by the time we moved. The last (legit) one I was in was the Bethel Tavern, to see a buddy blow harp a few years ago...I stood out like a sore thumb, in a Tommy Bahama shirt, shorts and flip-flops, drinking IPA (I'm part of the problem), and everyone else was in Carhartts, boots, and suspenders drinking Rainier tall boys.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

When I lived in Greenwood, we found a few to hang at...Korthaus (gone), Little Red Hen, Molly McGuire's, Hattie's. Used to go to Harvey's on 99, but it was getting pretty dicey by the time we moved. The last (legit) one I was in was the Bethel Tavern, to see a buddy blow harp a few years ago...I stood out like a sore thumb, in a Tommy Bahama shirt, shorts and flip-flops, drinking IPA (I'm part of the problem), and everyone else was in Carhartts, boots, and suspenders drinking Rainier tall boys.

I fear the Little Red Hen's days are numbered. The Green Lake gentrification is nearly complete. I always had a love / hate relationship with the place. Loved the cheap beer and great live cuntry music. But I can't dance and therefore had no game in that venue.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    There are no dive bars. Only hipster gin bars that are owned by a large chain.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659

Now safer too

It's vastly cheaper to drink at home. The service is far better as is the music.
    Except that fucking faggot Jay Inslee says that's not allowable now in his dictatorship.

Swaye's Wigwam

Now safer too

Except that fucking faggot Jay Inslee says that's not allowable now in his dictatorship.

Inslee isn't relevant to the demise of the dive bar.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Now safer too

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659

Now safer too

I meant Inslee that fucking faggot disallowed cheaper to drink at home with frens.

That fucking faggot.

Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021

Now safer too

While the Duchess isn't technically a "dive bar" I can remember swilling $3.00 pitchers of "Husky" beer and chain smoking cigs 20 years ago. Not a fancy bottle of liquor on the shelf to be seen. That was 20 years ago. I like reeking of smoke and spilt beer when I leave a "divey" bar.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    I liked the "Hilltop" on top of Queen Anne. Place where coveralled men would show up after being paid in cash. They had Budweiser, Rainier and Brew 66 on tap. That's it. Good Jukebox, and the pool table broke, so it was free for a while. Played my best pool ever there, as a poor college kid being challenged by older guy "free beer to the winner" I made some amazing shots.
    I like the $1.50 pitchers of Hamms at Dante's also. Loved the air hockey. Not sure if that's a dive bar or a college bar.
    Went to a few places around the Kingdom back in the day, I think they all went away and are Condos now.

Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

I liked the "Hilltop" on top of Queen Anne. Place where coveralled men would show up after being paid in cash. They had Budweiser, Rainier and Brew 66 on tap. That's it. Good Jukebox, and the pool table broke, so it was free for a while. Played my best pool ever there, as a poor college kid being challenged by older guy "free beer to the winner" I made some amazing shots.
    I like the $1.50 pitchers of Hamms at Dante's also. Loved the air hockey. Not sure if that's a dive bar or a college bar.
    Went to a few places around the Kingdom back in the day, I think they all went away and are Condos now.

Shit I forgot Targy’s on QA. All timer.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not entirely related but it sucks balls the College Inn closed down. Most unique spot on the Ave and all I need is Mac and Jacks on tap.