Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PFF: Oregon vs Washington vs USC – Offense Analysis

I wanted to take a look at how PFF graded the top contenders for the Pac 12 next year. I will go position by position. I am only going to highlight returning players. I posted this on BDTW too, but thought some folks here might be interested.

QB:

Washington: Dylan Morris – #3 overall QB in Pac12. #1 when you just look at just Passing as graded by PFF.

Oregon: Tyler Shough – #11, barely behind Bentley for the title of worst QB in the Pac 12. If you look at just passing Shough is third worst.

USC: Kedon Slovis – #4 overall, #3 passing.

Note: Davis Mills was the 2nd highest graded.. our loss to Stanford is going to look a lot worse when Mills is a 1st rounder. He is getting a LOT of buzz right now as one of the most accurate QBs in college football.

RB- Ignoring snap limits here, too complicated for me to sort.

Washington:
– McGrew – #13 in Pac 12
– Pleasent- #24
– Davis – #25
– Rest are worst than #30

Oregon:
– Travis Dye – #7
– Verdell #17

USC
– Malepai #11

OT – Including snap limits

Washington:
– Curne – #3 overall in Pac 12
– Kirkland – #5
– Note: If I didnt include snap limits, Luciano is the #1 graded OL in the Pac 12. Limited snaps tho.

Oregon:
– Jones – #10
– Sala – #12
– Moore – #20 out of 25 (he is the starter next year I believe, sala inside)

USC
– McKenzie – #21

OG – Including snap lmits

Washington
– Bainivalu – #2 in Pac 12
– Ale – #3

Oregon
– Walk – #5
– Bass – #9

USC
– Voorhees – #18

Center:

Washington
– Wattenberg – #5 in Pac 12

Oregon
– Forsyth – #2

USC
– Neilon – #11

TE not including snap limits

Washington:
– Otton – #1
– Westover – #11
– Redman – #13

Oregon
– DJ Johnson – #8, but truly horrific blocking grades. BAD.

USC – does it matter? Their TEs suck.

WR not including snap limits

Washington
– Ty Jones – #15 in Pac 12
– Bynum – #19
– Nacua – #26
– Rest are below 30

Oregon
– Williams – #11
– Pittman – #22
– Rest are below 30

USC
– London – #13
– Vaugns and Amon Ra were high but I think both are gone.

So basically we dominate in the OL, TE, and have the best QB according to PFF. I will follow up with defense when I get a chance.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Thank you for the effort. I found it interesting.
  • dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    betadawg said:

I wanted to take a look at how PFF graded the top contenders for the Pac 12 next year. I will go position by position. I am only going to highlight returning players. I posted this on BDTW too, but thought some folks here might be interested.

QB:

Washington: Dylan Morris – #3 overall QB in Pac12. #1 when you just look at just Passing as graded by PFF.

Oregon: Tyler Shough – #11, barely behind Bentley for the title of worst QB in the Pac 12. If you look at just passing Shough is third worst.

Note: Davis Mills was the 2nd highest graded.. our loss to Stanford is going to look a lot worse when Mills is a 1st rounder. He is getting a LOT of buzz right now as one of the most accurate QBs in college football.

Washington:
    – McGrew – #13 in Pac 12
    – Pleasent- #24
    – Davis – #25

Oregon:
    – Travis Dye – #7
    – Verdell #17

USC
    – Malepai #11

Washington:
    – Kirkland – #5
    – Note: If I didnt include snap limits, Luciano is the #1 graded OL in the Pac 12. Limited snaps tho.

Oregon:
    – Jones – #10
    – Sala – #12

USC
    – McKenzie – #21

Washington
    – Ale – #3

Oregon
    – Walk – #5
    – Bass – #9

USC
    – Voorhees – #18

Center:

Washington

Oregon
    – Forsyth – #2

USC
    – Neilon – #11

Washington:
    – Otton – #1
    – Westover – #11
    – Redman – #13

Oregon

Washington
    – Bynum – #19
    – Nacua – #26
    – Rest are below 30

Oregon
    – Williams – #11
    – Pittman – #22
    – Rest are below 30

USC
    – London – #13

So basically we dominate in the OL, TE, and have the best QB according to PFF. I will follow up with defense when I get a chance.

You’d think with a top tier OL, QB, and TE our offense wouldn’t have been so poor in a comically bad Pac-12. Think again!
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dawgs206 said:

betadawg said:

QB:

Washington:
    – McGrew – #13 in Pac 12
    – Pleasent- #24
    – Davis – #25

Oregon:
    – Travis Dye – #7
    – Verdell #17

USC
    – Malepai #11

Washington:
    – Kirkland – #5

Oregon:
    – Jones – #10
    – Sala – #12

USC
    – McKenzie – #21

Washington
    – Ale – #3

Oregon
    – Walk – #5
    – Bass – #9

USC
    – Voorhees – #18

Center:

Washington

Oregon
    – Forsyth – #2

USC
    – Neilon – #11

Washington:
    – Otton – #1
    – Westover – #11
    – Redman – #13

Oregon

Washington
    – Bynum – #19
    – Nacua – #26
    – Rest are below 30

Oregon
    – Williams – #11
    – Pittman – #22
    – Rest are below 30

USC
    – London – #13

You’d think with a top tier OL, QB, and TE our offense wouldn’t have been so poor in a comically bad Pac-12. Think again!
    Shit RB and WR play even things out.

I think the WRs will be better next year due to Rome and McMillan having a year under their belts. Im close to writing off Puka because he's so injury prone. It would be nice to see him play a whole season.

I have a feeling RB will be the same mess it was last year. Crowded room of JAGs. Maybe Sunday or Adams makes a splash.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There's a lot to not like about PFF but, barring injuries or something big, there should be major concern for Lake and company if they can't win the shit show that is the Pac-12 next year. The branging' the SEC to the West Coast "Pac-12 champion" got TKOd by Iowa State after closing with losses to the Beav and Cal and has major questions at QB. USC, who lost to said SEC to the West Coast champ kind easily in the championship was just gutted by early entries to the draft and wasn't even that good in 2019, plus Clay Helton. The team I was actually kind of worried about who legit could have been the best in the conference at the end of the season, Stanford, took a huge blow losing the vastly-underrated Davis Mills early to the draft.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    It's promising, mostly because UW has everyone coming back on offense. It would be nice if a stud RB emerged or at least a Newton / McGrew combo being better than ever. Cam Davis seems close and what about Adams Jr?

Speaking of RBs, do USC or Oregon have any guys leaving there?

I'm not sure Davis Mills was underrated, he was just hurt a lot.

Will the first road start of Morris' career be @ Michigan in the 2nd week of the season? My DOOG levels are trending higher thinking about a more physical front 7 and ZTF / Bowman / Smalls / Latu flying around.

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    You're assuming Shough is Oregon's starting quarterback next year. That is highly doubtful. It's either Anthony Brown or Ty Thompson
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dawgs206 said:

betadawg said:

QB:

Washington:
    – McGrew – #13 in Pac 12
    – Pleasent- #24
    – Davis – #25

Oregon:
    – Travis Dye – #7
    – Verdell #17

USC
    – Malepai #11

Washington:
    – Kirkland – #5

Oregon:
    – Jones – #10
    – Sala – #12

USC
    – McKenzie – #21

Washington
    – Ale – #3

Oregon
    – Walk – #5
    – Bass – #9

USC
    – Voorhees – #18

Center:

Washington

Oregon
    – Forsyth – #2

USC
    – Neilon – #11

Washington:
    – Otton – #1
    – Westover – #11
    – Redman – #13

Oregon

Washington
    – Bynum – #19
    – Nacua – #26
    – Rest are below 30

Oregon
    – Williams – #11
    – Pittman – #22
    – Rest are below 30

USC
    – London – #13

Shit RB and WR play even things out.

I think the WRs will be better next year due to Rome and McMillan having a year under their belts. Im close to writing off Puka because he's so injury prone. It would be nice to see him play a whole season.

I have a feeling RB will be the same mess it was last year. Crowded room of JAGs. Maybe Sunday or Adams makes a splash.
    I don't buy Worshington's receivers are that bad. I don't buy that Dylan Morris is the best QB in the Pac-12 either. I think the fundamental flaw PFF has with grades is that they're bad at telling what's on the QB and what's on the receiver. i.e. PFF will tell you that Mac Jones is the highest graded quarterback in college football. But a mannequin at Dick’s Sporting Goods wouldn't look like a bad quarterback throwing the ball to Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. Some team is going to use a high-round pick on Jones and regret it almost immediately because the arm strength isn't there.

The same concept is true with Kedon Slovis and Amon-Ra St. Brown and Tyler Vaughns. The same was true of Brownshorts and Ross/Pettis. The same might be true of Davis Mills and Simi Fehoko. Good receivers hide a lot of warts of mediocre quarterbacks in PFF Land. Bad receivers tend to make them show worse.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Brown or Thompson would still be a major question mark at QB. Brown was nice in a few appearances but that's way different than being a starting QB every down and clearly Shough beat him out in practice. Starting a true freshman would be a major question too no matter how highly rated. UW with Huard at least has a decent set up where if Huard wins the job over Morris it shows he's probably pretty good because Morris showed well in 2020. Thompson also seems a lot like Shough to me in a guy who looked like a mid-four star type guy with some skills who gets a lot of hype out of the Oregon camp/fans.
    Swaye's Wigwam

You're assuming Shough is Oregon's starting quarterback next year. That is highly doubtful. It's either Anthony Brown or Ty Thompson

This sounds familiar. Oregon fans were touting Shough as being better than Herbert a year ago.
    The Shough evolution has been one of the most-entertaining Pac-12 cycles I've ever seen. Going into the season Shough was definitely better than Herbert and possibly better than Mariota and now he's shown to at least be pretty questionable as a redshirt sophomore and now it's onto the next guys. The Sewell evolution was similar where he was the greatest offensive lineman in history but as soon as he opted out the offensive line was still somehow going to be just as good without him.

If there are football gods, Oregon might have some bad luck with QBs coming up after having two guys they didn't really want in Mariota and Herbert turn into what they became.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fife is better than Joey is how the legend began

This sounds familiar. Oregon fans were touting Shough as being better than Herbert a year ago.
    Kind of like you guys and Hop?
  • DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

That is a lie

• DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

The Shough evolution has been one of the most-entertaining Pac-12 cycles I've ever seen. Going into the season Shough was definitely better than Herbert and possibly better than Mariota and now he's shown to at least be pretty questionable as a redshirt sophomore and now it's onto the next guys. The Sewell evolution was similar where he was the greatest offensive lineman in history but as soon as he opted out the offensive line was still somehow going to be just as good without him.

If there are football gods, Oregon might have some bad luck with QBs coming up after having two guys they didn't really want in Mariota and Herbert turn into what they became.

This is bullshit. Oregon wanted both Mariota and Herbert. Mariota wanted to go to Washington and YOU guys didn’t want him. Get your damned facts straight before you spew a bunch of ignorant bull.

• QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,061
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    DJDuck said:

This is bullshit. Oregon wanted both Mariota and Herbert. Mariota wanted to go to Washington and YOU guys didn’t want him. Get your damned facts straight before you spew a bunch of ignorant bull.

You sound familiar...

Oregon also had Johnny Manziel committed. When he decommitted the Ducks worked to keep Mariota. Manziel instead of Mariota would have been fine.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Brown or Thompson would still be a major question mark at QB. Brown was nice in a few appearances but that's way different than being a starting QB every down and clearly Shough beat him out in practice. Starting a true freshman would be a major question too no matter how highly rated. UW with Huard at least has a decent set up where if Huard wins the job over Morris it shows he's probably pretty good because Morris showed well in 2020. Thompson also seems a lot like Shough to me in a guy who looked like a mid-four star type guy with some skills who gets a lot of hype out of the Oregon camp/fans.

Sounds dangerously similar to another poster who hung around here .... and his student.