Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Most tragic (early) couch sale in ROCK music history?

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Buddy Holly

Change my vote to Michael Hutchence.

Anybody who hung themselves whacking off when they could have been banging Kylie Minogue is a goddamned Greek tragedy.

Maybe he needed a new sensation. Did you ever think of that @PurpleThrobber ?
    It was more the devil inside.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Jimi Hendrix

If you died doing some pussy shit like suicide, getting shot (like a BITCH) or a plane crash, you don’t deserve to be on this list. HTH.

Shut up ese. We? Don’t like you anymore.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021
    Duane Allman

Anybody who hung themselves whacking off when they could have been banging Kylie Minogue is a goddamned Greek tragedy.

You surprise me throbber. If I had been in his shoes, every moment I wasn't banging her I would be thinking about banging her and there would be a fair amount of jerking going on. I'm not saying it would be right or a good use of "resources", but it would happen.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Bradley Nowell for my tastes. His legacy lives on in t-shirts you can buy at Walmart.

Jimi. Kurt Cobain. Freddie Mercury, if that counts. GG Allin for the entertainment value.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    Ronnie Van Zandt
    FREEEEBBBBIIIIIRRRRRDDDDDDDDD!

Also, shout out to Otis Redding! Gonna go add him to the other thread...
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    Buddy Holly

I give Hutchence a break compared to a lot of the other self-inflicted deaths.
    Dude got serious brain damage and fractured skull from an assault in 1992, and also lost his sense of taste and smell (insert COVID joke).
    He was in the middle of 4 years with Helena Christensen (the replacement for Minogue) at the time.
    Helena in that 1991-1995 period was fucking incredible.
    Then in 1996 the dickbag from Oasis called Hutchence a has-been while Michael was presenting them with an award.
    Depression, dealing with anger and violent outbursts ever since his assault, fighting with Paula Yates, trying to see his kid, humiliated on TV, not getting to sex up Helena anymore, etc.
    I mean, every man has his breaking point

Tragic, but the man did OK:

brb, need to go hang myself.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Ronnie Van Zandt
    Kylie is still ballin out at 50. This bitch is immortal.

• LaocoönLaocoön Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 529
    Founders Club
    Buddy Holly
    RIP - Dave “Stage” Williams
    Died @ 30 of heart failure while asleep in the band’s tour bus.

https://youtu.be/04F4xlWSFh0
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited January 2021
    Jimi Hendrix
    Racist pole is clearly the only reason a group who stocks teen bois wouldn't mourn the loss of an 18 year old star.

*correction, 17 year old!
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Duane Allman

I give Hutchence a break compared to a lot of the other self-inflicted deaths.
    Dude got serious brain damage and fractured skull from an assault in 1992, and also lost his sense of taste and smell (insert COVID joke).
    He was in the middle of 4 years with Helena Christensen (the replacement for Minogue) at the time.
    Helena in that 1991-1995 period was fucking incredible.
    Then in 1996 the dickbag from Oasis called Hutchence a has-been while Michael was presenting them with an award.
    Depression, dealing with anger and violent outbursts ever since his assault, fighting with Paula Yates, trying to see his kid, humiliated on TV, not getting to sex up Helena anymore, etc.
    I mean, every man has his breaking point

Tragic, but the man did OK:

Helena Christensen is my favorite 90s model.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jimi Hendrix
    dnc said:

This should be a run-off between Hendrix and Morrison. With all due respect to Bon Scott.

John Lennon ... I've never been able to there with the Beattles. And Lennon was obnoxious and unlikable.

I tend to agree. Hendrix and Morrison both were still at their artistic peak in 1970/71 and had a number of good years left in them. The last Doors album was damn near as good as the first.

Bon Scott on Back in Black would have been epic, but no offense to my homey @dflea I think AC DC takes one trick pony formula as far as they can with or without Bon by about 1981.

Cobain is probably my 3rd place here.

Lennon and Elvis both could have sold out stadiums in the 80s and a Beatles reunion could have been cool, but I don't know how much artistic juice they had left in the tank. Especially Elvis.

Staley is only here to prevent @dnc bullying.
    Staley was more a tragic life than tragic death. I think the biggest surprise when he passed was that he had made it that long. The writing was on the wall for a long tim.
    I also would say AiC was past it's golden era by then as well.
    Founders Club
    Buddy Holly
    dnc said:

After Kurt I’d nominate Andy Wood for the grunge division

Ben McMillan, lead singer of Gruntruck & Skin Yard, died way too young from complications related to diabetes. Super cool and really nice dude! Caught a lot of their shows back in the early 90’s.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you died doing some pussy shit like suicide, getting shot (like a BITCH) or a plane crash, you don’t deserve to be on this list. HTH.

Shut up ese. We? Don’t like you anymore.
    NOC what you think about rock and roll, Ricky Martin. Go shove a maraca in your boyfren Mario’s loser ass.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Buddy Holly
    Laocoön said:

dnc said:

Ben McMillan, lead singer of Gruntruck & Skin Yard, died way too young from complications related to diabetes. Super cool and really nice dude! Caught a lot of their shows back in the early 90’s.
    Shoutout to Grunttruck
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Buddy Holly
    Laocoön said:

dnc said:

I feel like because they opened for multiple bigger bands and threw in smaller free shows here and there I might have seen Screaming Trees, Gruntruck, and Sweet Water more than anyone else live. I dunno, it's at least close.
    Good times.
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    Buddy Holly

Laocoön said:

dnc said:

Shoutout to Grunttruck
    The ultimate shoutout!
    https://youtu.be/d2_94Dw6eqs