Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Buckeyes are pretty close to Clemson

Should have could have won last year

But Dabo outcoached Day
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Of course they matter. Think about any major program making any kind of run, and the correlation of having a lot of players excel in the NFL during and after that run is pretty strong.

Of course, inadequate coaching can and often does take that talent and squander it, or underachieve with it.

But even with great coaching, you can only get so far with scheme and trickeration. Eventually, the cream rises. The Peach Bowl is a good example. I'm not convinced Kirby is a great HC, Cincy came out punching, Georgia was flat as fuck and dead on the sidelines. And then the physical disparities start to assert themselves.

Not always. But 9 / 10ths of the tim.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam

But Dabo outcoached Day

Clemson needs to level up to tOSU

It looked like Night and Day out there from last year. If Ryan Day can coach welcome to the next dynasty

I like the Bucks over Bama
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

Of course they matter. Think about any major program making any kind of run, and the correlation of having a lot of players excel in the NFL during and after that run is pretty strong.

Of course, inadequate coaching can and often does take that talent and squander it, or underachieve with it.

But even with great coaching, you can only get so far with scheme and trickeration. Eventually, the cream rises. The Peach Bowl is a good example. I'm not convinced Kirby is a great HC, Cincy came out punching, Georgia was flat as fuck and dead on the sidelines. And then the physical disparities start to assert themselves.

Cincy had a chance and gambled with that pass play on 3rd and 2. Hit that and you’re a hero. Miss and give it back to Georgia without bleeding the clock.
    You like to refer to Cincinnati as Cincy. It's what you like to do.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Cincy had a chance and gambled with that pass play on 3rd and 2. Hit that and you’re a hero. Miss and give it back to Georgia without bleeding the clock.
    @bearcats6969 Thoughts?
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

But Dabo outcoached Day

It looked like Night and Day out there from last year. If Ryan Day can coach welcome to the next dynasty

Thought I read yesterday Buckeyes had 15 more 4 starts and 5 more 5 stars than Clemson 1-85.

Amazingly on some level it looked like that last night.

• Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

But Dabo outcoached Day

Little known fact, a lot of Buckeye fans were sick of Urban because he played a lot of poor passing QBs. There was considerable optimism when Day was hired because he would run better passing concepts and not just play Terrell Pryor and Braxton Miller types.
    godawgst said:

But Dabo outcoached Day

Thought I read yesterday Buckeyes had 15 more 4 starts and 5 more 5 stars than Clemson 1-85.

Amazingly on some level it looked like that last night.

If Saban retires and if Dabo has peaked, Ohio St. is set for a good run. Or an even better run.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alabama: 12 5-stars, 58 4-stars
    Ohio State: 14 5-stars, 52 4-stars
    Clemson: 11 5-stars, 35 4-stars
    Notre Dame: 2 5-stars, 44 4-stars

Projections for 2021 with known departures and before additional changes, +\-
    Oregon: 4 5-stars, 43 4-stars
    USC: 2 5-stars, 42 4-stars
    Washington: 2 5-stars, 37 4-stars

Those rosters are theoretically good enough to compete for the third or fourth playoff spot to get blown out by Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, or Georgia.

The Big Ten or Big-12 won’t have three teams that talented, and the ACC will be close with Miami and UNC. But the national narrative will once again be about how shitty the Pac-12 is. The conference’s other problem is that recruits in the West or JuCo or wherever the fuck Wittingham and Wilcox find their players are underrated. The conference will fuck over a good team with: shitty reffing, a Thursday night trip to the state of Arizona, or some other thing that Ohio State or Oklahoma won’t have to deal with. And the cycle will continue.

The Clemson, tOSU, and Alabama dynasties are going to be damn tough for anyone else to beat in the CFP until their excellent coaches retire or depart for other programs. I think the only way a UW, UO or USC can win a CFP game is with the generational talent at QB. Mariota was that, although they didn't get it done in the end against Buck. Browning was not.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Those rosters are theoretically good enough to compete for the third or fourth playoff spot to get blown out by Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, or Georgia.

The Big Ten or Big-12 won’t have three teams that talented, and the ACC will be close with Miami and UNC. But the national narrative will once again be about how shitty the Pac-12 is. The conference’s other problem is that recruits in the West or JuCo or wherever the fuck Wittingham and Wilcox find their players are underrated. The conference will fuck over a good team with: shitty reffing, a Thursday night trip to the state of Arizona, or some other thing that Ohio State or Oklahoma won’t have to deal with. And the cycle will continue.

How does USC only have two five stars, that is just chinsane to me.

Clay Helton forever!
    All my homies love Clay Helton.

Five stars leaving: Amon Ra and Warren Gs son to the draft, Pala Gratuity (transfer out), Stephen Carr (?)

Remaining: Bruh McCoy

Incoming: Korey Foreman

I don’t know what Korey Foreman was thinking, I can only assume that Clay Helton lied to him and told him that Urban Meyer would be his actual coach. Or he gave him the sales pitch on how good Drake Jackson was as a freshman and Clay had him switch positions to get much worse; he can do that for him too. Maybe he even went for the big guns and taped Foreman to the back of a USC jersey or started a canned food drive, we’ll never know.

It’s not a bad class, but I have never seen a 2-2-7 defense. I think Clay is going for the ol’ Willie Taggart artificially inflate the recruiting ranking with DBs and WRs to make himself look better strategy. I wanted Ceyair Wright, thought Oregon had a chance after he took a visit last month to walk around campus - but Feld flexing and yelling through FaceTime isn’t as effective.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021

The Clemson, tOSU, and Alabama dynasties are going to be damn tough for anyone else to beat in the CFP until their excellent coaches retire or depart for other programs. I think the only way a UW, UO or USC can win a CFP game is with the generational talent at QB. Mariota was that, although they didn't get it done in the end against Buck. Browning was not.
    I think we'll get a little more parity once the playoffs expand. In the current setup, recruits feel like they have to go to Bama, Ohio State, or Clemson to have a chance to play in the playoffs. Once conference champions get an auto bid, kids will see that they can play in the playoffs anywhere. It may take time to feel that effect, but I'm doogin' that we'll get a little more parity down the road.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

How does USC only have two five stars, that is just chinsane to me.

Clay Helton forever!
    All my homies love Clay Helton.

Five stars leaving: Amon Ra and Warren Gs son to the draft, Pala Gratuity (transfer out), Stephen Carr (?)

Remaining: Bruh McCoy

Incoming: Korey Foreman

I don’t know what Korey Foreman was thinking, I can only assume that Clay Helton lied to him and told him that Urban Meyer would be his actual coach. Or he gave him the sales pitch on how good Drake Jackson was as a freshman and Clay had him switch positions to get much worse; he can do that for him too. Maybe he even went for the big guns and taped Foreman to the back of a USC jersey or started a canned food drive, we’ll never know.

It’s not a bad class, but I have never seen a 2-2-7 defense. I think Clay is going for the ol’ Willie Taggart artificially inflate the recruiting ranking with DBs and WRs to make himself look better strategy. I wanted Ceyair Wright, thought Oregon had a chance after he took a visit last month to walk around campus - but Feld flexing and yelling through FaceTime isn’t as effective.
    That was Sark before it was Willie.

And some would argue RN though he only did it once, it's just the one time he did it he went all in on it.

But Dabo outcoached Day

Little known fact, a lot of Buckeye fans were sick of Urban because he played a lot of poor passing QBs. There was considerable optimism when Day was hired because he would run better passing concepts and not just play Terrell Pryor and Braxton Miller types.
    Urban Meyer didn’t use Terrelle Pryor properly. Just like Willie Taggart misused Marcus Mariota and Ty Willingham played Marques Tuiasosopo too much.
    "types" dipshit.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

But Dabo outcoached Day

Urban Meyer didn’t use Terrelle Pryor properly. Just like Willie Taggart misused Marcus Mariota and Ty Willingham played Marques Tuiasosopo too much.
    "types" dipshit.
    In the wall of text below I explain that you must have found some very, very dumb Ohio State fans who know nothing about their team and have some shit opinions - which in my experience is quite believable.

I’m not disputing that “a lot of Buckeye fans were sick of Urban” - I’m sure some of them had grown tired of averaging 12-1 seasons, and wanted to gamble on a first time head coach who had been fired from his previous two jobs.

I’m more curious who those Terrelle Pryor types were after Braxton Miller. Because Urban had three other starting QBs: JT Barrett, Cardale Jones for 7 games, and Dwayne Haskins.

Urban did choose Dwayne Haskins over Joe Burrow, and I can see why Ohio State fans wanted Urban gone as Ohio State coach after that move. When Haskins finished third in the Heisman after passing for 5000 yard with 50 TDs, the following year Joe Burrow passed for 5600 yards and 60 TDs while winning the Heisman! It sure looked dumb, and I would have also been retroactively sick of Urban Meyer.

I assume the quality these very real Ohio State fans meant as the commonality was athleticism/speed over arm talent, since both Pryor and Miller both converted to WR in the NFL.

Those other three QBs would be a funny comparison to the Pryor and Braxton Miller types. Dwayne Haskins didn’t just run a slow 40, he ran THE slowest QB 40 at the combine. Finishing .07 seconds behind the second slowest, local favorite Gardner Cashew. Meanwhile, the fastest of the three, JT Barrett, blazed his was to a time .03 seconds faster than noted dual threat Jake Browning and only .33 seconds behind Terrelle Pryor’s time.

I feel bad for those Ohio State fans who had to suffer though JT Barrett as he broke Drew Brees’ conference record for TD passes by 14. Or as he finished with the 2nd highest completion percentage since 1985 and the 4th highest passer rating in Big Ten history. It’s even worse if those fans stuck around to watch Dwayne Haskins pass Barrett and become the Big Ten’s career efficiency leader.

The tyranny of Urban Meyer‘s Terrelle-Pryor-type-QBs is over, as Ohio State now uses a very different QB in Justin Fields: Pryor is 6’4” 228 while Fields is only 6’3” 225. Both were the number 2 overall recruit in the country, but Fields was rated .9998 while Pryor was a peasant like .9997. Pryor was a basketball star and Fields was a baseball star. Pryor ran a 4.38 40, slowpoke Fields was laser timed at 4.43 seconds. I understand where those Ohio State fans were coming from, I would also grow tired of that.