Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Roster Numbers - Dec 2020

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,349
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This all disappears if we nut up and sign JT.

Asa was GONE to ND for awhile on the internet. But the daWgs received good fortune.

One of our best players said he stayed for this shitshow of a year *because* he believes in Lake.

Bring that magic to JT Jimmy.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Totally inexcusable roster mismanagement.

I've never seen a school already under the total limit on signing day.

I think Sonics mentioned that they threw in the towel for the '21 class and are "saving" those scholarships for the '22 class. If they botch recruiting again next year Jimmy is officially on the hot seat.

I can't wait to see which walk-ons get awarded a scholarship though.
    All of them.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

What about Kizer and Gilchrist? I expect Taj Davis, Yary, Osborne and Trice will portal.

Way to early for Trice. Spiker on the sidelines looked like he would be back.The others look like strong candidates.
    I shouldn’t be so cynical but Spiker’s towel waving and cheering made me think he’s a loser that doesn’t give a shit about actually playing.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    There will be significant WR attrition

Don’t be shocked if we try to add another QB for depth ... not sure we are looking great there I. 2022 ... numbers can get thin quickly

I think we’re dramatically underestimating the attrition and will be around 80 in the fall

Westover having a scholarship hurts my head
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,349
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Again, the receiver stuff is by choice. No block, no rock, blockers get to the NFL, etc. That doesn't resonate with the receivers the tbs people cream over.

But we should be getting the best rb's and road graders in the western US and maybe texas then.

I don't hate Berry. Maybe he is good.

Boner is just as offensive as Gregory overall.
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

The 2022 class has a lot more talent available out West than the 2021 class did. It’s a good idea to push some scholarships back to that class instead of using them now. - Ballz

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The 2022 class has a lot more talent available out West than the 2021 class did. It’s a good idea to push some scholarships back to that class instead of using them now. - Ballz

BUMPER CROP

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Westover is more deserving of a scholly than the 12 below average special teamers we have on scholarship

When given the chance he makes plays. He is athletic and doesn’t shit the bed when called upon. He may even be good.

He is the anti-culp.
    Yeah, Westover deserves a scholarship way more than Culp does
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

What about Kizer and Gilchrist? I expect Taj Davis, Yary, Osborne and Trice will portal.

Way to early for Trice. Spiker on the sidelines looked like he would be back.The others look like strong candidates.
    I shouldn’t be so cynical but Spiker’s towel waving and cheering made me think he’s a loser that doesn’t give a shit about actually playing.
    This was my feeling as well. Seemed a little ironic and detached to me, like a guy who had already checked out.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,957
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

Westover is more deserving of a scholly than the 12 below average special teamers we have on scholarship

When given the chance he makes plays. He is athletic and doesn’t shit the bed when called upon. He may even be good.

He is the anti-culp.
    People forget that Jack Westover is actually bigger than Hunter Bryant.

Wouldn't surprise me if he could run a 4.75 like hunter too

heir apparent to the underused TE roll once Otton leaves early, Yary flames out, and Culp transfers.
    “Worried about his safety” will go down as a classic hot take. Doesn’t matter if teq actually said it or not. It is now written.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    What’s the story with Yary? Seems pretty early to predict a flameout...
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    TTJ said:

What’s the story with Yary? Seems pretty early to predict a flameout...

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1430970/#Comment_1430970
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    edited December 2020

I think Sonics mentioned that they threw in the towel for the '21 class and are "saving" those scholarships for the '22 class. If they botch recruiting again next year Jimmy is officially on the hot seat.

I can't wait to see which walk-ons get awarded a scholarship though.
    Yeah and that is a terrible strategy. You can't get the wasted year back. Not to mention:

1. What are they going to do differently in terms of process in order to expect different results next year?
    2. Even if they do make big changes in personnel and strategy- what are they going to do, take 30 kids after a class of 15? Nice balance.
    Next year's senior class is artificially small since everyone redshirted when the 4 game rule went into effect but at least half of next year's "sophomore" class won't make it to 2022 either due to transfers or declaring for the draft.
    Agree that it's a terrible strategy but I'll play devil's advocate for a minute.

This is how the c/o '22 numbers looks like on the high end:
    -8 seniors on next year's roster (including Cade and Kirkland)
    -4 draft eligible guys who might declare early, let's assume they all leave (Puka, McDuffie, ZTF, Kyler)
    -Let's say 6 couch sales over this offseason
    -Add 6 more for attrition after the '21 season

That gets us to 24 slots which numbers wise would be in line with the 2018-2020 classes that ended up ranked in the top 15. Now do I trust that Lake and co. will do any better than this year? Not really. But I'll take the chance they will somehow cobble together a solid class over adding 3-4 hidden gems this year who aren't deserving of a scholarship. Now if they use those scholarships on JTT, Cardwell, and Wynden it's a different story but that's not happening. If they add anyone else at this point it'll be more Caiden Jumpers and Robert Wyrsch's.

The wild card to the numbers that the coaches might be taking into consideration is the seniors next year (Bynum, Jones, Bain, Luciano, Cook, Henry) who opt to utilize the extra year of eligibility. I'm pretty sure this years seniors won't count against the 85 if they come back next season like Watty but I have no idea how it works for classes going forward.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    Kim and Ektard are already spreading the lazy narrative that the '22 class is going to be very small, similar to the '21 class. I'm going to call it now that we're going to sign a minimum of 20 kids in this next class.