Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Anthony Jones, 2022 3* OLB, Henderson (Liberty), NV (gone)

Comments

• DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    "Seattle is a beautiful place and I loved pretty much everything about it -- the trees, the lake and the stadium were second to none," Jones told 247Sports following his trip. "The campus was really nice and took a while to see most of it because of how big it is. UW played amazing overall against Arizona. The defense was very aggressive and had tons of energy, so it was really fun watching them ball out.

"I got a call from coach Derham Cato right before pregame and he showed me the field and some of the stadium and that was really cool. ... I have a great relationship with the coaching staff and I already love UW. They always have great tight ends like Cade Otton and great pass rushers like Joe Tryon that have potential to go to the league. As you know, my teammate Germie Bernard is committed to UW, so getting to play with him at the next level would be a big lifetime experience. I got to meet and throw with Sam Huard as well and he’s an amazing dude and a very talented athlete, so that's even more reason why I love UW. Right now I have nothing but love for this amazing program."

Jones, in Washington's scheme, projects for a pass-rushing edge position, although he also has garnered attention from schools as a tight end.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

"Seattle is a beautiful place and I loved pretty much everything about it -- the trees, the lake and the stadium were second to none," Jones told 247Sports following his trip. "The campus was really nice and took a while to see most of it because of how big it is. UW played amazing overall against Arizona. The defense was very aggressive and had tons of energy, so it was really fun watching them ball out.

"I got a call from coach Derham Cato right before pregame and he showed me the field and some of the stadium and that was really cool. ... I have a great relationship with the coaching staff and I already love UW. They always have great tight ends like Cade Otton and great pass rushers like Joe Tryon that have potential to go to the league. As you know, my teammate Germie Bernard is committed to UW, so getting to play with him at the next level would be a big lifetime experience. I got to meet and throw with Sam Huard as well and he’s an amazing dude and a very talented athlete, so that's even more reason why I love UW. Right now I have nothing but love for this amazing program."

Jones, in Washington's scheme, projects for a pass-rushing edge position, although he also has garnered attention from schools as a tight end.

The scenery is definitely I think something the recruits who grow up here take for granted. A kid from the desert comes and goes holy fuck that’s amazing I want to play in that stadium and go to school on that campus. Not saying it’s a deciding reason for any player don’t twist, just interesting to think about.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Ballz scouting report. Savvy 2.0

HUGE pickup! Huge! Just getting one OLB last class was not ideal. We need two OLB’s in every class because having an elite pass rush and depth to rotate guys in and out is everything. Jones is a beast. He has the size, has the twitch, and has the aggression. This is why I laugh at these star rankings. I can honestly say that talent wise, there isn’t a noticeable difference between Jones and Savell Smalls. Their Sophomore film looks so similar. Savell played some TE/WR in high school too. Man, Coach K is killing it with these way underrated 3-star kids. First Tryon and ZTF, now Heims and Jones.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2020

HUGE pickup! Huge! Just getting one OLB last class was not ideal. We need two OLB’s in every class because having an elite pass rush and depth to rotate guys in and out is everything. Jones is a beast. He has the size, has the twitch, and has the aggression. This is why I laugh at these star rankings. I can honestly say that talent wise, there isn’t a noticeable difference between Jones and Savell Smalls. Their Sophomore film looks so similar. Savell played some TE/WR in high school too. Man, Coach K is killing it with these way underrated 3-star kids. First Tryon and ZTF, now Heims and Jones.

Savvy 2.0 LOL but he’s not wrong on this kid. When you’re 6”5 240 35 inch vert with bend as a HS JR, you’re a high level physical talent.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Savvy 2.0 LOL but he’s not wrong on this kid. When you’re 6”5 240 35 inch vert with bend as a HS JR, you’re a high level physical talent.
    Shut up. You’re as bad as Ballz.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,701
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    New favorite dawg mom - Darcy...
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Shut up. You’re as bad as Ballz.
    I hate big guys that are explosive too! Fuck off roadie.
  • coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,203
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Good pick up of both him and Mells
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    Battle orst and cuog for diamond in the rough 3 star kids and then COACH EM UP!!!1!!11!!!!

Is that where we’re at now?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    thechatch said:

Battle orst and cuog for diamond in the rough 3 star kids and then COACH EM UP!!!1!!11!!!!

Like we say, no.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2020
    Ektard

I really like the commitment of Jones. Big, jumbo athlete who can really run. One of the reasons why I made the projection of him playing tight end in my Impact Report was because Derham Cato was actually the coach who made him the offer. The other reason is because I spoke with Sam Huard after he was able to throw routes with Jones when he was up for his visit and he said that Jones could be an incredible tight end.

However, it sounds like he's headed to the defensive side of the ball. This kid is a legit 6'5" and nearly 245 pounds right now. He's going to be an absolute beast once he gets into the program and learns some technique. He'll need some work on his technique and the nuances of playing the position, but he could be really, really good when it's all said and done. For anyone worrying about his lack of offers, a big reason why is because no one got to see him this spring. He'd have most of the Pac 12 by now if that was the case.

It isn't that UW is the only team that watches film, but they are the ones who decided to offer him because they see something in him that others don't or at least haven't up to this point. I am not sure he'll receive a lot of offers because he's pretty adamant about his decision to become a Husky, but make no mistake, this kid could wind up being special at the next level. It's all about development with him.
    dnc said:

thechatch said:

Like we say, no.
    That’s good.

Jimmy probably needs to mix some of the Erickson/Neuheisal model into his player acquisition.

I don’t see a Lawyer Malloy, Jeremiah Pharms or Corey Dillon on this roster and sometimes you need a middle linebacker who is willing to piss himself in anger in full sight of the QB lining up to take the snap.

Arrests are fine, as long as it isn’t one of the big 3, and even then, you’ve got a cleaner to sweep up the mess.

Or just keep rolling Rex Manu out there.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

I mean, it worked better than leading the conference in magical blue chip ratio...
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

dnc said:

thechatch said:

Like we say, no.
    That’s good.

Jimmy probably needs to mix some of the Erickson/Neuheisal model into his player acquisition.

I don’t see a Lawyer Malloy, Jeremiah Pharms or Corey Dillon on this roster and sometimes you need a middle linebacker who is willing to piss himself in anger in full sight of the QB lining up to take the snap.

Arrests are fine, as long as it isn’t one of the big 3, and even then, you’ve got a cleaner to sweep up the mess.

Or just keep rolling Rex Manu out there.
    We have the MLB. Ulo is one of the best we have ever had. Arrests in general can’t be hushed up like they used to. A lot of those guys from back in the day wouldn’t last with social media. A blurb in the Times is different than a bunch of people directly tweeting at the coach.
    edited December 2020
    I miss off-season arrest reports.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

Don't make comments without even watching the highlights. Pretty good odds these guys don't fit the diamond in the rough category when/if this recruiting cycle actually gets off the ground and schools have recent film and camps to evaluate.

Just some free advice.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I like to use the word jumbo to describe people, it's what I like to do.
    chuck said:

thechatch said:

Don't make comments without even watching the highlights. Pretty good odds these guys don't fit the diamond in the rough category when/if this recruiting cycle actually gets off the ground and schools have recent film and camps to evaluate.

Just some free advice.
    Thank you so much. I wrote this down so I wouldn’t forget it. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?