Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2021 Fiesta Bowl: Iowa State vs Oregon

NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
I know nothing about Iowa State other than their coach is going to move to a better job this winter.

Comments

• RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Their QB Brock Purdy is friends with Tyler Shough. They were the same year in Arizona, except Shough was ranked 700 spots higher. He is better than Shough. Should have gone to Purdue with that last name.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

Their QB Brock Purdy is friends with Tyler Shough. They were the same year in Arizona, except Shough was ranked 700 spots higher. He is better than Shough. Should have gone to Purdue with that last name.

This is one of those games that is completely on the Oregon coaches. Much better roster but Campbell is one of the best coaches in FBS. Mario will need to have the players (A) motivated and (B) disciplined while making in-game adjustments. Worst case scenario is Mario and staff get completely out coached and out-efforted and lose by two+ scores. Shouldn’t happen, but it could.

This is one of those games that is completely on the Oregon coaches. Much better roster but Campbell is one of the best coaches in FBS. Mario will need to have the players (A) motivated and (B) disciplined while making in-game adjustments. Worst case scenario is Mario and staff get completely out coached and out-efforted and lose by two+ scores. Shouldn’t happen, but it could.
    Like much of the season it’s going to come down to hustle on defense and not fucking up on offense.

Unfortunately they can really run the ball and stop the run on defense. Moorhead will need to come up with an offensive game plan to stop Shough from getting torn apart.
  • DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Ducks +4 to start
    DJDuck said:

Ducks +4 to start

Should narrow as bets come in on the Ducks. +4 is a Chinteresting bet but without any way of knowing which team shows up to play stay far away.

I’m reading @creepycoug’s posts about Shough and thinking Anthony Brown will get some meaningful snaps. Tyler just doesn’t have “it.” He could be a very good Big Sky conference player like Montana Fruitcup if he’s willing to move down, but if he’s starting for Oregon next fall something has either gone unexpectedly correct in that he improved massively, or horribly wrong in that no other option is better.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    3rd Place team in the North vs Iowa State

Worst Fiesta Bowl matchup ever?
    edited December 2020
    HuskyJW said:

Pac 12 conference champ vs Big XII runner-up.

Play a road game and then pop off.

HuskyJW said:

Arizona v Boise State and Utah v Pittsburgh feeling respected.

Iowa State, the Big-12 regular season champ who came close to two wins over perennial playoff team Oklahoma, gets to play back-to-back Pac-12 champion and the West Coast’s premier program in Oregon, who will be going for their third straight Fiesta Bowl blowout against the Big-12?

That sounds like a big time NY6 game.

Iowa State’s first big time bowl bid, overcoming the odds to beat Texas and Oklahoma. They are rewarded by getting an Oregon team that has 10 times the blue chip recruits, and is playing in their seventh NY6 or natty bowl since 2010 alone.

I can see the ESPN promos now.

Can Corn David take down Nike Goliath? Will upstart, genius coach Matt Campbell get Iowa State their biggest win against an Oregon team that lost NFL rookie of the year and superstar Justin Herbert?

Two childhood friends starting at QB. Come see one of them get lit the fuck up by Kayvon Thibodeaux! The top ranked recruit in the ESPN rankings and potential first overall pick in the 2022 draft! Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both have him on a list! We gave him a half hour of live TV on ESPN to pick his school, now your fat ass can watch him play and depending on how good he plays you can tweet “Thindabsjox over rate af he ass dnt draft pleez” or “Golly gee @NFLteamIliveCloseTo please draft this young man he is an exemplary talent and is exactly what we need to beat @BetterRunRivalFranchiseInSameGeographicRegion.

That seems like a big game. 10 million people will watch it.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I get the feeling no one has watched ISU play. They’re easily better than Oregon at qb, rb, wr/Te, and LB. there’s a reason they’re favored.
    edited December 2020
    ntxduck said:

I get the feeling no one has watched ISU play. They’re easily better than Oregon at qb, rb, wr/Te, and LB. there’s a reason they’re favored.

They’re favored because Shough soughs. He has talent and there is a decent backup in Anthony Brown. I get the feeling you didn’t watch ISU play.

My gut right now has it Ducks 31 Clone Wars 21 and bet Oregon for a few nice dinners now so $200 on the moneyline if you dare.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

They’re favored because Shough soughs. He has talent and there is a decent backup in Anthony Brown. I get the feeling you didn’t watch ISU play.

My gut right now has it Ducks 31 Clone Wars 21 and bet Oregon for a few nice dinners now so $200 on the moneyline if you dare.
    I’m waiting to see who we start. If Oregon starts brown and let’s him run, I like the ducks straight up. Shough is completely foughed in the head at this point. If he starts, I’d lean towards ISU.

I really like the ISU RB hall. Will be a good measuring stick for our D if the last 2 weeks were a mirage or not
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

wurst since notre shame got in with a 6-4-1 record
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    HuskyJW said:

Last time I checked, the trophy doesn't say that.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,349
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Big 12 sucks ass.

Oregon presses their OL to a win.

Cuog just did this 2 seasons ago.

Layup.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Well that’s a relief!
  • lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    thechatch said:

Well that’s a relief!

I’ve been reading some ISU forums and they think OU has the best dline in the country.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My Hoosiers got robbed
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2020

My Hoosiers got robbed

My old Quook roommate who became a Hoooos is upset, too.

My Hoosiers got robbed

My old Quook roommate who became a Hoooos is upset, too.
    This time of year is bad enough for the Hoos as is, with the Grinch attacks and all.
    lawsandl said:

thechatch said:

Well that’s a relief!

I’ve been reading some ISU forums and they think OU has the best dline in the country.
    I looked through their forums and it sounds like a poorer Oregon in 2005 or any other program who doesn’t quite get it yet. Translated from corn people talk:

* Look at what Coach is doing with three stars, imagine if we had a bunch of 4-stars!

* I don’t want 4 and 5-stars, they are lazy and will ruin the culture we’ve had for three years.

* If we could only get a few of Oklahoma’s recruits.

* We don’t need Oklahoma’s players we’re already competitive with them.

Those bumpkins don’t understand that Oklahoma isn’t Alabama or Ohio State or that in the long run the culture of their coach who will eventually leave and all the Xs and Os are no match for someone else’s Jimmys and Joes.