Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Option trades

sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Recently got into options and wanted a place to track how I would do for December and thought what better place than Baseman's Billionaire Boys Club on Hardcore Husky. My first call filled on Friday, picked up AMD calls for $100 at $2.20 each that expires 1/15/21. Let's see if my crypto trading can translate to equities.

Comments

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You need it to go up 10% in next 6 weeks for trade to work which means a 5% gain +/- for overall market.

Do you have a sell point if it hits it that you are out?

• Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,287
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I'm too much of a pussy to trade options but I really enjoy following /r/wallstreetbets, there is nothing funnier than people gambling away their entire life savings in a day.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    Yo give me some crypto sonic, be a steward for the community.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020

Recently got into options and wanted a place to track how I would do for December and thought what better place than Baseman's Billionaire Boys Club on Hardcore Husky. My first call filled on Friday, picked up AMD calls for $100 at $2.20 each that expires 1/15/21. Let's see if my crypto trading can translate to equities.

With respect, what is the basis for choosing that trade? Were you throwing darts or are you projecting a fundamental movement in an overall or sub-market? why?

systemic based thinking >>>> results based thinking

TIA

• sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    edited November 2020
    Closed half today at 100% gain. Leaving the other half open because my target is $100 for the stock.
    pawz said:

With respect, what is the basis for choosing that trade? Were you throwing darts or are you projecting a fundamental movement in an overall or sub-market? why?

systemic based thinking >>>> results based thinking

TIA

Reason why I picked up AMD was because it was a tech stock and the chart looked primed for a breakout which it did today.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2020
    I know there's more potential in options trading, I just don't have the stomach for it. That's why I generally position trade. I try to buy and hold for at least a year, so I can claim capital gains.
    I closed 25% AMD for 150% gain and the other 25% for 70% gain. Next option is Apple for $130 at 2.90 for Jan 15 exp
  • ReignManReignMan Member Posts: 217
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    Follow DKNG Draftkings options. Huge option premiums and swing trade potential as well as a long term core hold.
    Closed Apple at 3.8 for a 50% gain. Market looks like it’s going to go sideways so sitting out the rest of the year. Just going to watch bitcoin go up.
    ReignMan said:

Follow DKNG Draftkings options. Huge option premiums and swing trade potential as well as a long term core hold.

They are on my watchlist but not ready to pull the trigger.
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,452
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Closed half today at 100% gain. Leaving the other half open because my target is $100 for the stock.

Smart move. It's tuff to pull the trigger and take a profit when your position hits a gain like this relatively quickly - easy to look at the numbers "if it just keeps going"

That call is worth $1.44 right now. A lot can happen between now and 1/15 but you gotta feel great taking some profits when you did. If you hold to the bitter end you have a 19.79% chance of this closing in the money and 42.8% chance that it touches 100 between now and 1/15. I like that 42.8% chance especially considering you took some profits already. Hope it's house money for you since you sold some off.