Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Osteoarthritis

Hi! I need help in what is good to give my huskey with arthritis that is natural. She's only 6. I've read fish oil and starting a raw diet.

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I don't know about huskies but I only feed my shih tzu fresh human meat.
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    common problem for years 0-12
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Hi! I need help in what is good to give my huskey with arthritis that is natural. She's only 6. I've read fish oil and starting a raw diet.

You may want to lurk around a bit, get a feel for this place before posting.

• Options
    MadHuskyMadHusky Member Posts: 376
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    Piglet's Story

My husky Piglet had surgery for elbow dysplasia on both elbows before her second birthday, followed by surgery for a ruptured cruciate at age 3. She was on daily Rimadyl/Etogesic with occasional doses of prednisone up until age 7. At that time, I switched her to a raw, grain-free diet with natural supplements. She improved so much that I was able to discontinue all medications. At age 10, she ruptured her other cruciate and again had surgery (April, 2002). It took about three months for us to build back up to her usual 2 mile daily walks, but she did extremely well, became just as active as ever, and was still on no medications for her arthritis, despite the fact that x-rays confirmed severe degenerative joint disease in both elbows. At age 11, she became lamer in one elbow, and after many months of struggling to get her back to where she had been before, I put her back on NSAIDs (Metacam). She continued to be slower than before and I had to cut back on walks because she couldn't go as far. After about a year, she improved again, and while still slower than she used to be, could go on full length walks again at age 13. Then I discovered a very small tumor in her foot, between her toes. It was removed immediately, and when she recovered, she began taking very long walks, longer than ever before. Now, at age 14, she walks 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time, going sometimes 3-4 miles, almost every day. I suspect that the tumor had been bothering her to walk on. It never hurts to keep looking for other possible causes of lameness, even when you know your dog has bad joints.

Here is what I have done with her:

First, I feed a raw, grain-free diet. I also weigh all her food using a small postage scale, originally to gradually reduce her weight and now to maintain it (she weighs about 33 pounds and is lean but not skinny; she weighed 36 pounds at the age of 10 months and has been as high as 42 pounds). Keeping dogs with arthritis lean is one of the best things you can do to help them. Also, grains tend to increase inflammation and aggravate arthritis. Many dogs improve when grains are removed from the diet (most dry foods are high in grains, though there are a number of grain-free foods being offered, see my Dry Dog Foods web page for more info; note that there are also some canned foods that are grain free).
    I give fish oil(body oil, not liver oil), Vitamin E(which should always be given when supplementing oils), and antioxidants, usually Cell Revive 880 (same as Cell Advance 880) or sometimes Thorne Veterinary Immugen. I also give a Vitamin B-50 complex daily -- note that niacinamide (a form of vitamin B3) has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and may help to rebuild cartilage. According to a vet who recommended it to me, the dosage for Piglet's size (35 lbs) is 50 mg, which is what I get in the B-50 vitamin complex that I use. See Nutrition Q & A (scroll down to the last question) for more information on niacinamide.
    It is important that dogs with arthritis get adequate, but not excessive amounts of calcium, vitamin D and magnesium. If you are feeding a commercial diet, there should be no need to supplement with any of these. If you are feeding a home made diet, it might be helpful to supplement with small amounts of vitamin D (such as from cod liver oil) and magnesium. If your diet includes raw meaty bones, they should not account for more than around 50% of the diet. If your diet does not include bones, then you need to add calcium at the rate of around 1000 mg per pound of food (1/2 teaspoon of ground eggshell yields about 1000 mg of calcium). Piglet gets raw meaty bones as about half of her diet, and I have not been supplementing with magnesium or vitamin D.
    I have rotated among Yucca Intensive, Bromelain, Quercetin, Boswellia, Turmeric (or its extract, Curcumin), Sam-E, Borage Oil and other natural anti-inflammatory herbs and Nutraceuticals. It is difficult for me to tell how much any of these have helped, but I believe all have had some benefit. Note that Bromelain is most effective when given away from meals for an anti-inflammatory effect (otherwise, it is used for digestion), and may work best when combined with Quercetin. See Natural Anti-inflammatories for more information.
    Piglet has been on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement for most of her life. I believe this is one of the most important things you can do, as these substance don't just treat the symptoms, they can actually help rebuild cartilage and restore synovial (joint) fluid. I currently use Arthroplex, which includes bromelain, boswellia, Green Mussel (Perna Canaliculus, which is a source of chondroitin) and DLPA for chronic pain. I give these supplements away from meals, which may make them more effective.
    Piglet also gets fresh crushed raw garlic (one small clove per day, as too much can be toxic), alfalfa, organic (raw) apple cider vinegar (about half a tablespoon daily) and fresh raw ginger in her food, all of which may help with arthritis.
    Before starting Piglet on Metacam, we used Willow Bark instead of Aspirin for occasional pain relief when she overdoes it, as it is easier on the stomach. You can also use buffered aspirin, such as Ascriptin or Vetrin (which comes in smaller doses). Giving with food may help prevent stomach upset, but not ulceration. Do not combine Aspirin with Willow Bark or any NSAID, such as Rimadyl or Etogesic. Also, do not use enteric coated aspirin, which can be dangerous for dogs. See Chronic Pain for more info on aspirin and other NSAIDs.
    Piglet got something called DogLeggs for Christmas. They keep her elbows warm and padded at all times. They appear to be comfortable, she wears them all of the time except when we go on our walks and during the day when it is hot, and she seems to enjoy them.
    In June, 2003, I started Piglet on a supplement called Arthroplex, and have been very happy with the results. For a couple of months, she had been favoring her left elbow -- it's usually her right that gives her the most trouble, so having to favor the left made her fairly lame. I chose Arthroplex because of the DLPA, but it also includes glucosamine, green-lipped mussel, bromelain and boswellia, so I discontinued the Flexile Plus and Green Mussel and instead gave her two capsules Arthroplex twice a day (maximum dosage for her size). Within four days, she was no longer lagging on our walks, and within a week, there was no longer a noticeable limp. She also still gets Yucca Intensive and fish oil, but no other supplements for arthritis currently. Unfortunately, after about a month of doing well, Piglet got worse again. We have continued the same regimen of supplements, including the DLPA.
    In June, 2004, I tried switching from Arthroplex to SynoviG3, which several people had reported good success with. Unfortunately, it did not work for us and Piglet immediately got worse, even when I started adding DLPA back in separately. We have since returned to the Arthroplex, and also Yucca Intensive, which I had discontinued after starting Metacam. In fact, I am not sure how much the Metacam is helping, and have discontinued it for now, she seems to do as well on Arthroplex and Yucca Intensive as she did with Arthroplex and Metacam.
    In October, 2004, she went back on Metacam, which really does seem to help Piglet's mobility. She's still not very fast, but she's going on much longer walks now than she was when things were bad. She continues on Arthroplex, and I switched from Yucca Intensive to an herbal blend that has yucca, alfalfa and some other ingredients (Animals' Apawthecary Alfalfa/Yucca Blend), so that may also be part of why she's doing better. I've been having very good luck recently using herbal blends in tincture form for dogs, including products from Animals' Apawthecary (Alfalfa/Yucca Blend and Senior Blend), Tasha's and Azmira. Piglet will be 13 in December.
    In September, 2005, I found a small tumor between her toes and had it removed. When she recovered from surgery, she began taking very long walks, going 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time, often as far as 3-4 miles. As of January, 2006, at age 14, she is walking further and longer than ever before. She is not fast, but keeps a good walking pace and does not slow down toward the end. She continues on Metacam, though I take her off it periodically and she still does pretty well, but I figure she needs all the help she can get, and since she tolerates it very well (no digestive upset at all), I keep her on it most of the time. She remains on Arthroplex and is also currently getting curcumin.
    It's December, 2006, and Piglet has just turned 15. She continues to take me on 1 to 2 hour walks every day. I let her set the pace and decide how far we go, so as not to push her, though I occasionally have to ask her to turn back when we've gone a very long way and she wants to keep going. She currently takes Arthroplex (source of glucosamine, green-lipped mussel, DLPA, boswellia, bromelain and vitamin C), high dose fish oil, turmeric, SAM-e, vitamin E, as well as alternating between the herbal Senior Blend and Alfalfa/Yucca blend (both from Animal’s Apawthecary). In addition, she takes Metacam, and I give her one dose of Tramadol in the morning to help with walks. She is also on sertraline (Zoloft) for anxiety, which may help with pain as well.
    Piglet turned 16 in December, 2007. She slowed down quite a bit early in the year, taking shorter walks at a slower pace. We tried shock wave therapy in August and September, which has helped a little, letting her take longer walks (usually 45 minutes to an hour, with occasional longer walks up to 2 hours, which she had not done for six months prior to the therapy), and sometimes at a trot rather than her usual walk. She remains quite healthy. She currently takes Arthroplex (source of glucosamine, green-lipped mussel, DLPA, boswellia, bromelain and vitamin C), fish oil, turmeric, SAM-e, vitamin E, as well as alternating between the herbal Senior Blend and Alfalfa/Yucca blend (both from Animal’s Apawthecary). In addition, she takes Metacam, and I give her one dose of Tramadol in the morning to help with walks (I would give more but have to be cautious about combining it with Zoloft, which she gets for her generalized anxiety disorder). I also began giving her amantadine a couple of months ago, which is supposed to enhance the effects of other pain medications; I'm not sure if it's made any difference or not. I was able to get it in liquid form thru Costco (needed in order to get the correct dosage, as the pills are too high). Zoloft (sertraline) may help with pain as well. I should also note that I have gradually decreased the amount she is fed and the amount of fat in her diet as her exercise level has decreased to help her maintain her body weight at 34 lbs.
    July, 2008: Piglet is now 16 1/2, an amazing age for a Shar-Pei. She remains quite healthy and still enjoys her walks, but continues to be very slow. I've decided to try Pulsed Signal Therapy (PST) in the hopes that it will help her be able to go further. I stopped giving Piglet Arthroplex, as she has high blood pressure and the DLPA it contains can make that worse -- her kidneys and heart are fine, but she has some corneal degeneration and pigmentary keratitis that interfere with her vision, and I was afraid that she might blow out her retina due to the high blood pressure (she's also now on blood pressure medication). I first tried Dasuquin as a replacement, but she seemed a little worse on that, so I switched to Sea Mussel Plus and I've been happy with that. I also added three anti-inflammatory supplements in the hopes it might make enough difference that she would not need PST, but no such luck -- she may be a little better, but not a lot. The new supplements I added were Microlactin, Boswellia, and a combination Bromelain and Quercetin (I get all of these, including Sea Mussel Plus, at vitacost.com). That's in addition to her usual supplements of fish oil, turmeric (curcumin), SAM-e,CoQ10 and a multi-vitamin, and her usual medications, Metacam and Tramadol. Piglet starts PST next week, going every day for 9 consecutive days. I will update this site if I notice any improvement.
    October, 2008: Piglet has continued to be quite lame. The pulsed signal therapy (PST) did not help her at all. I tried switching her from Metacam to Previcox, which seemed to help but upset her stomach. I then tried prednisone, which helped a lot, but not being sure it was necessary, I tried another new NSAID, Zubrin. This one she tolerated well, but she returned to being quite lame. I've since switched her back to prednisone, which she is likely to remain on for the rest of her life. At almost 17, I don't have major concerns about its long term effects. Her dosage is every other day, which is also supposed to decrease side effects. Note that I kept her off all drugs for 72 hours in between each change in medication, as it's dangerous to switch from one NSAID to another, or to pred, too quickly.
    January, 2009: Piglet is now 17. She is doing well on the prednisone; although still favoring her right elbow, she is able to take long walks again, averaging around an hour a day, though she is very slow. I have discontinued all her other supplements, as it's unlikely that any natural anti-inflammatories would add anything over and above what prednisone provides, and she's developed some digestive problems that seem to do better when she's not getting supplements.
    March, 2009: Piglet is gone. She went downhill sharply in the last few weeks of her life, developing dementia and unable to cope with her limited vision. She was still mobile to the end, though very slow. She had a wonderful life, far longer than I ever dreamed when she was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia at a year old. Her condition helped me find the path to a natural diet and supplements, and to learning more about dog health and nutrition. She will always be in my heart.
    From the age of 7 to 11, Piglet was in better shape with no medications than she had been at a younger age, and she did not slow down much at all. At age 11 1/2, her left elbow became quite a bit worse, and she began slowing down. In general, she has been very active and fit, but our walks decreased from an hour a day, to half an hour a day, down to 15 minutes on bad days, at age 12 1/2. She then improved again (I think she had injured her left elbow and it gradually got better), and at age 13, she went back to about 45 minutes a day. At age 14, following surgery to remove a small tumor, she began taking longer walks than ever. She slowed down again at age 15, but then gradually improved following shock wave therapy. Moderate exercise is good for dogs with arthritis, as long as you don't overdo it (tired muscles make for lax joints, which is not good).
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    For advice, this place is better than Angie's List.
  • Options
    PurpleMicrodotPurpleMicrodot Member Posts: 66
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Portugese verion is 235 characters too long. FYFMFE
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    MadHusky said:

Piglet's Story

My husky Piglet had surgery for elbow dysplasia on both elbows before her second birthday, followed by surgery for a ruptured cruciate at age 3. She was on daily Rimadyl/Etogesic with occasional doses of prednisone up until age 7. At that time, I switched her to a raw, grain-free diet with natural supplements. She improved so much that I was able to discontinue all medications. At age 10, she ruptured her other cruciate and again had surgery (April, 2002). It took about three months for us to build back up to her usual 2 mile daily walks, but she did extremely well, became just as active as ever, and was still on no medications for her arthritis, despite the fact that x-rays confirmed severe degenerative joint disease in both elbows. At age 11, she became lamer in one elbow, and after many months of struggling to get her back to where she had been before, I put her back on NSAIDs (Metacam). She continued to be slower than before and I had to cut back on walks because she couldn't go as far. After about a year, she improved again, and while still slower than she used to be, could go on full length walks again at age 13. Then I discovered a very small tumor in her foot, between her toes. It was removed immediately, and when she recovered, she began taking very long walks, longer than ever before. Now, at age 14, she walks 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time, going sometimes 3-4 miles, almost every day. I suspect that the tumor had been bothering her to walk on. It never hurts to keep looking for other possible causes of lameness, even when you know your dog has bad joints.

Here is what I have done with her:

First, I feed a raw, grain-free diet. I also weigh all her food using a small postage scale, originally to gradually reduce her weight and now to maintain it (she weighs about 33 pounds and is lean but not skinny; she weighed 36 pounds at the age of 10 months and has been as high as 42 pounds). Keeping dogs with arthritis lean is one of the best things you can do to help them. Also, grains tend to increase inflammation and aggravate arthritis. Many dogs improve when grains are removed from the diet (most dry foods are high in grains, though there are a number of grain-free foods being offered, see my Dry Dog Foods web page for more info; note that there are also some canned foods that are grain free).
    I give fish oil(body oil, not liver oil), Vitamin E(which should always be given when supplementing oils), and antioxidants, usually Cell Revive 880 (same as Cell Advance 880) or sometimes Thorne Veterinary Immugen. I also give a Vitamin B-50 complex daily -- note that niacinamide (a form of vitamin B3) has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and may help to rebuild cartilage. According to a vet who recommended it to me, the dosage for Piglet's size (35 lbs) is 50 mg, which is what I get in the B-50 vitamin complex that I use. See Nutrition Q & A (scroll down to the last question) for more information on niacinamide.
    It is important that dogs with arthritis get adequate, but not excessive amounts of calcium, vitamin D and magnesium. If you are feeding a commercial diet, there should be no need to supplement with any of these. If you are feeding a home made diet, it might be helpful to supplement with small amounts of vitamin D (such as from cod liver oil) and magnesium. If your diet includes raw meaty bones, they should not account for more than around 50% of the diet. If your diet does not include bones, then you need to add calcium at the rate of around 1000 mg per pound of food (1/2 teaspoon of ground eggshell yields about 1000 mg of calcium). Piglet gets raw meaty bones as about half of her diet, and I have not been supplementing with magnesium or vitamin D.
    I have rotated among Yucca Intensive, Bromelain, Quercetin, Boswellia, Turmeric (or its extract, Curcumin), Sam-E, Borage Oil and other natural anti-inflammatory herbs and Nutraceuticals. It is difficult for me to tell how much any of these have helped, but I believe all have had some benefit. Note that Bromelain is most effective when given away from meals for an anti-inflammatory effect (otherwise, it is used for digestion), and may work best when combined with Quercetin. See Natural Anti-inflammatories for more information.
    Piglet has been on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement for most of her life. I believe this is one of the most important things you can do, as these substance don't just treat the symptoms, they can actually help rebuild cartilage and restore synovial (joint) fluid. I currently use Arthroplex, which includes bromelain, boswellia, Green Mussel (Perna Canaliculus, which is a source of chondroitin) and DLPA for chronic pain. I give these supplements away from meals, which may make them more effective.
    Piglet also gets fresh crushed raw garlic (one small clove per day, as too much can be toxic), alfalfa, organic (raw) apple cider vinegar (about half a tablespoon daily) and fresh raw ginger in her food, all of which may help with arthritis.
    Before starting Piglet on Metacam, we used Willow Bark instead of Aspirin for occasional pain relief when she overdoes it, as it is easier on the stomach. You can also use buffered aspirin, such as Ascriptin or Vetrin (which comes in smaller doses). Giving with food may help prevent stomach upset, but not ulceration. Do not combine Aspirin with Willow Bark or any NSAID, such as Rimadyl or Etogesic. Also, do not use enteric coated aspirin, which can be dangerous for dogs. See Chronic Pain for more info on aspirin and other NSAIDs.
    Piglet got something called DogLeggs for Christmas. They keep her elbows warm and padded at all times. They appear to be comfortable, she wears them all of the time except when we go on our walks and during the day when it is hot, and she seems to enjoy them.
    In June, 2003, I started Piglet on a supplement called Arthroplex, and have been very happy with the results. For a couple of months, she had been favoring her left elbow -- it's usually her right that gives her the most trouble, so having to favor the left made her fairly lame. I chose Arthroplex because of the DLPA, but it also includes glucosamine, green-lipped mussel, bromelain and boswellia, so I discontinued the Flexile Plus and Green Mussel and instead gave her two capsules Arthroplex twice a day (maximum dosage for her size). Within four days, she was no longer lagging on our walks, and within a week, there was no longer a noticeable limp. She also still gets Yucca Intensive and fish oil, but no other supplements for arthritis currently. Unfortunately, after about a month of doing well, Piglet got worse again. We have continued the same regimen of supplements, including the DLPA.
    In June, 2004, I tried switching from Arthroplex to SynoviG3, which several people had reported good success with. Unfortunately, it did not work for us and Piglet immediately got worse, even when I started adding DLPA back in separately. We have since returned to the Arthroplex, and also Yucca Intensive, which I had discontinued after starting Metacam. In fact, I am not sure how much the Metacam is helping, and have discontinued it for now, she seems to do as well on Arthroplex and Yucca Intensive as she did with Arthroplex and Metacam.
    In October, 2004, she went back on Metacam, which really does seem to help Piglet's mobility. She's still not very fast, but she's going on much longer walks now than she was when things were bad. She continues on Arthroplex, and I switched from Yucca Intensive to an herbal blend that has yucca, alfalfa and some other ingredients (Animals' Apawthecary Alfalfa/Yucca Blend), so that may also be part of why she's doing better. I've been having very good luck recently using herbal blends in tincture form for dogs, including products from Animals' Apawthecary (Alfalfa/Yucca Blend and Senior Blend), Tasha's and Azmira. Piglet will be 13 in December.
    In September, 2005, I found a small tumor between her toes and had it removed. When she recovered from surgery, she began taking very long walks, going 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time, often as far as 3-4 miles. As of January, 2006, at age 14, she is walking further and longer than ever before. She is not fast, but keeps a good walking pace and does not slow down toward the end. She continues on Metacam, though I take her off it periodically and she still does pretty well, but I figure she needs all the help she can get, and since she tolerates it very well (no digestive upset at all), I keep her on it most of the time. She remains on Arthroplex and is also currently getting curcumin.
    It's December, 2006, and Piglet has just turned 15. She continues to take me on 1 to 2 hour walks every day. I let her set the pace and decide how far we go, so as not to push her, though I occasionally have to ask her to turn back when we've gone a very long way and she wants to keep going. She currently takes Arthroplex (source of glucosamine, green-lipped mussel, DLPA, boswellia, bromelain and vitamin C), high dose fish oil, turmeric, SAM-e, vitamin E, as well as alternating between the herbal Senior Blend and Alfalfa/Yucca blend (both from Animal’s Apawthecary). In addition, she takes Metacam, and I give her one dose of Tramadol in the morning to help with walks. She is also on sertraline (Zoloft) for anxiety, which may help with pain as well.
    Piglet turned 16 in December, 2007. She slowed down quite a bit early in the year, taking shorter walks at a slower pace. We tried shock wave therapy in August and September, which has helped a little, letting her take longer walks (usually 45 minutes to an hour, with occasional longer walks up to 2 hours, which she had not done for six months prior to the therapy), and sometimes at a trot rather than her usual walk. She remains quite healthy. She currently takes Arthroplex (source of glucosamine, green-lipped mussel, DLPA, boswellia, bromelain and vitamin C), fish oil, turmeric, SAM-e, vitamin E, as well as alternating between the herbal Senior Blend and Alfalfa/Yucca blend (both from Animal’s Apawthecary). In addition, she takes Metacam, and I give her one dose of Tramadol in the morning to help with walks (I would give more but have to be cautious about combining it with Zoloft, which she gets for her generalized anxiety disorder). I also began giving her amantadine a couple of months ago, which is supposed to enhance the effects of other pain medications; I'm not sure if it's made any difference or not. I was able to get it in liquid form thru Costco (needed in order to get the correct dosage, as the pills are too high). Zoloft (sertraline) may help with pain as well. I should also note that I have gradually decreased the amount she is fed and the amount of fat in her diet as her exercise level has decreased to help her maintain her body weight at 34 lbs.
    July, 2008: Piglet is now 16 1/2, an amazing age for a Shar-Pei. She remains quite healthy and still enjoys her walks, but continues to be very slow. I've decided to try Pulsed Signal Therapy (PST) in the hopes that it will help her be able to go further. I stopped giving Piglet Arthroplex, as she has high blood pressure and the DLPA it contains can make that worse -- her kidneys and heart are fine, but she has some corneal degeneration and pigmentary keratitis that interfere with her vision, and I was afraid that she might blow out her retina due to the high blood pressure (she's also now on blood pressure medication). I first tried Dasuquin as a replacement, but she seemed a little worse on that, so I switched to Sea Mussel Plus and I've been happy with that. I also added three anti-inflammatory supplements in the hopes it might make enough difference that she would not need PST, but no such luck -- she may be a little better, but not a lot. The new supplements I added were Microlactin, Boswellia, and a combination Bromelain and Quercetin (I get all of these, including Sea Mussel Plus, at vitacost.com). That's in addition to her usual supplements of fish oil, turmeric (curcumin), SAM-e,CoQ10 and a multi-vitamin, and her usual medications, Metacam and Tramadol. Piglet starts PST next week, going every day for 9 consecutive days. I will update this site if I notice any improvement.
    October, 2008: Piglet has continued to be quite lame. The pulsed signal therapy (PST) did not help her at all. I tried switching her from Metacam to Previcox, which seemed to help but upset her stomach. I then tried prednisone, which helped a lot, but not being sure it was necessary, I tried another new NSAID, Zubrin. This one she tolerated well, but she returned to being quite lame. I've since switched her back to prednisone, which she is likely to remain on for the rest of her life. At almost 17, I don't have major concerns about its long term effects. Her dosage is every other day, which is also supposed to decrease side effects. Note that I kept her off all drugs for 72 hours in between each change in medication, as it's dangerous to switch from one NSAID to another, or to pred, too quickly.
    January, 2009: Piglet is now 17. She is doing well on the prednisone; although still favoring her right elbow, she is able to take long walks again, averaging around an hour a day, though she is very slow. I have discontinued all her other supplements, as it's unlikely that any natural anti-inflammatories would add anything over and above what prednisone provides, and she's developed some digestive problems that seem to do better when she's not getting supplements.
    March, 2009: Piglet is gone. She went downhill sharply in the last few weeks of her life, developing dementia and unable to cope with her limited vision. She was still mobile to the end, though very slow. She had a wonderful life, far longer than I ever dreamed when she was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia at a year old. Her condition helped me find the path to a natural diet and supplements, and to learning more about dog health and nutrition. She will always be in my heart.
    From the age of 7 to 11, Piglet was in better shape with no medications than she had been at a younger age, and she did not slow down much at all. At age 11 1/2, her left elbow became quite a bit worse, and she began slowing down. In general, she has been very active and fit, but our walks decreased from an hour a day, to half an hour a day, down to 15 minutes on bad days, at age 12 1/2. She then improved again (I think she had injured her left elbow and it gradually got better), and at age 13, she went back to about 45 minutes a day. At age 14, following surgery to remove a small tumor, she began taking longer walks than ever. She slowed down again at age 15, but then gradually improved following shock wave therapy. Moderate exercise is good for dogs with arthritis, as long as you don't overdo it (tired muscles make for lax joints, which is not good).

disagree
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tees and Pees for Piglet.