Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2021 Signing Day Thread

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This is a complete shitshow. The class sucks, and the presentation is somehow worse. What a fucking joke.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

This is a complete shitshow. The class sucks, and the presentation is somehow worse. What a fucking joke.

No offense to Jermaine but those shots of him in the players' jerseys look terrible. Somehow these signing announcements have gotten progressively worse over the last few years.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    You expected better in this economy?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doog take: I haven't followed the class that closely this year, and I'm not suicidal over a perceived lack of quality. Not after last season completely broke me.

Maybe I've got the numbers wrong, but my perception is that the higher the "blue chip ratio" got, the shittier the team's play and record, ending in last season's 4-5 dumpster fire with the highest blue chip ratio in the conference, a 5-star quarterback, and finally fewer "3-star weaklings" like BBK starting. It left me wondering if the SOC program was broken, as it sure looked like nobody was getting any better/stronger than they were the day they stepped on campus.

So fuck it. I don't care who they were going to get if those kids aren't going to be developed into big time players anyway. I'll take 12 Greg Gaineses if that's on the menu.

To me, it always came down to those few in-state (in this class) elite kids who are can't-miss difference makers. Egbuka and JTT were this class's Budda or Byron Murphy or John Ross, guys who can singlehandedly turn a game by making an elite play. Everything below those kinds of difference-makers seems to be more dependent on coaching and development than initial ranking.

So no JTT and Egbuka, and I'm just struggling to care about today. The rest will either develop into elite players (Gaines, BBK, Jones, etc.) or they won't, but it won't matter one bit without a few game-breaking players mixed in when facing a roster in the postseason that's full of Egbukas and JTTs.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Doog take: I haven't followed the class that closely this year, and I'm not suicidal over a perceived lack of quality. Not after last season completely broke me.

Maybe I've got the numbers wrong, but my perception is that the higher the "blue chip ratio" got, the shittier the team's play and record, ending in last season's 4-5 dumpster fire with the highest blue chip ratio in the conference, a 5-star quarterback, and finally fewer "3-star weaklings" like BBK starting. It left me wondering if the SOC program was broken, as it sure looked like nobody was getting any better/stronger than they were the day they stepped on campus.

So fuck it. I don't care who they were going to get if those kids aren't going to be developed into big time players anyway. I'll take 12 Greg Gaineses if that's on the menu.

To me, it always came down to those few in-state (in this class) elite kids who are can't-miss difference makers. Egbuka and JTT were this class's Budda or Byron Murphy or John Ross, guys who can singlehandedly turn a game by making an elite play. Everything below those kinds of difference-makers seems to be more dependent on coaching and development than initial ranking.

So no JTT and Egbuka, and I'm just struggling to care about today. The rest will either develop into elite players (Gaines, BBK, Jones, etc.) or they won't, but it won't matter one bit without a few game-breaking players mixed in when facing a roster in the postseason that's full of Egbukas and JTTs.

I’m sure some of these guys will end up being good.

But what’s more concerning is how we got here. I’m not seeing anything that makes me think this staff knows what the fuck they’re doing in recruiting.

Lots of red flags around closing ability, overall hustle, and just getting flat out beat by other programs for their targets.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

But what’s more concerning is how we got here. I’m not seeing anything that makes me think this staff knows what the fuck they’re doing in recruiting.

Lots of red flags around closing ability, overall hustle, and just getting flat out beat by other programs for their targets.
    Oh, I agree. I like the metric for success of getting the guys you want, regardless of recruiting service ranking. Sure seems to me they didn't most of the time. My hope is that the staff is as shitty at evaluation as they are at everything else, and these second/third choice guysm are actually better than their first choices!...
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,875
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Yeah, I dont hate this group of players as much as I hate how they got here. Any of these guys could develop into a really good player. In fact,, I like Vince Nunnely, Peihopo, and Berry much more than most of the lower-ranked guys we brought in under Sark.

The problem is the total mismanagement and lackadaisical approach to recruiting that we saw take place, especially once COVID hit. I think Jimmy wanted to be aggressive on recruiting but once things shut down, his reaction was "lets wait it out" and took about 3 months off of recruiting. The big boys kept recruiting and by the time Jimmy realized that he should have kept on it, it was too late and they just ended up having to try to salvage the class.

My hope is that he can change shit up next year but I dont like the early optics. We have a top-flight WR in but it looks like we're already gonna start taking 3-star, layup guys for our next few recruits. Cant have 2 bad classes in a row
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oh, I agree. I like the metric for success of getting the guys you want, regardless of recruiting service ranking. Sure seems to me they didn't most of the time. My hope is that the staff is as shitty at evaluation as they are at everything else, and these second/third choice guysm are actually better than their first choices!...
    Voi, Peihopa, Spears, and Moore are the 3* guys who appear to be at the top of their offer lists so that's a silver lining.

I honestly don't hate any of our commits, even the guys at the bottom of the rankings like Nunley, Finau, and Wyrsch. The problem is getting blown out on the elite recruits, completely whiffing at DB and TE despite our NFL success at those positions, and the continued dumpster fire at ILB. A year from now Lake either needs to be signing a top 15, majority blue chip class or revamping the entire coaching staff a la Sark in 2012.
    If Jimmy doesn't have a top15 class next year coupled with this years group, than he has done the opposite of stacking classes and can blow his staff up all he wants, but in 4 years it's not going to matter.

Enjoy fighting Cal to be 3rd behind Oregon and Stanford in the North, let alone trying to win the Pac-12 or even more which would be pipe dreams.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    If Jimmy isn't winning with highly rated recruits, he will definitely win with shitty recruits.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Patrick Mahomes may disagree
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited December 2020

If Jimmy isn't winning with highly rated recruits, he will definitely win with shitty recruits.

3 and 1 baby

I still say it would have been HARD for the anal retentive Petermen to do that well this year
    Disagree, it would have been the same record. But worse implications.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Kim's new excuse is that "big boys lose out on recruits to other big boys all the time". Of course he leaves out the fact the big boys replace those recruits with other blue chips instead of falling back on Plan D's like Lake did.