Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Whose legacy has the most to gain with a title this year, Lebron or Duncan?

2»

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    NHL apologists need to diaff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Not an apologist at all but if you can't recognize how they are TUFFER than Pat Hill TUFF! I can't help you.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

So we are discounting his loss to the spurs in 2007 but also his win in 2013? Shit Steve Sarkisian is impressed with your dealing with hypotheticals there.

Well, hypothetically he is.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

NHL fans don't need to apologize.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,842
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

LeBron. Another championship helps LeBron keep moving up the ladder of all time greats. LeBron needs every championship he can get to catch Magic and Jordan on the all time lists. Not to mention, he's already lost two times in the Finals, although the one with Cleveland doesn't really count. 3 losses before 30 might end up hurting, especially considering he will most likely lose another at some point before his career is over.

A championship for Duncan won't do as much. He will still be ranked behind Russell, Kareem, and Wilt for big guys. I think as time goes on, Duncan will become even more underappreciated than he already is. He wasn't flashy, didn't put up outrageous scoring numbers (averaged 25.5 once, next highest was 23.3), played in San Antonio, and was part of a consistently outstanding basketball team, but they weren't necessarily a dynasty considering they never won back to back titles. He's already cemented himself as the greatest PF of all time (even though he's always been the crunch time C except for a few years with David Robinson).

I'm sort of nitpicking, but the Spurs won in 2003, 2005 and 2007. I definitely put them up against the Lakers and Celtics of the 80s, when you throw in 1999. I'd say they had a dynasty going.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

LeBron. Another championship helps LeBron keep moving up the ladder of all time greats. LeBron needs every championship he can get to catch Magic and Jordan on the all time lists. Not to mention, he's already lost two times in the Finals, although the one with Cleveland doesn't really count. 3 losses before 30 might end up hurting, especially considering he will most likely lose another at some point before his career is over.

A championship for Duncan won't do as much. He will still be ranked behind Russell, Kareem, and Wilt for big guys. I think as time goes on, Duncan will become even more underappreciated than he already is. He wasn't flashy, didn't put up outrageous scoring numbers (averaged 25.5 once, next highest was 23.3), played in San Antonio, and was part of a consistently outstanding basketball team, but they weren't necessarily a dynasty considering they never won back to back titles. He's already cemented himself as the greatest PF of all time (even though he's always been the crunch time C except for a few years with David Robinson).

I'm sort of nitpicking, but the Spurs won in 2003, 2005 and 2007. I definitely put them up against the Lakers and Celtics of the 80s, when you throw in 1999. I'd say they had a dynasty going.
    They never repeated but I think 3 titles in 5 years with two heart breaking playoff losses in there is a dynasty. The run that they are on now rivals the 49ers 1981-1998 run of sustained excellence.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Duncan for sure. The Big Fundamental would basically assert himself as the greatest PF of all time. Getting that 5th ring, over the time he's done it, would make it impossible for people to ignore.

If Bron doesn't get the 3 peat this year, he'll still have a chance at another one or two. Lebron's build and durability makes me think this is a guy who is going to play at a high level into his 40s. A loss in this finals won't mean much if he dominates for the next ten years.

They've been saying it for years, but Duncan's clock has run out. It's too hard to get into this position with the emerging young talent. He needs to cash in this opportunity because it most likely will be his last.

The only players to play well into his 40s were centers (like Kareem) and MJ. Kareem slowed down tremendously heading into his 40s and MJ took off multiple years before his 40s.

The odds that LBJ plays into his 40s is very low and even if he does, the odds of him playing at a high level goes way down.
    Jordan retired two months after he turned 40. Great take otherwise.
    But still.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    TheGlove said:

NOGAFATNBA

Says the guy poasting on the NBA Hot Talk bored.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,842
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited June 2014

They never repeated but I think 3 titles in 5 years with two heart breaking playoff losses in there is a dynasty. The run that they are on now rivals the 49ers 1981-1998 run of sustained excellence.
    They've also been really good since about 1990. those teams with David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson, and Vinny Del Negro always won at least 50 games. I'm too lazy to look it up but I bet they have the best winning percentage since then. I don't know, the Lakers might be better. Can their owners by the Mariners please?!
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,488
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

They've also been really good since about 1990. those teams with David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson, and Vinny Del Negro always won at least 50 games. I'm too lazy to look it up but I bet they have the best winning percentage since then. I don't know, the Lakers might be better. Can their owners by the Mariners please?!
    But can those owners shit out a new nintendo system with M's logo on it?!?
  • Options
    dnc said:

TheGlove said:

NOGAFATNBA

Says the guy poasting on the NBA Hot Talk bored.
    NBA Hot Talk and Other Boring Shit

Case. Rested.