Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Apparently there's a basketball game going on

2»

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

I'm guessing Jen is happy to wait until March 31st to cut ties with Hop. His buyout falls from $6m to $3m at that point. Considering the sharp decline in all sports revenue for the year, I suppose this is the ideal year for him to just tank and cement the need to fire his ass after the season. Frankly I don't even care enough to diagnose why or how this all happened so fast. It sure seems incredibly unprecedented for a conference coach of the year to completely implode the program like this with the pace he's done it at. Maybe those of you with a pulse on CBB history can point to a few other examples of this happening, because I'm definitely coming up empty.

Whatever. Just tune the fuck out this season, and start over new with someone else. The fact that there's literally no silver lining, be it player or recruit, to hang onto makes it all the easier to wipe the slate clean.

I have zero confidence we’ll shitcan him after the year.

UWMBB history is littered with coaches who were kept far behind the point it was obvious they weren’t the guy.
    Maybe I'm giving Jen too much credit, but I would be shocked if he stays after this year, barring any kind of dramatic turnaround from what we've seen. Sample size is small, but this team looks historically bad, so any finish that's better than 10th in the conference would be a surprise at this point. No glimmers of hope on the roster, no big recruiting classes coming in, nothing to look ahead to.

You only save $2m by firing Hop in 2021 instead of waiting until after the '21-'22 season. Not even the most charitable of ADs could justify keeping him.
    COVID is going to provide all the financial cover and performance excuses needed.

I prey i’m wrong.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,096
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My theory is that when he put the house for sale it looked like no sports or money for the year.

Now its sold so.....

I'm guessing Jen is happy to wait until March 31st to cut ties with Hop. His buyout falls from $6m to $3m at that point. Considering the sharp decline in all sports revenue for the year, I suppose this is the ideal year for him to just tank and cement the need to fire his ass after the season. Frankly I don't even care enough to diagnose why or how this all happened so fast. It sure seems incredibly unprecedented for a conference coach of the year to completely implode the program like this with the pace he's done it at. Maybe those of you with a pulse on CBB history can point to a few other examples of this happening, because I'm definitely coming up empty.

Whatever. Just tune the fuck out this season, and start over new with someone else. The fact that there's literally no silver lining, be it player or recruit, to hang onto makes it all the easier to wipe the slate clean.

The only diagnosis I really have is the two years he won with were mostly experienced junior and senior Romar players like Crisp / Dickerson / Matisse and Nowell who was coming to UW before he got there.

Matisse made the defense work by virtue of being the best defensive player in the country and Nowell could get to the rim mostly when he wanted which kind of hid how shitty the offense truly was.

Hops recruiting & player development outside of landing the two 5 stars has objectively been bad.

2017 class - Hameir and Naz are essentially the same players as seniors they were as Freshman.

2018 class was horrible. Not a single decent player in the bunch. Jamel Bey might be ok that’s about it.

2019 class he banked on the 5 stars which we all know how that turned out. Battle and Tshonis are both pretty meh players.

Not sure we have recruited a decent big since Dickerson other than 1 and done Stewart and we can’t shoot - a great combo.

And he completely whiffed on 2020, Had to get transfers that had already more or less failed at other programs in Bajema snd Stevenson.

It’s not just on Hopkins, Dollar and Conroy are both really supposed to be the local connections and recruiters and other than Jaden they have been getting bodied left and right. It’s all bad really.

My Doog dad is already defending Hopkins, 2 Tim coach of the year!!!! Lol.
    Ty COTY POTD
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,058
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did he purchase a new house closer to the UW? I mean his son is enrolled and on the team. Funny how that works. He moved to a shit part of Bellevue, nice homes, I know, but getting in and out of is a bitch, and unless you're a horse rider (shout out to my Enumclaw dwags!) I can't think of a good reason to live over there. I honestly still doog for Romar, and that's mostly on history alone, but its a bit of an indicator when the former coach at Pepperdine would likely pack UW's shit in, with 'inferior' talent. Of course Ken Bone is on his staff so he gets all the credit. Boners.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Did he purchase a new house closer to the UW? I mean his son is enrolled and on the team. Funny how that works. He moved to a shit part of Bellevue, nice homes, I know, but getting in and out of is a bitch, and unless you're a horse rider (shout out to my Enumclaw dwags!) I can't think of a good reason to live over there. I honestly still doog for Romar, and that's mostly on history alone, but its a bit of an indicator when the former coach at Pepperdine would likely pack UW's shit in, with 'inferior' talent. Of course Ken Bone is on his staff so he gets all the credit. Boners.

Pepperdine beating the fuck out of UW would actually be pretty funny. Jim B would be electric on the Twitter machine.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,813
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don't really have a good sense of Hop's contract buyout because the extension he signed only shows what happens if Hop leaves on his own ... there's really no indication of what Hop would be owed if the University decided to terminate the contract (my guess is that they'd be on the hook for the balance of the contract).

If that latter understanding is correct, then really there's nothing on the horizon to indicate that Hop's leaving anytime soon ... and definitely not during the time of COVID.

I will say that the way that the UW AD is going after fund raising this year by not being "sport specific" takes some pressure off of the basketball program in the short term. At no point did I get asked about my basketball season tickets (I won't be renewing) or any kind of sport specific donations.

The decision to bring in transfers honestly I don't have a huge problem with. It's kind of par for the course for college hoops at this point.

The recruiting is pretty bad though at this point ... so at minimum Hopkins needs to find a way to make some changes to his staff because clearly the mix isn't working. And as it comes to methodology, Hop's got to show some signs of adjusting towards modern basketball. As it is, he's running a dinosaur approach and that's going to just get destroyed.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,813
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Probably doesn't matter with the recruiting (although I think a good chunk of last year's sabotage was Quade getting ineligible) ...

This roster is basically a bunch of dudes playing pick up ball against legit players with a plan
    Tequilla said:

Probably doesn't matter with the recruiting (although I think a good chunk of last year's sabotage was Quade getting ineligible) ...

This roster is basically a bunch of dudes playing pick up ball running a zone in the IMA against legit players with a plan

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,096
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I heard Dan Patrick say the same thing about Duke this morning. Said he watched some college hoops and it was unwatchable.

The usual suspects: AAU ball and one and done.

I'm not trying to turn back the clock and basketball is in a place where it no longer needs college ball and college fans know it. More money sooner for the players and if they get to a second contract more money over the life. Again, I'm not here to take that away.

But college ball is dead. If there is a star like Zion the talk is immediately how he shouldn't risk playing college ball
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I heard Dan Patrick say the same thing about Duke this morning. Said he watched some college hoops and it was unwatchable.

I'm not trying to turn back the clock and basketball is in a place where it no longer needs college ball and college fans know it. More money sooner for the players and if they get to a second contract more money over the life. Again, I'm not here to take that away.

But college ball is dead. If there is a star like Zion the talk is immediately how he shouldn't risk playing college ball

All it takes is a quick fix to eligibility rules, though. Let kids jump straight from HS. Otherwise they're locked in to college for a minimum of two years.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,967
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

The tourney for opening weekend is still great for tv and gambling purposes. Beyond that it’s really not a great product. Beyond me uw can’t field a consistent top 25 program in hoops though. Oregon and Gonzaga have figured it out. UCLA still can’t either though. It’s hard.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,778
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I see 5-23 like in '93-'94, but at least then, we knew we were going to suck and McCullough was redshirting or something
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I see 5-23 like in '93-'94, but at least then, we knew we were going to suck and McCullough was redshirting or something

I don't know who's on the schedule for OOC this year, but 5 wins after putting up 42 against UC Riverside sounds like a fantasy at this point. This team could be historically bad.