Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Favorite National Park you have visited

So I live in the outdoors wasteland of the Mid-South which has only increased my appreciation for places with real natural beauty. As such I'm a National Parks nerd and plan to visit at minimum all the lower 48 US parks before I'm fiddy with the others coming after the kids are out of the house (not paying to fly three kids to American Samoa so I can check something off my bucket list, yes I am cheap and pore).

I love the American parks so much that I recently purchased this piece of nerdery for my office. The stickers are the 18 parks I've visited so far (Hot Springs is the most recent edition). Forgive the shitty pic, I clearly CARE about this shit butt not enough to go back and get you guys a better pic.

I plan on hitting three Florida parks in June and then the 9 Cali parks and a few others the following summer.

So which NP is your favorite and why? Feel free to wry tin your thoughts on others.

Favorite National Park you have visited 37 votes

Yellowstone - BRB, Old Faithful
32%
Mad_SongreenblooddncPurpleThrobberBad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinCougzzGreenRiverGatorzLebamDawgEdwin_BambinoJoeEDangerouslyTXDawg 12 votes
Mt Rainier - DoogItUp.gif
8%
RaceBannonhuskyhooliganalopeciadawg 3 votes
Olympic - #TeamJacob or #TeamEdward?
8%
creepycougdfleaDoog_de_Jour 3 votes
Yosemite - We always loose to Cal
2%
TheHB 1 vote
Grand Canyon - Beavis and Butthead desert wanderings gif
2%
BennyBeaver 1 vote
Everglades - #GoGatorz
0%
Zion - ZTFMF
0%
Arches - In my day the rock holes were a fancy feast
0%
Glacier - Bobby Hauck and Jeff Choate KG
24%
Fire_Marshall_BillRoadDawg55biak1TurdBomberbackthepackLaocoönStLouisDawgFishpo31NorthwestFresh 9 votes
Other
21%
DerekJohnsonCFetters_Nacho_LoverSwayewhlinderAtomicDawgYellowSnowBleachedAnusDawg1to392831weretaken 8 votes

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Obviously limiting to 10 options means I had to leave off a few deserving ones like Grand Tetons, Rocky Mountain, Sequoyah, Bryce Canyon, North Cascades (highly underrated) and all the Hawaiian and Alaskan parks. Fup Vanilla!
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Been to most of these, Glacier was by far my favorite.

Glacier is gorgeous. All I've done is the Going to the Sun drive and only once since I was old enough to recall it and that as a teenager. I need to spend some real tim in the park.
    I damn near went with Arches but I've really only spent about two hours there. Dad and I snuck in real quick on on our way back from the Grand Canyon a couple years ago. The little bit i saw was spectacular. The road heading northeast out of Moab (on the east side of the Colorado river) that's just outside the park is gorgeous as well.

Wyoming homer. I assume @UW_Doog_Bot will agree.

I will say my first visit to the WY parks I was surprised how awesome the Tetons were since they get so little love compared to big brother up north.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,689
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mt Rainier - DoogItUp.gif
    Mt Rainier was a home game and I['ve been there a million times but it truly is spectacular

So is most of the list. I've been everywhere man except Zion

Mt Rainier was a home game and I['ve been there a million times but it truly is spectacular

My favorite experience in any park was at Rainier rather easily. One of my favorite moments of my life on a hike with Pops at sunset at Sunrise (TSB!).

No shame in taking Rainier, at all.

You got to see them in the glory days. Sadly, so many of these places have been overrun by mobs of tourists. You can't even drive a car into Yosemite Valley or Bryce anymore. Everything is on a shuttle bus.
    Before they were parks

Race was there!

You got to see them in the glory days. Sadly, so many of these places have been overrun by mobs of tourists. You can't even drive a car into Yosemite Valley or Bryce anymore. Everything is on a shuttle bus.
    Grand Canyon was the only one I visited that was chinsanely crowded when I was there but even that dwindled down quite a bit the further west you went on the shuttle. I haven't been to any of the western parks since 07 though except GC, Arches and Petrified Forest.

dnc said:

Glacier is gorgeous. All I've done is the Going to the Sun drive and only once since I was old enough to recall it and that as a teenager. I need to spend some real tim in the park.
    The hiking is amazing. We went on an 10 mile round trip hike to a Glacial Lake that was the most stunning thing I have ever seen.

My dad is a bit a finicky guy I guess and we obsessed with bear spray the entire time we were there. He kept the bear spray canister in a holster thing around his waist. So we get this lake and I hear something that sounds like a gun shot. I turn around and my dad’s shorts are just covered in red. I thought he got shot because he was screaming in pain. Well it turns out my dad bent over to sit on a rock and somehow accidentally triggered the bear spray canister. It exploded all over his shorts and balls. I’ve never seen a man run faster into freezing cold water in my life. He had to hike the 5 miles back to our car, complaining the entire way of course. It got all over his junk, I can’t imagine how painfully that would be. He smelled of hot peppers for a week and had red spots all over his legs for 2 months. That’s my favorite family vacation by far. CSB.
    T's and P's for old man Fudgie's junk. This should be a scene out the next National Lampoon's Vacation movie.
    I just think it's awesome backpack's dad got fucked by not using a backpack.

Like @dnc, I'm chintrigued and fascinated by the national parks. Mrs Nacho plan to drive to some in 2021 (we'd fly but it's really embarrassing to have to ask for two seat belt extenders).

I think I've been to 4: Rainier, Olympic, Rocky Mountain there's at least 1 more. Rocky Mountain wins because my wife's cousin goes into the bathroom which is really just a permanent honey bucket (FREE PUB for Honey Bucket Butt Fuck! @DerekJohnson RIP @DeLarry) and proceeds to drop her cell phone in the toilet. She then comes out and asks the Park Ranger if there's a way to get it out. He just stared at her.

Crater Lake?
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Would’ve considered voting for Grand Teton but here we are. Glacier and it’s not even close. Yellowstone is spectacular but overrun with tourists. I always root for the wildlife to kill/maim as many as possible. Actually I think that holds true for outside of national parks, too.