Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2020]

Comments

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,101
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

I didn't look at roster or anything this hear so this was new to me. Jimmy says ZTF is 280? Bloody hell.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:
    But I thought the sam/buck was not a DL position. I heard we play a 2-4-5. Perhaps the bored could debate this and clarify so we all understand and can get to the bottom of this.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:
    It’s almost like he’s a sophomore in his 3rd start. LIPO assholes.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,116
    Founders Club
  • Options

I didn't look at roster or anything this hear so this was new to me. Jimmy says ZTF is 280? Bloody hell.
    Measurables.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Lake said that Stanford is the only team that they're preparing for this week. Expects game to be on.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Lake said that Stanford is the only team that they're preparing for this week. Expects game to be on.
    Also expected Cal to be on. Ups & downs, things change all the tim.

There's no game until kickoff.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Quick note on offensive line:

Through 3 games UW has averaged 196 yards rushing at a 4.8 clip. The 26 attempts for just 88 yards (3.4 per carry) against Utah is a massive ding, but Utah has a stingy run defense every year and JonDon wasn't doing any favors with the stubborn runs into the stacked box.

Most importantly, just 1 sack on the season, which was a Morris run out of bounds. So the offensive line that has 3 new starters and 2 starters that switched positions has been quite effective. Morris has had a typically clean pocket most drop backs and the line has played quite well in the run game.

Most of note is the strange blocking scheme of the last few years is gone. Huff has implemented a much more simple blocking scheme, and guys are crushing defenders on pulls, combo blocks, and are getting to the second level consistently.

I dig it.

Edit:

Obviously not just the offensive line. RB have been great at blitz pickup, and it can’t be understated how incredible Morris has been in the pocket. He steps up, moves around, and doesn’t panic and run around and cause a sack. Also, he gets rid of the ball quickly so the line doesn’t have to hold their blocks forever.

Another blocking area to improve on is turning upfield. Several times guards or TEs would trap or pull to kickout the last man on the LS only to find that Utah player would rush upfield effectively taking themselves out of the play. Rather than recognizing that, Otton or others would chase that defender looking to block rather than leaving them and turning upfield. Small nit but that turns something out of nothing on a few of those runs off of LT.