Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Official HH Book Club List

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Shoutout to @YellowSnow for reco on this. Love TR and book delivers. However, listening to it during this election week was kinda sad.

You can comfort yourself know around half the country hated Ted and the campaign was dirty. Time cleanses

Abe Lincoln faced a country of Mike Damones and some of the lowest campaign materials you can find

We? have always been us
    Lincoln was right to suspend the writ of habeus corpus and lock up @MikeDamone

But @RaceBannon Ted did win 56.4% to 37% in 1904. He was popular enough to get the last spot on KKK Mt Rushmore.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Shoutout to @YellowSnow for reco on this. Love TR and book delivers. However, listening to it during this election week was kinda sad.

You can comfort yourself know around half the country hated Ted and the campaign was dirty. Time cleanses

Abe Lincoln faced a country of Mike Damones and some of the lowest campaign materials you can find

We? have always been us
    Election of 1800 was really dirty.

https://youtu.be/TCwHzmA9jNQ
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    Take it to the Tug guysm
    Standard Supporter

For @HHusky

Now I’m ready to update the list.
    Real talk, I own that book.
    Standard Supporter

Breezed through this over weekend. Ironically, Sheryl includes many anonymous sources within media industry in the book. I can get why they’d want to be unattributed but it sorta undercuts the substance.

On the other hand, she’s got enough attributed sources, previously published content, and sound reasoning to make it very worthy of you’re tim.

Anecdote, she brings up something I knew but forgotten about: ‘Fake News’ was originally a Clinton campaign tag to go after conservative media before Trump co-opted it.
    Standard Supporter

The only tim I really see commercials anymore is during football season. The one that makes me chortle right now has the line, “You know who reads submarine books?” “My dad.”

Damn straight. This one isn’t some scholarly work but a compendium of first hand accounts of WW2 submariners. Two are about guysm who got left above decks when boat submerged. Best story was a crew that presumably hit a mine. 15 guys were thrown out of conning tower by explosion, 7 made it to an island.
    Swaye's Wigwam

The only tim I really see commercials anymore is during football season. The one that makes me chortle right now has the line, “You know who reads submarine books?” “My dad.”

Damn straight. This one isn’t some scholarly work but a compendium of first hand accounts of WW2 submariners. Two are about guysm who got left above decks when boat submerged. Best story was a crew that presumably hit a mine. 15 guys were thrown out of conning tower by explosion, 7 made it to an island.

USN Submariners >>> Kriegsmarine. We? actually cut off another nation completely from raw materials via submarine warfare.
    Standard Supporter

This one was disappointing. Don't remember much of it. The topic deserves better.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,682
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2020

Currently reading PT 109 and previously read a book on the Indianapolis. Fuck being in the Navy and surging your ship getting sunk only to float around in shark chinfested seas wondering if you’re going to live.

I'll never put on a life jacket again
    Standard Supporter

This was good. Half narrative, half light-military science. What D Days in the Pacific should have been.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    damn war imagery on this thread is heavy.

I like to read to forget about things that are in the daily news - love the historical war stories, etc. so here is one that explains the Dead, and how some dead heads also got to be the way they are

Standard Supporter

Broke from my old man WWII books for something different. I don't understand much of this, which is why I reading listening to it I suppose. This dude really likes him some blockchain and starts coming across as magical thinking a touch.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

I like to read to forget about things that are in the daily news - love the historical war stories, etc. so here is one that explains the Dead, and how some dead heads also got to be the way they are

I started reading this a few years back @LebamDawg . Got side tracked and need to re-visit.
    Standard Supporter

My affinity for complex-things-explained-in-simple-manner books is well documented. This is one of the better ones, and higher level. It gets pretty sciency.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    LebamDawg said:

Good book.
    Standard Supporter

Good chit so far. Of the mythbuster, what-you-think-you-know is wrong genre, which I enjoy.