Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Charting the game - Utah Edition

WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
edited November 2020 in Hardcore Husky Board
Some stats from yesterday's game. I charted all the plays from the game yesterday, and this is what happened. Note, I have only excluded penalty plays and the kneel down at the end.

Personnel
11 personnel - 69%
12 personnel - 30%
13 personnel - 1%

We ran single tight end much more than we have in any other game. Less Westover, Culp got a little bit of time, and I didn't see Redman get in the game at all.

Success rate
Passing - 45%
Rushing 26%

1st quarter - 22%
2nd quarter - 26%
3rd quarter - 53%
4th quarter - 44%

1st down - 36%
2nd down - 42% (this was a huge surprise to me)
3rd down - 33%
4th down - 50%

Rushing
Ran to the left side 39% of the time and to the right side 61% of the time. No runs up the middle this game.
We ran inside the tackles 70% of the time and outside 30% of the time

Note: a lot of runs were bounced in different directions, so I tried to assess where the run was supposed to go vs. where it actually went. To that point, Pleasant had a couple bad reads and bounced things outside for no gain when hitting the hole would have gotten him 2-3 yards.

Our success rates and stats for these runs were as follows:
Left-side outside the tackle: 20% success rate, 19 yards, 3.8 YPC
Left-side inside the tackle: 0% success rate, 9 yards, 2.3 YPC
Right-side inside the tackle: 25% success rate, 45 yards, 3.8 YPC
Right-side outside the tackle: 100% success rate, 22 yards, 11.0 YPC

Success rate by runner:
McGrew 14%
Davis 0%
Pleasant: 25%
Bynum 100%

Passing
We ran play action 4 times, or 11% of the times we dropped back to throw. 3 times on 1st down and only once on 2nd down. I know Morris checked out of the pass a couple times, but this is an abomination and needs to be rectified going forward.

Success rate with play action: 100% (see above)
Success rate without play action: 38%

Success rate by receiver targeted:
Otton 78%
Jones: 20%
Davis 0%
Bynum 14%
Nacua 71%
McGrew 25%
Pleasant 40%

Down and distance
1st down:
1-3 yards - 1 times, 100% rush
8+ yards - 27 times, 56% pass

2nd down
1-3 yards - 0 times
4-7 yards - 7 times, 72% rush
8+ yards - 12 times, 58% pass

We ran on 2nd down with 6+ yards to go 8 times and gained a total of 13 yards. 1.6 YPC is not gonna cut it on 2nd and long.

3rd & 4th down
1-3 yards - 2 times, 50% pass
4-7 yards - 7 times, 86% pass
8+ yards - 5 times, 100% pass

Comments

• Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Love to repeatedly bash my head against the wall

It might work next time!
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,993
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    TTJ said:

This team needs Ty Jones to figure it out. Immediately.

He won’t.
  • Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Houhusky said:

TTJ said:

Ty Jones isn’t ever going “to figure it out”

He plays like he thinks he is Mickens

I have more faith in Chin successfully grabbing a contested throw than Ty Jones.

No wonder spiked/osbourne parents are throwing rumors at the message boards, I’d be pissed too.
    Say what?
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dawgs206 said:

Houhusky said:

TTJ said:

Ty Jones isn’t ever going “to figure it out”

He plays like he thinks he is Mickens

I have more faith in Chin successfully grabbing a contested throw than Ty Jones.

No wonder spiked/osbourne parents are throwing rumors at the message boards, I’d be pissed too.
    Say what?
    Someone whose profile suggests they're the parent of a highly rated WR was complaining about Adams' WR rotation on Dawgman, I believe. It's in another thread somewhere.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For everything that he isn't doing catching the ball he looks to be dominating his blocks every time I see him in that position. I know we'd all like him to be going up for sideline throws but not everyone is going to be WR1. He is doing SOMETHING
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,585
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited December 2020
    every time we try to slowly unbutton the other teams' dress one button at a time in the first quarter, we wind up alone in the alley holding air ~ we need to cut that shit out ~ we simply do not have the overwhelming talent advantage.
  • Options
    @Woof Great analysis, as usual. This is why I joined this bored.

How many of the runs were toward the short side of the field? It always feels odd to me to run a play in less space, particularly if you're not having much success running it up the middle already.

How much of our? lack of success on running was due to lack of execution? Is the Utah front 7 that much stronger?
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2020
    There were 20 second-down plays, with an average of 7.75 yards to go so obviously first down was a problem, too. What shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone was that for the first time this season third down also was an issue, converting only 4 of 13 and facing an average of 7.9 yards to go.

I’d be curious to just how many plays on 1st and 2nd down Morris checked into a run. I remember hearing “kill kill kill” a lot and then a run into a stacked box right after.

On second downs, it was an even split of 10 passes and 10 rushes.

Morris completed 7 of 10 for 74 yards and an interception on second-down throws, and five of those seven completions netted a first down.

On the 10 second-down rushes, they gained 40 yards. McGrew ran for 26 on one run and Bynum had 11 on the jet sweep on the final drive. That means eight other second-down rushes netted a total of only 3 yards.

Jesus.