Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Fucking beat Oregon

Comments

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Duck fans, UW looks better than your team right now. No one has played anyone, but UW looks better.

So stfu

Short. Sweet. Accurate.

PGOS
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2020

Duck fans, UW looks better than your team right now. No one has played anyone, but UW looks better.

So stfu

It checks out

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,703
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2020

Gladstone said:

@creepycoug @dtd

You're missing my point. I thought I was even pretty clear in my post that conference champs are conference champs until they're not and I don't mind preseason rankings and whatnot.

My point is that, unlike in years past with networks sucking off USC or even heyday Oregon, it has just come across as really unnatural and forced this year. It's just weird. Like they're forcing the talking point well past when it makes sense to do so.

If I ask my nine year old son how his day was and his response is, "Oh, I went to school and did stuff and definitely didn't miss the toilet and piss all over the floor," I'm going to think, "Huh, what a weird thing to bring up right then. I think I'll go home and check out the bathroom floor and make that little shit clean it up."

I noticed this and tweeted about it, although I think it's mostly due to excellent marketing at Oregon and not some vast priapism conspiracy.
    Oregon is also a flash brand that was good in recent memory. It's the same but further removed for @creepycoug 's canes and it drives ratings if they can be good. The networks will have rosy takes for these brands and talk them up until they don't benefit from doing so.

The Doogs used to benefit from this once upon a tim but we did a fine job of destroying our own brand.
    There was a tim when this poast would have generated a 5 page Tequilla from me. Alas, I've grown out of that. [sure.gif]. Oregon has done well; built up from nothing. For that they have my respeck, and I've enjoyed that there are two legit programs in the PNW.

That said, flea pretty much covered it. They are both what the kids call these days "disrupters." Oregon changed a lot of things, but Miami did so even more fundamentally. There are things that are par for the course today that really started, or advanced, at Miami. And they drove the establishment people fucking crazy for a long tim. Their oft-copied "us against the world" routine wasn't entirely a routine.

The media was fucking brutal on them. Watch an old Miami game ... particularly one of the tilts against the Irish, and you'll see what I mean. Imagine the NCCA coming up with a taunting rule in your honor and naming it after you ... for shit that wouldn't be noticed in an SEC game today. Trump's got no bitch compared the old school Canes. Media fed the hate.

They changed college football and, more than anything, shoved inner city black culture down the country's throat. These weren't USC's acceptable, good looking, classy, "act like you been there" brown letterman bros. Nuh uh. These were black dudes from the hood going to a lilly white private school in Gables, putting the school on the map and issuing no apologies. Their own President openly hated their existence. Irvin, a much smarter dude than people appreciate, used to say at the time, "that's what we? do [celebrate] where we come from. we? don't put the ball on the ground. that's for you all."

3rd and 43 forever baby.
  • lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Everyone is pissed about the commentary in the broadcast.

The real anger should be directed at the polls. Is UW getting top 25 votes? We need you to pump those numbers up.

• Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Gladstone said:

@creepycoug @dtd

You're missing my point. I thought I was even pretty clear in my post that conference champs are conference champs until they're not and I don't mind preseason rankings and whatnot.

My point is that, unlike in years past with networks sucking off USC or even heyday Oregon, it has just come across as really unnatural and forced this year. It's just weird. Like they're forcing the talking point well past when it makes sense to do so.

If I ask my nine year old son how his day was and his response is, "Oh, I went to school and did stuff and definitely didn't miss the toilet and piss all over the floor," I'm going to think, "Huh, what a weird thing to bring up right then. I think I'll go home and check out the bathroom floor and make that little shit clean it up."

I noticed this and tweeted about it, although I think it's mostly due to excellent marketing at Oregon and not some vast priapism conspiracy.
    Oregon is also a flash brand that was good in recent memory. It's the same but further removed for @creepycoug 's canes and it drives ratings if they can be good. The networks will have rosy takes for these brands and talk them up until they don't benefit from doing so.

The Doogs used to benefit from this once upon a tim but we did a fine job of destroying our own brand.
    There was a tim when this poast would have generated a 5 page Tequilla from me. Alas, I've grown out of that. [sure.gif]. Oregon has done well; built up from nothing. For that they have my respeck, and I've enjoyed that there are two legit programs in the PNW.

That said, flea pretty much covered it. They are both what the kids call these days "disrupters." Oregon changed a lot of things, but Miami did so even more fundamentally. There are things that are par for the course today that really started, or advanced, at Miami. And they drove the establishment people fucking crazy for a long tim. Their oft-copied "us against the world" routine wasn't entirely a routine.

The media was fucking brutal on them. Watch an old Miami game ... particularly one of the tilts against the Irish, and you'll see what I mean. Imagine the NCCA coming up with a taunting rule in your honor and naming it after you ... for shit that wouldn't be noticed in an SEC game today. Trump's got no bitch compared the old school Canes. Media fed the hate.

They changed college football and, more than anything, shoved inner city black culture down the country's throat. These weren't USC's acceptable, good looking, classy, "act like you been there" brown letterman bros. Nuh uh. These were black dudes from the hood going to a lilly white private school in Gables, putting the school on the map and issuing no apologies. Their own President openly hated their existence. Irvin, a much smarter dude than people appreciate, used to say at the time, "that's what we? do [celebrate] where we come from. we? don't put the ball on the ground. that's for you all."

3rd and 43 forever baby.
    Yes, the noble freedom fighters of the U. Imagine having to never go to class, have Luther Campbell provide you with hoes, getting money for playing football, all while earning tons of media coverage, some of it not very flattering! Very brave stance.

BTW, taunting rules are still in effect and even more harsh than before. The Canes left zero significant cultural legacy, other than what NOT to do.

Stuck in very tough league too.,.

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can imagine at whatever the duck equivalent to HH is there is a post reading along the lines of "these idiots at HH think their is someone paying off the broadcasters to talk about the ducks" and having a good good laugh
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2020
    Canadawg said:

I can imagine at whatever the duck equivalent to HH is there is a post reading along the lines of "these idiots at HH think their is someone paying off the broadcasters to talk about the ducks" and having a good good laugh

What I want to know is if, at this hypothetical Duck equivalent to HH, there's a Husky subforum in which HowlingHusky and Ballz Deep legit discuss Washington football in earnest with zero self awareness or ability to read the room. IWILTK.

As for the rest, yeah, I did say paying off, but that was deliberately hyperbolic in response to how weirdly out of place the commentary has seemed this year.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Thats a real pandoras box. Why are there regular duck fans on here though? Am I missing something or is it as bizarre as it seems at face value? Don't get me wrong its fun mushing the quook posts and stuff but I don't get it from their point of view
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,703
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Gladstone said:

@creepycoug @dtd

3rd and 43 forever baby.
    Yes, the noble freedom fighters of the U. Imagine having to never go to class, have Luther Campbell provide you with hoes, getting money for playing football, all while earning tons of media coverage, some of it not very flattering! Very brave stance.

BTW, taunting rules are still in effect and even more harsh than before. The Canes left zero significant cultural legacy, other than what NOT to do.

Stuck in very tough league too.,.

Disagree.

And you sound bitter ... and naive.