Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jimmy Lake

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Jimmy really needs the 3 remaining games. I don’t think he’ll get them. Only @DoogCourics will be convinced by 2-0 & done.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

When he got took the job, I was nervous. Anyone who knows Jimmy knows he's cocky and stubborn, that's a trait that could be good or bad depending on the coach. But then he had his press conference and I got excited. He talked about being aggressive on the field and on the recruiting trail and I thought his energy was needed to get this program back on track and get them back to competition with Oregon. But then he made his staff hires which made me scratch my head. Keeping KB and Bob, two guys who are worthless on the recruiting trail and are average coaches at best didn't seem aggressive. Then he promoted Will Harris to DB coach, brought back Terrence, and promoted Cato from within, all safe moves. Then came the OC hire, after failing to bring in Kellen Moore, he hired an OC that had a laughable resume and someone who basically left for dead in the NFL. But I thought, maybe he knows something I don't so give it time and see it play out.

Then recruiting came and it went like I expected which is why I started saying I was concerned about recruiting in April when all the so-called recruiting insiders kept making excuses and kept saying let it play out. All the holes I thought they had with this recruiting staff showed up and what was most disconcerting was the lack of a plan with recruiting. We missed on almost every DB, got dominated by Oregon, and struggled to recruit instate. But I thought, hey maybe the product on the field will be good enough to mask those flaws but nope. The offense ran tonight isn't a pro-style offense because no team in the NFL is dumb enough to run this. This offensive style is outdated and easy to defend. Stacking the box, running the same play over and over, not stretching the field might work against Oregon State but it won't work again for the good teams. I thought Jimmy could compete with Mario and Oregon but I was wrong. Even if he did have an epiphany and realize his mistakes, the budget wouldn't allow him to fix it but sadly I don't think he realizes his mistakes. What I saw tonight is a coach who will be competing with Stanford for third place. Hopefully, I'm wrong and overreacting but sadly I feel we are back in the 7-8 win level like under Steve Sarkisian while Oregon is back to competing for Championships under Mario as they did with Chip Kelly.

Yesterday has us all fired up. But as someone else said, let's remember that Sark had games like that too. It's too soon to crown or dismiss. There were many people on Dawgman angrily calling me out in 2010 when Sark's Huskies had an impressive outing. I am much more optimistic today than I was 24 hours ago. And I want to believe. But LIPO.
    If you were taking about me I was being sarktastic.

Sark had an underwhelming game against this team at home in the rain in 2013 in year 5 with all of his guys in there. He had a few blowouts over Colorado and Cal who were historically bad at the time that year. And he got his ass kicked against Arizona on the road and lost to a shit tier beavlet team the a few years before.

He beat down Boise but so did Jimmy last year on a neutral field.

He did not break it off in mosster's ass in a difficult year to get guys reps with a brand new starting quarterback and no standout back.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

When he got took the job, I was nervous. Anyone who knows Jimmy knows he's cocky and stubborn, that's a trait that could be good or bad depending on the coach. But then he had his press conference and I got excited. He talked about being aggressive on the field and on the recruiting trail and I thought his energy was needed to get this program back on track and get them back to competition with Oregon. But then he made his staff hires which made me scratch my head. Keeping KB and Bob, two guys who are worthless on the recruiting trail and are average coaches at best didn't seem aggressive. Then he promoted Will Harris to DB coach, brought back Terrence, and promoted Cato from within, all safe moves. Then came the OC hire, after failing to bring in Kellen Moore, he hired an OC that had a laughable resume and someone who basically left for dead in the NFL. But I thought, maybe he knows something I don't so give it time and see it play out.

Then recruiting came and it went like I expected which is why I started saying I was concerned about recruiting in April when all the so-called recruiting insiders kept making excuses and kept saying let it play out. All the holes I thought they had with this recruiting staff showed up and what was most disconcerting was the lack of a plan with recruiting. We missed on almost every DB, got dominated by Oregon, and struggled to recruit instate. But I thought, hey maybe the product on the field will be good enough to mask those flaws but nope. The offense ran tonight isn't a pro-style offense because no team in the NFL is dumb enough to run this. This offensive style is outdated and easy to defend. Stacking the box, running the same play over and over, not stretching the field might work against Oregon State but it won't work again for the good teams. I thought Jimmy could compete with Mario and Oregon but I was wrong. Even if he did have an epiphany and realize his mistakes, the budget wouldn't allow him to fix it but sadly I don't think he realizes his mistakes. What I saw tonight is a coach who will be competing with Stanford for third place. Hopefully, I'm wrong and overreacting but sadly I feel we are back in the 7-8 win level like under Steve Sarkisian while Oregon is back to competing for Championships under Mario as they did with Chip Kelly.

Yesterday has us all fired up. But as someone else said, let's remember that Sark had games like that too. It's too soon to crown or dismiss. There were many people on Dawgman angrily calling me out in 2010 when Sark's Huskies had an impressive outing. I am much more optimistic today than I was 24 hours ago. And I want to believe. But LIPO.
    Fucking this

Yesterday was definitely a winning day for Jimmy ... if he can replicate that weekly he'll turn everybody into massive doogs.

My biggest concerns with him remain on the recruiting trail and what happens when we run up against a good tea and his in-game decisions become more impactful ... does he stay one step ahead or does he have some pants shitting moments along the way?
    That being said, we could easily come out flat in our next game and have a huge letdown like we saw so many times throughout Petersen's tenure. Gotta avoid that. I like Jimmy's cockiness. His post-game comments were a refreshing change to Pete's constant "we're still learning and we do our best". I think the team will feed off that and it could help them avoid coming out looking like they all have sticks up their asses. In terms of recruiting, im not as worried if we continue to win. I've been a huge critic of our recruiting efforts this year but I do think there is some truth to players wanting to see what Jimmy would do as a HC.
    These are two really big points

It's fine to point out where there are areas to improve, etc. like Pete would willingly do ... but you also need to go out and reinforce positive behaviors as they happen. It's also one thing for those things to happen behind closed doors and another for those things to happen publicly. Let's not sugar coat that players want to get positive press and they know about it whether it's admitted or not. It's so important to hear the same consistent message. Low key this is an area that could really help in recruiting down the road.

The recruiting side of things this year it's no doubt fair to say that by and large Pete's got his ass handed to him a bit. Some of it was totally within their control and when you look at some of the coaches on staff and their reputation as being average at best recruiters. The part that Jimmy couldn't control was the arguments being used about him being a first time head coach and how ill prepared he was by hiring JonDon. Without being able to get kids on campus to see the program from the inside, watch practices, etc. When you're able to watch the games and see all levels of the offense succeed and then on defense just watch what happens on a laughable level.
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 3,967
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Is it time for Jimmy to retire? Always good to go out on a high note.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Fucking this

Yesterday was definitely a winning day for Jimmy ... if he can replicate that weekly he'll turn everybody into massive doogs.

My biggest concerns with him remain on the recruiting trail and what happens when we run up against a good tea and his in-game decisions become more impactful ... does he stay one step ahead or does he have some pants shitting moments along the way?
    That being said, we could easily come out flat in our next game and have a huge letdown like we saw so many times throughout Petersen's tenure. Gotta avoid that. I like Jimmy's cockiness. His post-game comments were a refreshing change to Pete's constant "we're still learning and we do our best". I think the team will feed off that and it could help them avoid coming out looking like they all have sticks up their asses. In terms of recruiting, im not as worried if we continue to win. I've been a huge critic of our recruiting efforts this year but I do think there is some truth to players wanting to see what Jimmy would do as a HC.
    These are two really big points

It's fine to point out where there are areas to improve, etc. like Pete would willingly do ... but you also need to go out and reinforce positive behaviors as they happen. It's also one thing for those things to happen behind closed doors and another for those things to happen publicly. Let's not sugar coat that players want to get positive press and they know about it whether it's admitted or not. It's so important to hear the same consistent message. Low key this is an area that could really help in recruiting down the road.

The recruiting side of things this year it's no doubt fair to say that by and large Pete's got his ass handed to him a bit. Some of it was totally within their control and when you look at some of the coaches on staff and their reputation as being average at best recruiters. The part that Jimmy couldn't control was the arguments being used about him being a first time head coach and how ill prepared he was by hiring JonDon. Without being able to get kids on campus to see the program from the inside, watch practices, etc. When you're able to watch the games and see all levels of the offense succeed and then on defense just watch what happens on a laughable level.
    Yes. CFB is a constant battle of narratives 365 days a year and momentum comes and goes. In the absence of any positive momentum since the JonDon hire yesterday was a huge statement.

Bottom line, the most complete and dominant performance of any P12 team this year. Every coach in the league knows it.

Obviously UW has to keep it up. I really hope they do.