Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rittenhouse- you decide

Comments

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I understand why people strongly suggest the kid should have stayed home. I get it...less people would have died that night (probably), what if it was my kid, he was 17, etc...I totally get that.

However, as somebody pointed out (Race, I think?), what about the Revolutionary war? Should people have stayed home and not fought in that? How do we determine when somebody else should think something is worth fighting for? I can say that *I* personally would not have gone out into the streets with a rifle trying to protect people and property, but that's just me. I'm not going to judge somebody else for taking on a dangerous task.

These threads tell us which poasters will stand up and fight for freedom, and which won't.

Goddamnit I hate Monday morning quarterbacking, especially the blame-the-victim kinds.
    What have you done this year to fight for freedom? Examples please. Saying Kyle Rittenhouse made the right choice to show up in Kenosha that day on a college football message board does not constitute fighting for freedom.
    First of all, you're flat wrong.

But sure, since you asked. Researched policy and gave speeches at school board meetings, worked on political campaigns, organized and marched in valid protests, organized opposition groups to very bad, very damaging policies that affected tens of thousands of students and student-athletes in SPS, coordinated and led efforts to unseat corporate whores (all good Dems, of course) from the School Board, led cleanup efforts in my neighborhood, coached sports where I instilled personal accountability into my players - often to the chagrin of the "Trophies for All" crowd, youth leader for outdoor activities including training youth in shooting live pistols, rifles and shotguns, you know, 2nd Amendment stuff. Shall I go on, PissMan?

I retired from most of the above as my kids aged up and out, and I realized I could contribute more to most causes by writing a check than giving my time and energy. Rittenhouse had every right to go wherever the fuck he wanted, armed as he was, because in a free country, nobody gets to tell him what to do, and he was there to do good, not bad. And we need more people just like Kyle who believe in their country and are willing to put their ass on the line for it.

The kid's a fucking hero. Sad you can't see it.
    Good. You should be commended @TurdBomber . Seriously.

And as we've discussed at length, I was starting to fight my own battles (in person and over email) with Seattle Public School over BLM week in school and trans gender indoctrination in the 7 months we were in Kindergarten. But then we left, so I can't say how it would have played out for me in Seattle.

But I will take offense to saying Kyle isn't a hero = not standing up for freedom.
    You did the right thing by moving. I commend your willingness to relocate.

At the same time, your new town, like many other boomtowns in the Western US, has a lot of rich brats with too much time on their hands and the need for dangerous fun. Makes me worry about the impacts of the massive legalization that just passed in your state. Whatever you do, do not let your kids get bored or become followers of schmucks. Especially those fucking Cali ex-pats busily spreading their Liberal cultural diseases throughout the PNW.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I understand why people strongly suggest the kid should have stayed home. I get it...less people would have died that night (probably), what if it was my kid, he was 17, etc...I totally get that.

However, as somebody pointed out (Race, I think?), what about the Revolutionary war? Should people have stayed home and not fought in that? How do we determine when somebody else should think something is worth fighting for? I can say that *I* personally would not have gone out into the streets with a rifle trying to protect people and property, but that's just me. I'm not going to judge somebody else for taking on a dangerous task.

These threads tell us which poasters will stand up and fight for freedom, and which won't.

Goddamnit I hate Monday morning quarterbacking, especially the blame-the-victim kinds.
    What have you done this year to fight for freedom? Examples please. Saying Kyle Rittenhouse made the right choice to show up in Kenosha that day on a college football message board does not constitute fighting for freedom.

But sure, since you asked. Researched policy and gave speeches at school board meetings, worked on political campaigns, organized and marched in valid protests, organized opposition groups to very bad, very damaging policies that affected tens of thousands of students and student-athletes in SPS, coordinated and led efforts to unseat corporate whores (all good Dems, of course) from the School Board, led cleanup efforts in my neighborhood, coached sports where I instilled personal accountability into my players - often to the chagrin of the "Trophies for All" crowd, youth leader for outdoor activities including training youth in shooting live pistols, rifles and shotguns, you know, 2nd Amendment stuff. Shall I go on, PissMan?

I retired from most of the above as my kids aged up and out, and I realized I could contribute more to most causes by writing a check than giving my time and energy. Rittenhouse had every right to go wherever the fuck he wanted, armed as he was, because in a free country, nobody gets to tell him what to do, and he was there to do good, not bad. And we need more people just like Kyle who believe in their country and are willing to put their ass on the line for it.

And as we've discussed at length, I was starting to fight my own battles (in person and over email) with Seattle Public School over BLM week in school and trans gender indoctrination in the 7 months we were in Kindergarten. But then we left, so I can't say how it would have played out for me in Seattle.

But I will take offense to saying Kyle isn't a hero = not standing up for freedom.
    History will ultimately tell us Kyle Rittenhouse was either a hero that stood up to chaos or he'll be held up as the product of evil white patriarchal society who killed the founding revolutionaries.

There won't be any in between.

We'll learn about it in the Re-education camps or on the Trump Network Afterschool Special.

Throbber hyperbole is best hyperbole.
    Technically, @dflea on sativa is best.

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

At the same time, your new town, like many other boomtowns in the Western US, has a lot of rich brats with too much time on their hands and the need for dangerous fun. Makes me worry about the impacts of the massive legalization that just passed in your state. Whatever you do, do not let your kids get bored or become followers of schmucks. Especially those fucking Cali ex-pats busily spreading their Liberal cultural diseases throughout the PNW.
    Prescient. They permanently ruined Seattle.

Prescient. They permanently ruined Seattle.
    Somewhere, 6 feet below ground, Lesser Seattle's Emmett Watson is saying "I told you so."

Sometimes you gotta cut bait. Seattle's citizens get the governance they deserve.

While I'd prefer the politics of Central OR to be more like 20 years ago, I'm not too doom and gloom about it. Most if the "zoomtown" ex-pats I've informally polled seem to be fairly centrist as opposed to be willing vote for the Sawant of Bend. The high cost of living relatively to local salaries keeps out a lot of the shit head losers of Seattle you see dancing on I-5 on and getting run over. We had one silly "protest" over some ICE raids in this town and that was it.

Regarding bored ass teens - I've already met the hoops coach at the HS. Keep 'em busy with sports.
    Don't know if it's a good thing, or bad. But it's funny how you can spot the future juvenile delinquents hanging out at the Mill today. Kind of reminds me of Mill Creek, BITD.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Regarding bored ass teens - I've already met the hoops coach at the HS. Keep 'em busy with sports.

Yep. And rifles, rods and reels.

Bend is an awesome location. Your kids are so much better off there than in Seattle. I liked going to college in Seattle, but it's not a good place to be a kid, IMO.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sometimes you gotta cut bait. Seattle's citizens get the governance they deserve.

While I'd prefer the politics of Central OR to be more like 20 years ago, I'm not too doom and gloom about it. Most if the "zoomtown" ex-pats I've informally polled seem to be fairly centrist as opposed to be willing vote for the Sawant of Bend. The high cost of living relatively to local salaries keeps out a lot of the shit head losers of Seattle you see dancing on I-5 on and getting run over. We had one silly "protest" over some ICE raids in this town and that was it.

Don't know if it's a good thing, or bad. But it's funny how you can spot the future juvenile delinquents hanging out at the Mill today. Kind of reminds me of Mill Creek, BITD.
    I thought of you Bomber when our pumpkins got smashed this year. I’m gonna get those fuckers next year.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,463

Houhusky said:

Has there ever been an armed conflict in human history when atleast one idiot far away in his ivory tower didn't say, "well they were an idiot for being there in the first place"?

It was probably said about the "idiots" at Lexington, probably said about the "idiots" at the Alamo, and probably said about the "idiot" freedom fighters in France in 1940...

If only those people had just complied and left it up to the people in charge and let the trained military to the job for them, Im sure things would have turned out better.

On that note... A "no blood for oil" antiwar friend of mine (when I was still a leftist) once said about a friend of mine that had permanent ankle damage from IED shrapnel in Afghanistan; "He volunteered, he knew what he was volunteering for, he shouldn't have been there if he didnt want to be in danger."

I just don't see it in a paramilitary context.
    One side is operating in a paramilitary context and one isn't. Maybe that needs to change.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Has there ever been an armed conflict in human history when atleast one idiot far away in his ivory tower didn't say, "well they were an idiot for being there in the first place"?

It was probably said about the "idiots" at Lexington, probably said about the "idiots" at the Alamo, and probably said about the "idiot" freedom fighters in France in 1940...

If only those people had just complied and left it up to the people in charge and let the trained military to the job for them, Im sure things would have turned out better.

On that note... A "no blood for oil" antiwar friend of mine (when I was still a leftist) once said about a friend of mine that had permanent ankle damage from IED shrapnel in Afghanistan; "He volunteered, he knew what he was volunteering for, he shouldn't have been there if he didnt want to be in danger."

One side is operating in a paramilitary context and one isn't. Maybe that needs to change.
    IDK Sled. The Antifa fags aren’t going into the burbs or the country now are they? They know better.

If Portland won’t put down its riots - which could be done easily - then that’s on them. Conservative paramilitary action ain’t gonna save the city.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,463

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

IDK Sled. The Antifa fags aren’t going into the burbs or the country now are they? They know better.

If Portland won’t put down its riots - which could be done easily - then that’s on them. Conservative paramilitary action ain’t gonna save the city.
    There's a reason they don't come here!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Yup.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,761
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Kyle posted $2m bail, not bond...
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

They came to Idaho, got one whiff of the arsenal and GTFO out of there.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

They came to Idaho, got one whiff of the arsenal and GTFO out of there.
    They love community policing until they don’t.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020

Nothing I've read or seen in this story, which is a lot, has changed my mind that the kid shouldn't have been there. For that matter, no one should have been there. Protests are dumb. I don't care what your cause is, get out of the fucking road.

What my mind has been changed on, with @Swaye being the first making the argument, is how he handled himself once in the situation. He didn't fire indiscriminately and fired only when directly attacked.

People died in the street, not in someone's house. There must be a legal process. However, I hope that he is acquitted.

Big picture, I feel the country got lightly that there were relatively few of these incidents.

So I tell you yesterday I am taking a break from the Tug because the shit slinging is gay and unbearable, and you @tag me in this thread, which you know interests me BIGLY. Oh you devious and clever toilet. This is a VICTORY for perineums everywhere. Well played Grumble. Well played.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Nothing I've read or seen in this story, which is a lot, has changed my mind that the kid shouldn't have been there. For that matter, no one should have been there. Protests are dumb. I don't care what your cause is, get out of the fucking road.

What my mind has been changed on, with @Swaye being the first making the argument, is how he handled himself once in the situation. He didn't fire indiscriminately and fired only when directly attacked.

People died in the street, not in someone's house. There must be a legal process. However, I hope that he is acquitted.

Big picture, I feel the country got lightly that there were relatively few of these incidents.

So I tell you yesterday I am taking a break from the Tug because the shit slinging is gay and unbearable, and you @tag me in this thread, which you know interests me BIGLY. Oh you devious and clever toilet. This is a VICTORY for perineums everywhere. Well played Grumble. Well played.
    Huh?

@Swaye ?

Swaye said:

Huh?

@Swaye ?
    You killed @Swaye