Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your longest plane ride ever (travel dick measuring thread)?

Comments

• IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    While not one flight, I once went from New York to Austin to Atlanta to Mexico City to LAX to Seoul to Dubai to Amsterdam to New York in the name of pumping gas.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I think @swaye is gonna win this one though.

Nope. Hell you beat me. Longest single leg for me is LAX to Sydney. That said, it was 5.5 hrs to LAX from IAD (DC) with a layover. Painful.

One year, 2017 I believe, I did the IAD to Tokyo (15 hours just shy of LAX-SYD I believe) to Singapore and back flight THREE FUCKING TIMS!!!!!

It's 15 hours direct from Dulles to Tokyo, 5 hour layover, then another 7 to Singapore. It's 33 hours from home to hotel, and then do it all again in reverse 5 days later. And I did it 3 fucking tims in a calendar year. Lucky for me United splits that route with ANA, so at least on some legs I had hot Japanese geisha girls. Needless to say, I was Platinum 1K that year. I also did it all in lay flats in business class. Doing that flight back to back in coach is suicide worthy.
    Huh. I would have though one of the flights to the ME to kill bugs would have been up there.

Well, I'll take it!
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

My longest flight, now that I think about it, was Bellingham to San Diego. Was supposed to be about 2 1/2 hours, but instead the runway at San Diego was fogged in, so we circled until nearly out of fuel and then were diverted to Palm Springs. I didn't know this, but I do now: You can't just land a plane at an airport and unload. These transactions are negotiated in advance, so a surprise landing is kind of a big deal. We sat on the runway for two hours waiting for an agent from the airline to meet with the an agent for the airport to negotiate for fuel. Then, once fueled, there were more negotiations to figure out if we could get off the plane. After hour three--with a six year old and an eight year old to entertain in an aluminum tube--they let us get out and explore the now closed airport. No food available, no booze available. Couldn't rent a car and just drive the couple hours to San Diego, as the rental car desks were closed and the airline hadn't negotiated for baggage handlers to unload the plane.

After about an hour, it was back on the plane. The gate attendants told us they were packing it in and flying us to Vegas for the night. The pilot told us he was going to take one more shot at San Diego, which he did. Successfully.

Took off from Bellingham at some time around noon, landed in San Diego after 11:00. /csb

Sounds like there were some logistics involved in the whole episode
    Now you know where I'm coming from!...
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I think @swaye is gonna win this one though.

Nope. Hell you beat me. Longest single leg for me is LAX to Sydney. That said, it was 5.5 hrs to LAX from IAD (DC) with a layover. Painful.

One year, 2017 I believe, I did the IAD to Tokyo (15 hours just shy of LAX-SYD I believe) to Singapore and back flight THREE FUCKING TIMS!!!!!

It's 15 hours direct from Dulles to Tokyo, 5 hour layover, then another 7 to Singapore. It's 33 hours from home to hotel, and then do it all again in reverse 5 days later. And I did it 3 fucking tims in a calendar year. Lucky for me United splits that route with ANA, so at least on some legs I had hot Japanese geisha girls. Needless to say, I was Platinum 1K that year. I also did it all in lay flats in business class. Doing that flight back to back in coach is suicide worthy.
    What did you fly, and what was its fuel range? F15?
    F18

About 500-600 miles depending on how you throttled it. It is not known for its legs.
    You ever fly out of Whidbey?
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Fort Lewis to Nam

#stolenvalor

that must have been some flight back in the day. wow

• LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    5,440 mi Los Angeles LAX to Heathrow LHR
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272