Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your longest plane ride ever (travel dick measuring thread)?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2020 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
SFO to SYD

7,417 miles // 14 hr 55 mins

Comments

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    LAX to Hong Kong ... was back in 1994 and I was lucky enough to have a window seat on the right side of the 747-400 as it flew the famous checkerboard approach.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

LAX to Hong Kong ... was back in 1994 and I was lucky enough to have a window seat on the right side of the 747-400 as it flew the famous checkerboard approach.

I would have thought this longer than going to Australia. But is shorter by a couple hundred miles. People forget how much latitude is covered to get down to Sydney.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I would have thought this longer than going to Australia. But is shorter by a couple hundred miles. People forget how much latitude is covered to get down to Sydney.
    I knew it wasn't as long as SFO to Sydney. United has a Houston to SYD flight on the 787 at 20 hours and 24 minutes. Fuck that! It's got DVT written all over it.
    That's bonkers. 787-9 has a range of 9159 miles so they only have like 600 miles of reserve gas.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,471
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Kona. That's what, 6 hours?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2020

4,835 miles

Seattle to Copenhagen

Something is rotten in a dirty rainy afternoon in Denmark?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    Founders Club

4,835 miles

Seattle to Copenhagen

Something is rotten in a dirty rainy afternoon in Denmark?
    two-hour layover followed by a flight to De Gaulle in Paris
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,814
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I break my rule about non stop flights when it comes to going international ... 8-10 hours Max unless it can’t be avoided
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Seatac to Amsterdam, 4886 miles. Didn't sleep at all because planes suck.

Scariest was my first flight ever: Seatac to LAX was uneventful, but then LAX to Guadalajara... that's an awful short runway and steep approach.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2020
    10 and change, Frankfurt to Seattle, same for Paris-SEA. My 'Longest Day Ever" was SEA to Miami (5.5), hour-layover, Miami to Santiago (8.5). I get queasy thinking about it...
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I think @swaye is gonna win this one though.

Is in-flight refueling involved?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My longest flight, now that I think about it, was Bellingham to San Diego. Was supposed to be about 2 1/2 hours, but instead the runway at San Diego was fogged in, so we circled until nearly out of fuel and then were diverted to Palm Springs. I didn't know this, but I do now: You can't just land a plane at an airport and unload. These transactions are negotiated in advance, so a surprise landing is kind of a big deal. We sat on the runway for two hours waiting for an agent from the airline to meet with the an agent for the airport to negotiate for fuel. Then, once fueled, there were more negotiations to figure out if we could get off the plane. After hour three--with a six year old and an eight year old to entertain in an aluminum tube--they let us get out and explore the now closed airport. No food available, no booze available. Couldn't rent a car and just drive the couple hours to San Diego, as the rental car desks were closed and the airline hadn't negotiated for baggage handlers to unload the plane.

After about an hour, it was back on the plane. The gate attendants told us they were packing it in and flying us to Vegas for the night. The pilot told us he was going to take one more shot at San Diego, which he did. Successfully.

Took off from Bellingham at some time around noon, landed in San Diego after 11:00. /csb
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020

Nope. Hell you beat me. Longest single leg for me is LAX to Sydney. That said, it was 5.5 hrs to LAX from IAD (DC) with a layover. Painful.

One year, 2017 I believe, I did the IAD to Tokyo (15 hours just shy of LAX-SYD I believe) to Singapore and back flight THREE FUCKING TIMS!!!!!

It's 15 hours direct from Dulles to Tokyo, 5 hour layover, then another 7 to Singapore. It's 33 hours from home to hotel, and then do it all again in reverse 5 days later. And I did it 3 fucking tims in a calendar year. Lucky for me United splits that route with ANA, so at least on some legs I had hot Japanese geisha girls. Needless to say, I was Platinum 1K that year. I also did it all in lay flats in business class. Doing that flight back to back in coach is suicide worthy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Nope. Hell you beat me. Longest single leg for me is LAX to Sydney. That said, it was 5.5 hrs to LAX from IAD (DC) with a layover. Painful.

One year, 2017 I believe, I did the IAD to Tokyo (15 hours just shy of LAX-SYD I believe) to Singapore and back flight THREE FUCKING TIMS!!!!!

It's 15 hours direct from Dulles to Tokyo, 5 hour layover, then another 7 to Singapore. It's 33 hours from home to hotel, and then do it all again in reverse 5 days later. And I did it 3 fucking tims in a calendar year. Lucky for me United splits that route with ANA, so at least on some legs I had hot Japanese geisha girls. Needless to say, I was Platinum 1K that year. I also did it all in lay flats in business class. Doing that flight back to back in coach is suicide worthy.
    What did you fly, and what was its fuel range? F15?