Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Justin Flowe out for season with torn meniscus

NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
edited November 2020 in Duck Refuge
Explains why he didn’t play Saturday.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/11/oregon-ducks-freshman-linebacker-justin-flowe-appears-to-confirm-he-has-torn-meniscus.html

EUGENE — Oregon freshman linebacker Justin Flowe tore his meniscus and will miss the rest of the 2020 season, according to a member of his high school’s coaching staff whose message the linebacker reposted to Instagram on Tuesday.

The top-ranked linebacker and one of the top recruits in the country in the 2020 class, Flowe did not play in Oregon’s win at Washington State and was not seen on the sideline, though Ducks coach Mario Cristobal said he traveled but was unavailable.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good news is he can still redshirt if he was going to be here more than 3 years anyway

But probably not if he is that good. Two more years. Hopefully of REAL football and full seasons
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

Good news is he can still redshirt if he was going to be here more than 3 years anyway

But probably not if he is that good. Two more years. Hopefully of REAL football and full seasons

This season doesn’t count for anything IMO. A complete waste of time when both Oregon and UDub have some of their best players sitting it out.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Those short arms already causing problems.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Had to lift his leg up higher just to be able to reach his shoelaces with those arms m, and the meniscus snapped like an old rubber band. Hopefully he doesn’t visit Brandon Roy’s old doctor.

This sucks, since ILB Sampson Niu is taking the year off to focus on his PhD dissertation and conservation work in the Galápagos Islands, while ILB Dru Mathis has decided to wear lead cleats this season.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited November 2020
    I don't think this year counts towards the eligibility limit for any of the players. Free year to play or sit. Bumper crop for the 2022 NFL draft
  • flatusflatus Member Posts: 871
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Standard Supporter

I don't think this year counts towards the eligibility limit for any of the players. Free year to play or sit. Bumper crop for the 2022 NFL draft

Can players claim this year against their eligibility? I assume yes based on coroanal circumstances but close reading of rules implies that a player like Flowe wouldn't be eligible until the 2023 draft.

PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
    To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early.

• NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    flatus said:

Can players claim this year against their eligibility? I assume yes based on coroanal circumstances but close reading of rules implies that a player like Flowe wouldn't be eligible until the 2023 draft.

PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
    To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early.

That seems like old information. Penei Sewell has another year of eligibility, two if this was a “redshirt” year, and he’s draft-eligible. Flowe and Noah Sewell are both 2023 eligible, and Thibodeaux is eligible in 2022.
    Standard Supporter

flatus said:

PLAYER ELIGIBILITY

That seems like old information. Penei Sewell has another year of eligibility, two if this was a “redshirt” year, and he’s draft-eligible. Flowe and Noah Sewell are both 2023 eligible, and Thibodeaux is eligible in 2022.
    https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/#:~:text=To be eligible for the,the next college football season.

Perhaps this is an outdated NFL.com website?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    flatus said:

PLAYER ELIGIBILITY

All that matters is that a player has been out of high school for three years. This year counts as a year of eligibility. Applying for the NFL's approval as an underclassmen is just a formality that ensures the NFL knows a player is leaving school. The NFL won't be telling Flowe or anybody else they can't be drafted after three years.

But yes Flowe won't be eligible until the 2023 draft just as he wouldn't have been had there been a full season this year. He graduated high school in 2020 so three years = 2023 draft.
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

flatus said:

PLAYER ELIGIBILITY

All that matters is that a player has been out of high school for three years. This year counts as a year of eligibility. Applying for the NFL's approval as an underclassmen is just a formality that ensures the NFL knows a player is leaving school. The NFL won't be telling Flowe or anybody else they can't be drafted after three years.

But yes Flowe won't be eligible until the 2023 draft just as he wouldn't have been had there been a full season this year. He graduated high school in 2020 so three years = 2023 draft.
    Ok, thanks. Just clarifying the part about the "old information". It's copyright 2020 NFL so I think those are the current rules. The part about going into their last year of eligibility as an additional criterion was news to me but sounds like that just needs to be stricken from the rule altogether if anyone can petition for the draft 3 years out of high school, regardless of number of years left of eligibility, no? I spend zero time thinking about the NFL draft so you guyses that know lots of stuff about it are a yuge yelp.

Many thanks and I wish you a yours a very Merry Thanksgiving free of coranus viruses and other vermin that can infect various orifices and the like.