Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Challenger: The Final Flight (Netflix)

Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
edited November 2020 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
https://youtu.be/ILAeVAgqFV4

Excellent 4-parter about the Challenger shuttle disaster. I think it should be required viewing for anyone at Boeing. It’s a cautionary tale about how cutting corners.

For many Gen-Xers and Xennials like me this was our “where were you?” moment...like Race remembering where he was when Lincoln was assassinated.

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I sometims wonder how terrifying it was for @RaceBannon during the bubonic plague. This is why he laughs off Covid. The Vid is the Black Deaths bitch.

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Excellent 4-parter about the Challenger shuttle disaster. I think it should be required viewing for anyone at Boeing. It’s a cautionary tale about how cutting corners.

For many Gen-Xers and Xennials like me this was our “where were you?” moment...like Race remembering where he was when Lincoln was assassinated.

Please tell me this was intentional. If so, I want to subscribe to your newsletter. Gold, Jerry! GOLD!
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Race was doorbelling for Stephen Douglas
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I get that the Challenger disaster has more of a burned-in-memory significance, but Boeing definitely outdid this with the 737 MAX killing 346 people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/737-max-crashes-killed-346-were-horrific-culmination-failures-boeing-n1240192

DeFazio said the House committee chose to release the report following its 18-month investigation to “spotlight not only on the broken safety culture at Boeing but also the gaps in the regulatory system at the FAA that allowed this fatally-flawed plane into service.”

The committee's statement said its 239-page report, with more than 70 investigative findings, reveals “repeated and serious failures” by both Boeing and the FAA.

The report claims that Boeing made “extensive efforts to cut costs” due to financial pressure and refused to slow its 737 Max production line, jeopardizing safety.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    go back a little further and a repair to a pressure bulkhead on the tail section of a JAL 747 killed more.
    The details of that are disgusting. I knew some folks involved in that one.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What I remember of the Challenger going down was the inappropriate jokes that came out. You do not want to be working in an engineering department when tragedy strikes.

Similar to the humor on this site.

#TooSoon? is what I remember.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    LebamDawg said:

What I remember of the Challenger going down was the inappropriate jokes that came out. You do not want to be working in an engineering department when tragedy strikes.

Similar to the humor on this site.

#TooSoon? is what I remember.

Remember any?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Please tell me this was intentional. If so, I want to subscribe to your newsletter. Gold, Jerry! GOLD!
    Ha! Good catch. For my side hustle (you know, when I’m not at the brothel), I do a lot of proofreading and writing...so it makes zero sense I miss that kind of shit, but here we are.
    I wish all MY mistakes actually made things better.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,687
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Christa McAuliffe was an actual teacher as I recall. I just did a search of the crew and she was one of two women on board.

I was running Seattle ops out of a Sears warehouse in the SoDo district and actually watched it on a bank of TVs in a Sears store just like the movies
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    Was nursing a horrific hangover housesitting for my grandparents.

Having lived through MLK Jr and RFKs assassinations, didn’t shake me much. Assumed risk of the profession.

The second airliner into the tower left a much more lasting sense of grief and loss.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2020

Having lived through MLK Jr and RFKs assassinations, didn’t shake me much. Assumed risk of the profession.

The second airliner into the tower left a much more lasting sense of grief and loss.

I foresee this thread quickly being hijacked.

But I remember seeing the second plane hit while in the break room at work and I thought it was just a replay of the first plane. I must've asked about 15 people if it was a replay and nobody could get out any words. That entire day is burned in to my memory. I'll know when the dementia has set in when I forget the looks on everyone's faces as they watched the tv.
    The start of the first Gulf War for some reason was more emotionally impactful than either the Challenger disaster or 9/11. I was in middle school at the time and I watched CNN nonstop to see what was going on.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653

But I remember seeing the second plane hit while in the break room at work and I thought it was just a replay of the first plane. I must've asked about 15 people if it was a replay and nobody could get out any words. That entire day is burned in to my memory. I'll know when the dementia has set in when I forget the looks on everyone's faces as they watched the tv.
    The start of the first Gulf War for some reason was more emotionally impactful than either the Challenger disaster or 9/11. I was in middle school at the time and I watched CNN nonstop to see what was going on.
    That was kicksss TV. After growing up watching the nightly death count during Vietnam, GW1 was a welcome conquest.

Did the young @Doog_de_Jour discover her womanhood through fantasies of Arthur Kent, the scud stud?

• Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter

That was kicksss TV. After growing up watching the nightly death count during Vietnam, GW1 was a welcome conquest.

Did the young @Doog_de_Jour discover her womanhood through fantasies of Arthur Kent, the scud stud?

Awwwwww yeah.

Raawwwwwrrrrrrrr.
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

ISWYDT