Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2020]

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    BaldwinIV said:

Per insider dawgman poster, starting qb has been announced and Sirmon probably shouldn't be alone tonight

He was never going to win the job. Going into the offseason, I couldn't find one person within the husky program who thought he was going to win the job. He's just not a good QB no matter how much husky twitter tries to hype him up.
    holy fuck that's the stupidest thing i've ever read
    careful he might threaten to hurt himself again
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,484
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

Doogles said:

It really can't be understated how awful the offense under Hamdan was. They consistently put the D in shitty position after shitty position, it's amazing the D graded out so well.

I don't know if Donovan is good or not, but the bar for him to clear is pretty low.

We have athletes. Simplify the plan, move chains, keep the D fresh, profit. Letting the ballers ball will most likely upgrade offensive output more than any scheme change Donovan can bring.

O line is the biggest worry, i've yet to see a UW Oline perform well against an elite DL. Our ability to manhandle the little sisters of the poor is well documented, but can we run it down Oregon's throat in the 4th?

People forget we were ram-jamming it down Oregon's throat in the 4th before Pete shrivel-dicked and settled for a FG. People forget that.
    The reason Oregon is relevant again. That game. That fucking drive.

Then 2015 too. Worst offensive head coach in a conference that begs you to score 30+ a game.

Someone said he quit because of the Haener thing. No, he quit because his own coaching staff told him his offense was/is bringing the whole program down.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,307
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Jon Wilner is so stupid he actually said, "Yeah UW without their secondary doesn't really have many play makers."

lol dude. Do you know what defense we run? Do you know how we recruit secondary to our defense versus every other group?

'without their elite unit that singlehandedly wins them conference championships their defense isn't really that elite' No shit?
    Wilner wasn't so stupid last year. Was friggin' Nostradamus.

Doomed.jif
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    So all Cal has to do to know who to game plan for is pay $12.95?! Not buying it. Only way I can see this being true is either someone on the team let it out, in which case they are going to be in Jimmy’s dog house, or someone has entered the portal and started talking.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,099
    dOgmaster said:

So all Cal has to do to know who to game plan for is pay $12.95?! Not buying it. Only way I can see this being true is either someone on the team let it out, in which case they are going to be in Jimmy’s dog house, or someone has entered the portal and started talking.

Well, our starting linebacker’s dad coaches for Cal, so there’s that.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2020
    dnc said:

Per insider dawgman poster, starting qb has been announced and Sirmon probably shouldn't be alone tonight

He was never going to win the job. Going into the offseason, I couldn't find one person within the husky program who thought he was going to win the job. He's just not a good QB no matter how much husky twitter tries to hype him up.
    I’m truly gutted and feel sick to my stomach reading this.

No bullying you son of a bitch!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Jon Wilner is so stupid he actually said, "Yeah UW without their secondary doesn't really have many play makers."

lol dude. Do you know what defense we run? Do you know how we recruit secondary to our defense versus every other group?

'without their elite unit that singlehandedly wins them conference championships their defense isn't really that elite' No shit?
    Wilner wasn't so stupid last year. Was friggin' Nostradamus.

Doomed.jif
    Remind me his predictions the rest of the time. He's biased toward Cal and Stanford so it's not much different than reading fucking Jhop's predictions
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He has been pretty spot on for us for years if i recall. 2017 he predicted we would lose to Stanford and blow it which we did in the emphasis truck racer bowl. Year after that he said we would win the north and we did. He had Oregon in the north last year.

But still.
  • Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    FireCohen said:

BaldwinIV said:

i know you have a brand to uphold as the fob hemorrhoid of these forums but you shouldnt belittle mental health. hopefully he gets the help he needs.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

He has been pretty spot on for us for years if i recall. 2017 he predicted we would lose to Stanford and blow it which we did in the emphasis truck racer bowl. Year after that he said we would win the north and we did. He had Oregon in the north last year.

But still.

k well we'll see if Cal wins the north. He fluffs them and stanford like no other. I think picking Cal to beat UW and Oregon and/or win the North is an absolute shit bay area take. But that's just me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

But still.

k well we'll see if Cal wins the north. He fluffs them and stanford like no other. I think picking Cal to beat UW and Oregon and/or win the North is an absolute shit bay area take. But that's just me.
    I think Wilner's been doing this long enough to understand a few truisms like "a team without a proven quarterback typically struggles" and "losing most of your offensive line is a bad thing." These things aren't true every time, but you'll catch more than you drop if you just go with the generalities. Last year, he said Washington would struggle with new quarterback and new offensive line. He said the bay area schools would both beat Washington, and he said Oregon would beat Washington and win the conference. That doesn't sound like Bay area homerism, it sounds like fucking insight, because all of that happened. Including traditional Bay area power Oregon winning the conference.
    Whoop de fucking dooo.

One year.

We have metrics losers screaming at me still for me calling Oregon to destroy Utah in the CCG. It's one year.

He's a bay area homer. UW lost to Cal and Stanford because they shit their pants while fielding superior talent.

Fuck Pete for proving that dumb shit right.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    BaldwinIV said:

FireCohen said:

BaldwinIV said:

i know you have a brand to uphold as the fob hemorrhoid of these forums but you shouldnt belittle mental health. hopefully he gets the help he needs.

• Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Jimmy mentioned in an interview yesterday that he is an equal opportunity employer. And what he means by that is that he needs someone to step up and take the job. And just because he is named the starter, it doesn’t mean he’s going to stay that way. He’s had starters on the defense that get pulled after game 3 (Kyler Gordon for Trent McDuffie last year, Cam Williams for Brandon McKinney).

“Our coaches grade every practice and every scrimmage. Every game that we’ve had internally. We really lean off those. I tell the guys all the time, the film is going to tell us. Who knows the plays? Who can regurgitate the play in the huddle? Who can execute it? Who can see the coverage? Who can make a play when a blitzer is in your face? Who can get us into a good play? Who can lead the team? And all those add up day after day after day, and by the end of this week hopefully we are going to know who that is going to be. But it’s never final either. At any position it’s never final. This is a constant battle, it’s a constant competition. And everyone knows that on this team, that you can never sit back and relax because I’m the starter. No no no no, now is the time for you to perform.”

I know there is a lot of hand wringing about multiple QBs playing and sharing reps. But honestly for me, I like that Jimmy is bringing his philosophy from the defense over to the full team. You don’t start because you’re a veteran (Opera Singer). You don’t get to relax and be lazy because you’re the incumbent (Browning). You’re going to earn the job, and once you do, you’re going to perform or you’re going to lose it.

And if none of these QBs can do it, then you pick the best of the shits and you run the fucking ball and play amazing defense and The Chosen One takes over next year. ISHIT.
    If you don’t think that CP, one of the best coaches in college football, didn’t do this, I don’t know what to tell you. All coaches do this.

And that is with me being one of the biggest CP apologists in the site. I would say yes to this for the first half of his tenure, thus Browning and Pettis playing early, etc.

But last year for example: Nacua, Bynum, Ulofoshio. Guys who weren’t getting any run and then as soon as they do they are clearly the best player when compared to their veteran starters playing over them.

The only spot that wasn’t doing that was the DBs. Lake threw the freshman out there all the time.

And multiple times this offseason Lake has made comments about how the offense must be more simple and easier like the defense has been. Also that there is no reason young guys shouldn’t be able to grasp the playbook and play immediately, like the defense has done. And last but not least, that the best players will play no matter their experience or age.

Maybe it’s just confirmation bias because I’m looking for it (wanting a change from watching Baccelia and Manu), but to me these were veiled shots at the way Petersen ran his offense and personnel.
    This actually doesn't hold any water. Can you remind me who the DC was last year? JL could have started Ulo last year if he wanted to (or he could have told his buddy to do it). Both Bynum and Puka began to get PT as the year wore on (before Puka was injured). That's not uncommon.

Let's look at the top recruits in Puka's class (and let's be honest, Puka is not in their class).
    1. Nolan Smith: Never started but started to play more and more throughout the year.
    2. Kayon Thibodeaux: Only started when they lost a senior starter. Really came on throughout the year and became a stud.
    3. Derek Stingley: Best CB in the nation from Day 1
    4. Jadon Haselwood: Never started. Played more as the year wore on
    5. Antonio Alfano: Never started. Bust
    6. Trey Sanders: Missed the year with injury. Still not starting.
    7. Evan Neal: Started all games. Stud
    8. Zacch Pickens: Didn't start but did play more throughout the year.
    9. Bru McCoy: Didn't play
    10. Darnell Wright: Started but mostly at a position that's not going to be his long-term future.

Look, I'm not saying that our WRs last year were great, but unless they are absolute studs (Stingley, they're likely not going to start Day 1). People here wanted to play SPiker and Ausborn and those dudes haven't done shit and probably suck.