Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Richard "Fig" Newton’s ferocious running style is undeniably effective, but is it sustainable?

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

His nickname is "Dick", not "Fig" and hopefully his ferocious running style mirrors the ferocity of our former running back's lovemaking behaviors

i have always called him Fig
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    #7 for Oregon - what's his name - is similar. The kid runs fucking hard, but isn't quite built for it and gets dinged.

When I think of the perfect RB body for a guy who will take punishment, I think Ricky Williams. Just fucking solid muscle from head to toe, compact, 5'10", 230+ lbs. or whatever. Bowling ball of muscle.

If you ain't that, you need to not take unneccessary hits. Gaskins was a surgeon in that way.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

#7 for Oregon - what's his name - is similar. The kid runs fucking hard, but isn't quite built for it and gets dinged.

When I think of the perfect RB body for a guy who will take punishment, I think Ricky Williams. Just fucking solid muscle from head to toe, compact, 5'10", 230+ lbs. or whatever. Bowling ball of muscle.

If you ain't that, you need to not take unneccessary hits. Gaskins was a surgeon in that way.

I agree, Newton is tall with an upright, limb-swinging, running style. Just not built for a lot of hits.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I hope we don’t give all four RB’s 5-10 carries each. Pleasant sucks but reportedly is playing well in camp.

I really hope Newton and Davis are easily the two best and get the carries.

Yep. Ideally I'd like to see Davis as the featured back (assuming he's as good as everyone says), Newton for short yardage and when Davis needs a breather, McGrew as a pass catcher in space, Pleasant as a blocking back, maybe getting a couple carries a game or cath a pass or two.

I worry that they will alternate series between 3 or 4 of them and it will lead to wasted series of downs
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Gaskin was a fucking physical runner despite his size not sure how that works, but dude always kept moving people
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Gaskin was a fucking physical runner despite his size not sure how that works, but dude always kept moving people
    Gaskin is just one of those guys. He shouldn't be strong enough to keep body control after contact but he is. He isn't quick enough or fast enough, according to measurables, to dart around like a scat back or outrun people on the edge but he can do both of those things too.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    FireCohen said:

He was physical but avoided taking big shots. I can’t remember him ever getting blown up. He was very good at avoiding those big hits at the end of his runs.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

FireCohen said:

He was physical but avoided taking big shots. I can’t remember him ever getting blown up. He was very good at avoiding those big hits at the end of his runs.
    Yeah Newton was great in short yardage last year but wasn't a real breakaway threat. Hoping Cam is that guy who can bust a few
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

Yeah Newton was great in short yardage last year but wasn't a real breakaway threat. Hoping Cam is that guy who can bust a few
    dick was my favorite o player last year, dude brought energy and played with @Passion
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

dick was my favorite o player last year, dude brought energy and played with @Passion
    True. Witness UW's testosterone-free performance at Stanford after Newton got hurt.
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,004
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Who is that new RB from Texas we got... somebody here commented that he runs like a hunchback with a limp.

I want to see a one-two punch of him and Fig.

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't think Chris Polk lost a 1 on 1 his entire career. That dude always fell forward.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,865
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Who is that new RB from Texas we got... somebody here commented that he runs like a hunchback with a limp.

I want to see a one-two punch of him and Fig.

Sunday.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

I don't think Chris Polk lost a 1 on 1 his entire career. That dude always fell forward.

People forget he was about a buck-fiddy dripping wet when Sark's dumb ass put him in as a true freshman and got him broken in half. Post-rhino cum, yeah, that dude was big and tough.