Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I think people are dreaming if they believe this Duck team is going to win the Conference

SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Brand new O line. New QB, New O coordinator and a mostly new secondary. I don't care about how talented these newcomers may be, believing this team is just going to roll is pretty foolish.

Comments

• DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I’m a dreamer Bob. Who is better?
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    Standard Supporter
    Any team with more continuity. Teams that are able to execute due to the experience they have with the system they've been running. Ducks will be a better team by the end of the season but they are going to stumble coming out of the gate.

I want to be wrong but I just don't see them winning the conference. If they wouldn't of had any defections off the Defense I think the D could have carried them for the first few games but there will be some growing pains on that side of the ball as well.

With all due respect Bob let me push back a little bit Bob. 1st the OL.......of course it is a concern and yes they have a lot of talent. The last time I remember the Ducks replacing the entire OL was 2009. That was the year we lost to Boise State in our 1st game. That team came together, won the Conference, went 10-3, and went to the rose Bowl ranked #11.
    Standard Supporter
    DJDuck said:

With all due respect Bob let me push back a little bit Bob. 1st the OL.......of course it is a concern and yes they have a lot of talent. The last time I remember the Ducks replacing the entire OL was 2009. That was the year we lost to Boise State in our 1st game. That team came together, won the Conference, went 10-3, and went to the rose Bowl ranked #11.

Please do push back. Here's what I see. A new o-line isn't able to open holes for the running game forcing the new QB to throw more than they want to and they also aren't able to protect the qb in passing situations.
    As far as the secondary, losing Holland, Graham and Breeze I hurts. However we still have Lenoir and Pickett who started a lot of games. At the other corner we have Wright or Dontae Manning who really have more talent than Graham IMO but lack the experience. Hill, Stephens and Williams are going to be great safeties. Bennett Williams started as a freshman at Illinois and was named to the national Freshman All American team.
    At QB Shough is going to be good but he may not start

He is battling Anthony Brown a 3 year starter at Boston College

Here are Brown’s stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/anthony-brown-11.html
    edited October 2020
    Our defensive line is great and has probably the best DE end in college football
    And our linebackers are most likely the best group in cleve football. Tbere are linebackers on our team that would be starters a d stars on other power 5 teams.
    edited October 2020
    SFGbob said:

DJDuck said:

Please do push back. Here's what I see. A new o-line isn't able to open holes for the running game forcing the new QB to throw more than they want to and they also aren't able to protect the qb in passing situations.
    Other than Penei this OL is more talented than the one that graduated. It would have been nice to have a non conference schedule for them to come together as a group. It is what it is. We shall see.

BTW there are several of these linemen that have actually started for the Ducks at one time or another. 😊
    Standard Supporter
    DJDuck said:

SFGbob said:

DJDuck said:

Other than Penei this OL is more talented than the one that graduated. It would have been nice to have a non conference schedule for them to come together as a group. It is what it is. We shall see.

BTW there are several of these linemen that have actually started for the Ducks at one time or another. 😊
    They may have more talent but they have far less experience. Hope I'm wrong.
    SFGbob said:

DJDuck said:

SFGbob said:

DJDuck said:

P
    They may have more talent but they have far less experience. Hope I'm wrong.
    You’re right Bob

We do have the most experienced and successful QB in th PAC 12 by far though. 😁
  • dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 560
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I appreciate Bob’s concern. I have a lot of faith in the coaches and the culture of the program. That is why some programs perform at a top level with regular turnover.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020
    The Pac-12 sucks. That is why all.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I would say “dreaming” is an overstatement.

They’ve got as good a shot as anybody because the conference is garbage.

Every team in the conference has a problem.

O line is the key issue as you say, particularly in pass blocking, which really takes time.

On D, the Dooks are mostly right. But they’ll miss Graham, because he was a seasoned and smart corner. Wright is crazy talented and got playing time, so he’ll help a lot. Lenoir opted back in. You gotta hope neither of those two get hurt. They’ll clearly miss Dye, as well as Carlberg, the latter being somewhat underrated in my book. But they have a lot of talent coming back on the D line and linebacker.

Clear favorite? No. But who is?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,716
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

O line is the key issue as you say, particularly in pass blocking, which really takes time.

On D, the Dooks are mostly right. But they’ll miss Graham, because he was a seasoned and smart corner. Wright is crazy talented and got playing time, so he’ll help a lot. Lenoir opted back in. You gotta hope neither of those two get hurt. They’ll clearly miss Dye, as well as Carlberg, the latter being somewhat underrated in my book. But they have a lot of talent coming back on the D line and linebacker.

Cal
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2020

Cal
    Cal WAY too high. And sans Rosey Cheeks on D?

I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Standard Supporter

Agree with you about Carlberg. He was one of those journeymen recruits that ended up having a solid college career especially his senior year. Shows the value in experience over raw talent.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

Brand new O line. New QB, New O coordinator and a mostly new secondary. I don't care about how talented these newcomers may be, believing this team is just going to roll is pretty foolish.

But that's your dumb fuck fan base man. Those Biden bots need another 70 or two to clear the cobwebs.