Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Preseason Camp Cliff-notes (via Caple)

Full story in the WAM! you fucking cheapskates!

⁃ Edefuan Ulofoshio is the man at ILB, the second starter being Jackson Sirmon.

⁃ MJ Tafisi and Alphonzo Tuputala are the backups. Danny Hammer last practice made a big stop on a running back and took snaps with the 2s.

⁃ Laiatu Latu is the starting Buck right now and is practicing well. Far ahead of Tryon at the same age.

⁃ Rome Odunze is getting a lot of reps and is talked about by players and coaches as a standout. He’s going to play this year.

⁃ Kevin Thompson, Dylan Morris, and Jacob Sirmon are all getting reps with the 1s and it seems like a legit competition, best guy plays.

⁃ Second preseason game is today, and Lake wants to see how the QBs perform under a lot of pressure.

⁃ Best guess at OL:

LT: Jaxson Kirkland / Troy Fautanu
LG: Ulumoo Ale / Nate Kalepo
C: Luke Wattenberg / Matteo Mele
RG: Henry Bainivalu / Julius Buelow
RT: Victor Curne / Corey Luciano

⁃ Mele is likely the backup at all positions

⁃ Trent McDuffie, Kyler Gordon, and Rome Odunze are taking reps at kick and punt returners. Kyler will likely be the main returner and gunner.

⁃ Molden says walk-on Kasen Kinchen reminds him of Myles Bryant.

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Kinchen was a helluva high school player. He seemed like same caliber of walkon steal we? got with that Bellevue linebacker a couple years ago.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161

Kinchen was a helluva high school player. He seemed like same caliber of walkon steal we? got with that Bellevue linebacker a couple years ago.

Did you know John Fiala was a walk-on?
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Having Bain at RG and Curne at RT seems odd, given how short Curne is for the position and Bain actually having seen action at tackle. But what the fuck do I know.
    edited October 2020

Been drinking some Basil Haydens and watching the Bama and Georgia game.

Was also listening to an interview with Jimmy. Yet again he was asked about what he saw in John Donovan, why he brought him in, and how the offense looks so far in practice as well as what he expects from it this season. He stuck with the same lines he has all year, preaching an aggressive and downhill rushing game that will punish defenses and open up easy downfield passes for WR to make the most of.

Obviously this is nothing new. But it reminds me of his comments prior to hiring the OC. He discussed finding someone who runs an offense that he would hate to prepare for and hate to go up against. And it reminds me of all the difficulties our? defense has had over the last few years.

Loss to Cal (WE ALWAYS LOSE TO CAL) giving up 200 yards rushing. Loss to Stanford giving up 200 yards rushing. Loss to Oregon giving up 185 yards rushing. Loss to Utah with just 120 or so, but still a road grader offense with Moss. Loss to Colorado giving up 200 yards rushing.

Obviously there are some other elements involved in all those games, such as the offense disappearing entirely and a black hole in the middle prior to Ulofoshio taking over. But the type of offense was the same, run it down your throats. The spread offenses and air raid offenses have never been a problem for this defense and Lake or Kwat.

Jimmy is zigging while the rest of college football is zagging. The spread offense with lots of tempo is ravaging the SEC defenses right now. Alabama is giving up 30 a game. I think Jimmy wants to have a dominant defense that he will protect with an offense that will lean on a defense and wear them out. For years he has watched the offense completely disappear in games and leave his defense hanging.

Will it work? Fuck if I know. Probably not. So far his hires are uninspired and his recruiting has been underwhelming to say the least. But I'm a doog that can't quit. At least there is a vision with what to do. Simplify the offense, play the talent, execute. This team will have a defense that will keep them in every game. And all we have heard this offseason is attack, aggressive, punishing run game, downfield passing, the best will play, getting young talent on the field.

I'm ready for an offense that doesn't shift 1000 times and run bullshit trick plays that are telegraphed or runs backwards 20 yards for a sack. Run the fucking ball, wear out a defense, hit TE's up the seams, and play action pass to playmaker WR and let them do something with the ball in their hands.

Back to drinking and football.

+1000

At the end of the day. Football is a very simple game
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HuskyJW said:

Was also listening to an interview with Jimmy. Yet again he was asked about what he saw in John Donovan, why he brought him in, and how the offense looks so far in practice as well as what he expects from it this season. He stuck with the same lines he has all year, preaching an aggressive and downhill rushing game that will punish defenses and open up easy downfield passes for WR to make the most of.

Obviously this is nothing new. But it reminds me of his comments prior to hiring the OC. He discussed finding someone who runs an offense that he would hate to prepare for and hate to go up against. And it reminds me of all the difficulties our? defense has had over the last few years.

Loss to Cal (WE ALWAYS LOSE TO CAL) giving up 200 yards rushing. Loss to Stanford giving up 200 yards rushing. Loss to Oregon giving up 185 yards rushing. Loss to Utah with just 120 or so, but still a road grader offense with Moss. Loss to Colorado giving up 200 yards rushing.

Obviously there are some other elements involved in all those games, such as the offense disappearing entirely and a black hole in the middle prior to Ulofoshio taking over. But the type of offense was the same, run it down your throats. The spread offenses and air raid offenses have never been a problem for this defense and Lake or Kwat.

Jimmy is zigging while the rest of college football is zagging. The spread offense with lots of tempo is ravaging the SEC defenses right now. Alabama is giving up 30 a game. I think Jimmy wants to have a dominant defense that he will protect with an offense that will lean on a defense and wear them out. For years he has watched the offense completely disappear in games and leave his defense hanging.

Will it work? Fuck if I know. Probably not. So far his hires are uninspired and his recruiting has been underwhelming to say the least. But I'm a doog that can't quit. At least there is a vision with what to do. Simplify the offense, play the talent, execute. This team will have a defense that will keep them in every game. And all we have heard this offseason is attack, aggressive, punishing run game, downfield passing, the best will play, getting young talent on the field.

I'm ready for an offense that doesn't shift 1000 times and run bullshit trick plays that are telegraphed or runs backwards 20 yards for a sack. Run the fucking ball, wear out a defense, hit TE's up the seams, and play action pass to playmaker WR and let them do something with the ball in their hands.

+1000

Then again, Bama is lighting a very good Georgia defense up. I’ll also take what they have. Jesus.

edited October 2020

HuskyJW said:

+1000

Then again, Bama is lighting a very good Georgia defense up. I’ll also take what they have. Jesus.

They are on a different level

2 years ago Georgia had Frohm, Eason and Jamie Fields in their QB room

Oops
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Basil Hayden’s is gay as fuck. The coors light of bourbon.

But still you’re doing the lords work, so carry on!
    HuskyJW said:

HuskyJW said:

+1000

They are on a different level

2 years ago Georgia had Frohm, Eason and Jamie Fields in their QB room

Oops
    I’m actually really curious how this season is going to go based on the games that have been played so far. Bama is giving up nearly 30 a game and has given up 45 in 3 of their last 9 games played. Georgia looked stout, but per usual Bama ran up the score late.

Defenses look so far behind the offenses and tackling is shit. It’s the polar opposite of what we have come to expect from UW. Even last year with a massive down year the defense was 15th in points allowed. I think no games in the last 6 seasons giving up 35, which is best in the country. And in the last 5 seasons there has been 1 shutout, but an additional 4 games where the only points scored were off offensive turnovers.

Just goes to show how shitty the offense was that UW lost any games. I’m truly curious how this year will play out. My gut says with Kwat in charge it will be more of the same. But the rest of the country is not playing any defense at all.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    HuskyJW said:

HuskyJW said:

+1000

Jamie Fields
    Impressive but I think you mean Justin Fields

@YellowSnow , I guess I’m too young to have had my too good to change up what’s on my shelf every month phase. I like to change it up still you old curmudgeon.

My recent purchases: Old Pulteney, Arran, Hibiki Harmony, Angels Envy, Smooth Ambler, Balcones, and Elijah Craig. Right now it’s Basil Hayden and Makers 46.

I guess I’m just an equal opportunity drinker.
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Jezus — great fucking post.
    TommySQC said:

HuskyJW said:

HuskyJW said:

+1000

Jamie Fields
    Impressive but I think you mean Justin Fields
    Is it? I have no idea....knew it started with a J
    edited October 2020

@YellowSnow , I guess I’m too young to have had my too good to change up what’s on my shelf every month phase. I like to change it up still you old curmudgeon.

My recent purchases: Old Pulteney, Arran, Hibiki Harmony, Angels Envy, Smooth Ambler, Balcones, and Elijah Craig. Right now it’s Basil Hayden and Makers 46.

I was drunkig off Wild Turkey Barrel Select last night. 116.8 proof. Probably why I was being a whiskey dick @DoogCourics .
    I understand. It can happen to the best of us, especially when you’re enjoying a really nice bottle of bourbon.

But one must always try not to be a whiskey snob, as even a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on the shelf for $15 is worth grabbing. I say drink what you want, when you want, how you want, so long as you are enjoying yourself.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    Standard Supporter
    I'll admit. Im a fan of Basil Haydens. Their rye is pretty damn good too
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

I was drunkig off Wild Turkey Barrel Select last night. 116.8 proof. Probably why I was being a whiskey dick @DoogCourics .
    Damn good shit sir
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I believe all sports boils down to "what's that most effective plays you can do easily". A complicated play run at 95% speed is never going to be as effective as a simpler play run at 100%.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020

I understand. It can happen to the best of us, especially when you’re enjoying a really nice bottle of bourbon.

But one must always try not to be a whiskey snob, as even a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on the shelf for $15 is worth grabbing. I say drink what you want, when you want, how you want, so long as you are enjoying yourself.
    I’m just fucking with you. That said Basil Hayden needs to be bottled at 90 proof instead of 80. It’s too weak at 80 proof. Everything else on your list except for Balcones is good. I had a bottle of some smoked Blue corn bourbon of theirs. Fuck that.

And yes wild turkey 101 is great cheap bourbon. I love it in whiskey sours.